Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Power Pistol.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some guys really like Ramshot True Blue. Good luck finding any though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Power Pistol.

Travis

I'm gonna try that as soon as I can find some on the shelf.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
CFE Pistol would sub nicely for 231, Unique, U Clays, Power Pistol and HP-38 (231).....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm curious if anyone has found the substitutes to be as accurate as Unique? My 480 with it's target load, 310 gr cast over 9.7 gr unique will shoot one ragged hole groups at 25 yds, a cylinder full into 1" or less at 50, and I think if I were good enough it would group three into an 1" at 100 yds, but the best I ever shot at that distance was 1 1/2".

The dirtiness of unique has never bothered me, because it performs so well out of every gun I've found it to be appropriate for.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mog75,

Trail Boss requires a lot of "bullet pull" to burn consistently, not just from a sturdy crimp but from the case itself. This is contrary to what a lot of people would guess.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
458 Lott, I've found Universal and WSF to both be just as accurate as Unique, in a wide range of different loads. One particular load (230gr cast RN .45 in a 1911) showed a distinct improvement with Universal, but as a general average, all three powders have performed about the same for me.

Of those three powders, my only reason for choosing one over the other is just metering consistency, with WSF metering the best, and Unique the worst (although still completely acceptable).

I like Power Pistol too, but it seems at it's best with slightly warmer loads, and does produce quite a bit of flash. It's an easy powder to work with though.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Some guys really like Ramshot True Blue. Good luck finding any though.

Too fast if you are trying to replace Unique.

Power Pistol is really good stuff.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mog75,

Trail Boss requires a lot of "bullet pull" to burn consistently, not just from a sturdy crimp but from the case itself. This is contrary to what a lot of people would guess.

Actually, that kinda sorta makes sense as even though the charges are light in weight, there's a lot of "stuff" to light. I've got 30 .45/70s loaded with 16 grains under a 350gr LC for my Ruger and I didn't crimp. If they don't shoot well, I'll bring the rest home and run them through my Lee FC die.

The .38s I shoot are crimped pretty hard, but the .243s with 100gr Sierra PHs weren't and shot pretty well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Pappy348
mog75,

Actually, that kinda sorta makes sense as even though the charges are light in weight, there's a lot of "stuff" to light. I've got 30 .45/70s loaded with 16 grains under a 350gr LC for my Ruger and I didn't crimp. If they don't shoot well, I'll bring the rest home and run them through my Lee FC die.

The .38s I shoot are crimped pretty hard, but the .243s with 100gr Sierra PHs weren't and shot pretty well.

Neck tension is the first place to look, crimp has a much smaller effect on bullet pull, in comparison. Too much crimp can also ruin accuracy with lead bullets.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I should have plenty of that. The through-expander in the Lee 3-die set opened the necks just enough to seat the LCs and some Nosler .458 300 gr BTs I pulled from some ML sabots. After seating, the necks measured right at .480 and all the rounds passed the plunk test.

Now, if the weather will just cut us a little slack, I can shoot this puppy.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Now, if the weather will just cut us a little slack, I can shoot this puppy.

In the same boat, lol.

I alternate weekly .357 revolver and .44 revolver with cast bullets at the range, it was my resolution for 2015 to shoot more, but these days it's pretty tough to keep it up.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually enjoy Winter, especially since I don't have to slog over Weather Mountain to work any more, but I've had about enough, thank you.

The only CF handguns I have are .38s and .357s. 158gr swaged HP Hornadys over 4.2 gr of TB is my practice load. Very pleasant, and nearly impossible to double charge. I'm thinking about trying a dipper, just for fun, to see how it works. I also have a couple of rotors for my Lil Dandy that I need to check. They don't list TB as yet.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/04/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd planned to do more shooting and you'd think since I moved and am now less than 5 miles from the range I'd be getting in at least a weekly session. Trouble is there is a difference between moving and unpacking and I think I'm at least a month away from getting my stuff sorted out so I can get in some range sessions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We got about 10 more inches of winter fun today. Going down to 3 tonight. Global warming is a bitch.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
About 5" here, we are in Piedmont, near Warrenton. Blue Ridge usually stops a lot of the GW coming our way.

But I spent 2 quality hours in the seat of the tractor, doing our driveway and also two of our neighbors. Nip of brandy every so often to keep warm, it was fun smile

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My two hours were spent with a shovel. My neighbor usually bails me out with his Kubota, but he's down with a bad case of flu. My driveway is about 50 yards long, so I got a good workout.

My son lives a couple miles outside of Rixeyville. I haven't heard from him yet, but he works for a landscaping outfit and is either running a plow himself, checking up on his crews, or getting some sleep before going back out. The last storm had him in the saddle for 19 hours or so.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/06/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pappy....Anywhere near Wyoming Co. or Monroe Co.? Mom's side is from Peterstown and Pop's is from Oceana. and I had to be born a damn Conch in Key West.
WILL

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF:......IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!
D@MN; I miss my meds.
THE WINDS OF TYRANNY HAVE SHIFTED. BETTER TIMES AHEAD.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
mog75,

Found this to be true myself. Heavy for caliber bullets and clean cases help a bunch. Normal crimp. Thrown charges, then trickle up to your desired weight seems to work better. Those big doughnut granules will play havoc sometimes on thrown charges.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blueeyes
Pappy....Anywhere near Wyoming Co. or Monroe Co.? Mom's side is from Peterstown and Pop's is from Oceana. and I had to be born a damn Conch in Key West.
WILL

Nope, Eastern Panhandle. Actually, these days it's a D.C. suburb.

The Shenandoah River is about 5 miles to the East, and the Western slope of the Blue Ridge just behind it. Lots of pretty country nearby, and still close enough to civilization for convenience. If I were younger, I'd move farther out, but then again, if I were younger, I'd still be trying to make a living instead of enjoying the one that I earned.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
169 members (444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.