Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I've got a Bushmaster ORC and I've noticed that my cold shot is a half inch high and 1 inch left almost every time with my handloads. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a cause for this? I'm a bolt gun guy, I've had AR's but I'm just now trying to get more accuracy of mine. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you clean your barrel after every shooting session? A clean bore will sometimes require a few shots to settle in but a cold bore doesn't do anything to your groups. Usually the cold bore shot is a challenge for the shooter, the rifle is rarely the problem. Try dry firing a few times before you put one down range. Unless there is something loose somewhere, I'd bet it was a shooter issue.

Last edited by wareagle700; 03/05/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Being only a bushy factory tube, it may well be the barrel doing it.

Thats if as noted you have not cleaned as above.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
It's not a clean barrel issue, it's that first round out of a mag every time. I've been reading that Bushmaster barrels can be somewhat hit or miss. It will hold around .75 MOA at 100 after you get that first shot out of the way, just wondering if there was a known mechanical issue that could be causing if.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not mechanical that I"m aware of. Unless possibly you are not letting the first round slam home.

If not try that method. Some folks slow load the first to be quiet. I do usually too... but it doesn't matter on my guns.

Bushy barrels have been accurate over the years. Some dang accurate. But as I recall they are not stress relieved adn that could be what it needs.

Probably not worth it though.

And depending on your use of the gun, I could easily just be aware and do a slight favor on the first shot since you know about it and its evidently repeatable. its not far enough off for typical shots at game or targets to worry unless you are shooting competition or tiny targets of game.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks, I will probably end up just zeroing the cold shot since it's a hunting rifle. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a common problem with an easy fix before I did that.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Did you answer how you load the first round?

RE zero'ing the first round, you must be after long range and small targets if an inch makes a difference.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I load the first round using the charging handle or just releasing the bolt, I don't load it easy. I've been known to shoot crows at decent distances but moreover it's just that I'm that anal about the first shot being exactly where it should be. I can't blame anything but myself if I miss that way. I know it isn't enough to matter but sometimes the OCD kicks in. Lol

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Crows do make small targets.

Good luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (35, 10Glocks, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 14 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.