G
laugh dillers with sticks would trump prairie dogs prone, ouch. cry

Trump Won!
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had to think about that one for a minute. I could see those dillers swinging sticks... shocked

Then, I understood. Shooting sticks would be better practice for DG than PD's prone... cool

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh, Oh hell yes. lol

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yeah fun,taking a .375 & a .338 Winnie shooting Sunday morning. smirk

You and gunner going varmint hunting with those rifles???

laugh..........................prairie dog 2 o'clock.....BOOOMMMMMM........................pd gone, trench cut for pepper plants, 2 o'clock long.......................out. lol
Yup. Shoveling is for wimps. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
elk, I'll bet that 338 Ultra did rattle the old noggin. The .338's seem to give me more punishment that either the .30's or the .375's... But they are fine calibers..

Molon Labe
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, I've had a .338 WM and a .340 Wby some years back. They both went down the road. Some folks love them, I could never warm up to either.

Now, I really like my .300 WM, 9.3x62, .338-284 and .375 H&H. Just didn't care for the .33's.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
WCH & DF I love the .338Win,RUM and the .340 Wby. The Wby brass is expensive and the RUM will do what the Wby will do. smile

Have in the gunsafe a Winchester M 70 Super Grade .338 Win and a MRC M 1999 .338 RUM.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
elk, never had the .338 rum.. Shot one that belongs to a brother-in-law, but it was ported.. Sold my .338, but still have brass and dies, just incase something comes up I can't resist..

Do have a rebarrel job on a 700 in .340.. Made my brass from Rem. 8mm mag. good stuff, had to trim some.. But I am certain, there is little difference between it and the Rum.. Don't shoot it much anymore, but still can't bring myself to part with it..

I am sure from watching your posts, you suffer from the same thing I do.. Buying is fun, but selling is tough..

Your mention some where of buying a .458 reminded me this a.m. of one I missed years ago.. A Remington C grade for about $600.. Beautiful rifle.. When I got back to Wy. from the trip, I called the gunshop and told them I would take it.. It had sold the day before!!! Still think about that rifle everyonce in a while.. Would have made a great antelope rifle!!!!

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
WCH,buying is fun,shooting them is fun,keeping them well that depends. wink The two .340's were Wby rifles and do sort of miss them but not much. Wouldn't mind having a .340 in a Mauser/Winchester CRF/MRC action and a good piece of wood.

There have been a few I got rid of that I wish I hadn't.

There was a Win M 70 .458 Win at a gunshow a coupla weeks ago,he wouldn't do a trade. frown

Probably for the better,most likely I would've shot it a few times and then tried to get rid of it!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

laugh..........................prairie dog 2 o'clock.....BOOOMMMMMM........................pd gone, trench cut for pepper plants, 2 o'clock long.......................out. lol

That is so funny and probably true as hell If I know Gunner... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 375AI is going PD shooting this summer. Partly because two cousins are coming up from Texas to go on the shoot. I'll be sure to ask them about how big PD's are in Texas. Besides I need soemthing to shoot at with that new rifle and PD's are about as good as paper targets. If you can hit a PD at 200 yards with a 375 regularly then it ought to be good enuf

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I need to send you pics of my 'rube goldberg' 375 AI. grin

I finally got gunner's .375 AI photo off my phone and on the computer.

Here it is.

Maybe gunner will tell us how he took a box of gun parts and crafted this very fine rifle...

DF

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bugger
My 375AI is going PD shooting this summer. Partly because two cousins are coming up from Texas to go on the shoot. I'll be sure to ask them about how big PD's are in Texas. Besides I need soemthing to shoot at with that new rifle and PD's are about as good as paper targets. If you can hit a PD at 200 yards with a 375 regularly then it ought to be good enuf

Let yo Texican kin shoot that big gun, more the better...

You know, they can't complain about recoil; that would taint their image as bigger than life Texicans... grin

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Yup. Shoveling is for wimps. grin

That's right, we'll just drag a little dirt over the seeds with a drag rake. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

That is so funny and probably true as hell If I know Gunner... laugh

Sho nuff BSA, you should have seen the trench when NHK9, Rockchucker, rattler and Mac went after that solid outta my 500 Nitro after K9 killed it at a pig hunt one year. shocked ROR

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Here it is.

Maybe gunner will tell us how he took a box of gun parts and crafted this very fine rifle...

DF

[Linked Image]

Thanks for flushing 'ol rube out in the open DF grin, the action came from a shot out 7MM STW Laredo I bought back about '94, 140 gr 1st gen ballistic tips at 3600 fps didn't take long to torch the throat. lol

I got the stainless barrel, sights and all from the old Gun List paper that used to be at the local newsstand, it was a new pull-off in 375 H&H, had my 'smith run an AI reamer in it and set it up.

At that point I let it sit in the safe for a decade doing nothing, kinda looking around for a nice walnut stock.

About 2003 I called Great American Gunstocks out in Cali, think that guys name was Paul,? anyway he agreed to sell me the stock that had been ordered and never picked up by the previous customer, it's a really nice stick, I got it for about 60 cent on the dollar and the 14" LOP is perfect. wink

Sent the stock, and barreled action along with the crappy [Laredo pot metal] bottom metal back to my 'smith for fitting and bedding, it turned out absolutely perfect imho, it's one of the most accurate 375's, or any other heavy medium bore I've ever fired.

Never did like the pot metal bottom metal, and this is where YOU came in, I thought, hell, it has a stainless barrel, why not some nice stainless bottom metal, saw you had some available, sent ya a check and there she is. grin

Had a set of Talley bases and QD rings along with a spare 2.5-8 matte Leupold, gingerly lapped the rings, cleaned em up and presto, she's ready, zeroed the factory irons dead on a 50, the fireform loads with the 270 gr TSX bullets are more than accurate enough for hunting, no need to waste em for cases.

So there's the story about 'ol Rube the 375 AI, oh, and because she is such a "no-pedigree" critter I outfitted her with one of my favorite slings, a Galco RS7 9 strand leather.

BTW, Thanks for the bottom metal, it was a perfect fit, and the pic too. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Had forgotten about you ending up with that SS M-70 bottom metal. That was off a .300 RUM donor that I turned into a .404J. I used Williams bottom metal on that build, thus this bottom metal was surplus. Should have recognized it... laugh

I like ole Rube... cool

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E

Here it is.

DF

[Linked Image]

Thanks for flushing 'ol rube out in the open DF grin, the action came from a shot out 7MM STW Laredo I bought back about '94, 140 gr 1st gen ballistic tips at 3600 fps didn't take long to torch the throat. lol

I got the stainless barrel, sights and all from the old Gun List paper that used to be at the local newsstand, it was a new pull-off in 375 H&H, had my 'smith run an AI reamer in it and set it up.

At that point I let it sit in the safe for a decade doing nothing, kinda looking around for a nice walnut stock.

About 2003 I called Great American Gunstocks out in Cali, think that guys name was Paul,? anyway he agreed to sell me the stock that had been ordered and never picked up by the previous customer, it's a really nice stick, I got it for about 60 cent on the dollar and the 14" LOP is perfect. wink

Sent the stock, and barreled action along with the crappy [Laredo pot metal] bottom metal back to my 'smith for fitting and bedding, it turned out absolutely perfect imho, it's one of the most accurate 375's, or any other heavy medium bore I've ever fired.

Never did like the pot metal bottom metal, and this is where YOU came in, I thought, hell, it has a stainless barrel, why not some nice stainless bottom metal, saw you had some available, sent ya a check and there she is. grin

Had a set of Talley bases and QD rings along with a spare 2.5-8 matte Leupold, gingerly lapped the rings, cleaned em up and presto, she's ready, zeroed the factory irons dead on a 50, the fireform loads with the 270 gr TSX bullets are more than accurate enough for hunting, no need to waste em for cases.

So there's the story about 'ol Rube the 375 AI, oh, and because she is such a "no-pedigree" critter I outfitted her with one of my favorite slings, a Galco RS7 9 strand leather.

Gunner

Nice "varmint" grin rifle there Gunner,give you $100 for it,cash. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Here it is.

DF

[Linked Image]

Gunner

Nice "varmint" grin rifle there Gunner,give you $100 for it,cash. whistle

laugh

Now, I thought the picture was better than that... shocked

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.