Hop To
#9655443 03/04/15
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So I have a standard pre 64 in 06 which came with a el cheapo B&C stock which is so bad fit wise that it requires shims to fit the action. It also came with the original stock which has a chip in the bottom of the stock where it meets the butt plate , no big deal except that after pulling the plate I noticed that the bottom screw hole for the recoil pad has a crack that runs off both sides of the hole. So I bought a takeoff beater only` to find the same exact crack on the replacement stock. Is this common for these stocks or do I just have incredibly bad luck? At any rate looks like I am 0 for 3 on pre 64 stocks smile

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bad luck abounds. I just hit a run of it trying to simply get one bought. I couldn't get that done. Long story. Anyway, PM sent.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've had damn good luck with buying and selling pre 64 stocks... Sorry you guys are not doing so well..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Bad luck abounds. I just hit a run of it trying to simply get one bought. I couldn't get that done. Long story. Anyway, PM sent.

Mr GunDoc7, I went thru 9 stocks today trying to help you, 2 were marksman stocks, 2 were post 64 SG stocks and the rest were far to nice for what you want and need ! Both the vent pad and solid pad were factory Winchester. Out of the 5 pre 64 4 were off guns that I put syn. stocks on to keep from messing up the nice wood stocks! I sure thought I could help, I may have a wood at ny gunsmiths that will work but they have not put their hands on it yet ! I am on the lookout for you!!! very best WinPoor

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have the 2 low comb standard wood stocks mentioned in my original post that are cracked like i said , I cant bring my self to throw them out and would give them to someone here for the cost of shipping. Im thinking they could be cut far enough past the crack for a youngster of wife to use. One isn't in bad shape (cosmetically) and isn't cut and the other is hammered and cut. Just cant bring myself to throw them out. Ill give them away for shipping cost.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dont cut that first one. Cracks can be repaired by someone who knows what he's doing and end up just as strong as the original.

I like it here. They let me swear.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
winchesterpoor,

Thanks! Please keep me in mind.

Best,
Gun Doc

BCJR is about to score some major karma points giving away stocks for shipping, and without seeing them, I agree with POPGUN that they can probably be repaired.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
ok the "hammered" stock is spoken for. If nobody wants the original stock , any suggestions on someone who does wood stock work? I am no craftsman and it might as well be done right. I think it may be worth saving on the suggestion of others here if no one wants it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
PM penndog here...you'll like his work ....

Good luck...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks , I am going to attempt having the remaining stock repaired. Thanks again for all the pointers from members here.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I will take any or all and give you something aside from shipping! PM me with needs. very best winpoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Guys as a whole Winchester pre 64 model 70 folks are just usually good people, many years ago I started looking for a low comb sporter stock to hog the barrel channel out for a 56' 06 target and build my dream "Carlos Hathcock" whitetail hammer. A fellow on some site that I did not know from Adams housecat sent me the very nicest uncut, steel buttplate stock I could never dream of for $65.00 . He was in NY state and I must look back thru emails and give him a ring!. very best WinPoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 03/06/15.
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I do still have the B&C stock I would give to someone for shipping. As I said the fit is poor at best , however , it is unaltered and free minus shipping cost to someone who could use it.

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Everything is spoken for, thanks to all

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,455
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.