Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Got a bunch of .223 I have to disassemble and the bullets have a crimp. Impact puller, even after breaking the crimp, takes 8 to 12 hard whacks to pull. Beating a hole in my floor. So which press mounted puller is best? Hornady looks good but what are y'all using?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
HR IC

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
RCBS one works well. Generally you can still reuse the bullets. If you keep up with the inertia puller, it will probably eventually break, depending what kind it is. I did read once to use a chunk of thick solid rubber over a cement floor. Something about the rebound produces excellent results with the inertia. Those .22 bullets don't have much inertia going for them, that's the trouble.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Hornaday, I haven't had too much luck with the inertia pullers, had two, broke them and went the the Hornaday.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got the RCBS and it works ok. You will ruin some bullets until you get the feel for it, but it works pretty good.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have the Hornady puller and it's worked good for me.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the Horny press-mounted puller. Haven't pulled crimped rifle bullets but my six-gun loads with heavy roll-crimps are not easy to pull. Bullet just gets mangled. I'm guessing that your 223 loads will pull much easier but you may still get a ring-around-the-bullet from the collet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a pair of sidecutters. Remove the die from the press, put the loaded round in the shellholder and raise until it almost clears the top of the press. With the sidecutter open and laying on top of the press, close the cutter gently into the bullet at the cannelure (if the bullet has one) or at the juncture of the caseneck and the bullet. It doesn't take much pressure. Lower the ram while holding onto the bullet and the bullet comes out pretty easy and will be unharmed if you don't squeeze too hard. Try it, it works. I got a little leery of hammering with that loaded plastic hammer.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Rcbs collet works great!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yea, .223's are a bitch with a kinetic bullet puller. I once bought a 1000 round lot of Amerc factory rejects. At the end of the manufacturing process they tumbled the ammo. Most of the necks were split and the bullets were pushed back into the cases. I found a solid piece of hardwood worked best to pound on, and a good pair of leather gloves helped too.

I use and like the RCBS puller.

Michael

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Rcbs collet works great!

That's what I use. It works great with the exception of LBT-type bullets. Then, I'll give the cartridge a couple of whacks in a kinetic puller to get the bullet out a little bit where the collet can grab. Then it'll work.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
RCBS -- have broken TWO impact "pullers".

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I too broke my impact puller. I went with the RCBS collet puller just because that is what my local shop had at the time. I think if I were to do it over I would look at the Hornady Cam version. I think this would be a little easier to manipulate if you are concerned with speed/large lots of bullets to be pulled. I could be mistaken though.

Also, I have learned that if you go to the next size up compared to the bullets you are pulling, the RCBS collets usually still have enough squeeze to pull the bullets but don't mar them nearly as bad as the collets designated for that caliber. For instance, I routinely use a .257" collet to pull .243 Win cartridges apart. I even use a .284" collet to pull .264" bullets (I don't have a .277" collet) and it works quite well surprisingly. I don't know if this would work with crimped bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have an earlier version (early 90's) and found the design of the collets left much to be desired on the larger bullets and their ability to grab and pull with out marring the bullet. Went to the RCBS puller and have not looked back. It just works and the collets seem to be much stouter.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using an RCBS collet puller for about 25 years. I tried a couple of impact pullers over the years and both broke pretty quickly. For the last 15 years or so the RCBS it the only one that I have used, on everything from .22 centerfires up to .458s.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have the hornady puller and find it works great. I like the quick throw lever on top, makes things go fast when you need to pull a bunch of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have broken several impact pullers, but still keep one around for occasional use. Aside from the fact that they don't work very well for pulling light bullets, they can also loosen the cores in non-bonded jacketed bullets--not so much you'd notice, but enough to make them shoot really weird.

I use an RCBS collet puller for smaller caliber bullets, but use the side-cutter method describer earlier for larger bullets, especially those with cannelures. It's amazingly effective and if done with the least possible pressure doesn't affect accuracy at all.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Rcbs collet works great!

After I broke my inertia puller I got a collet puller and love it.

I tend to use more than enough gun
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm thinking of ordering one of these...amazingly simple but seem like they would work very well.

http://grip-n-pull.com/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have broken several impact pullers, but still keep one around for occasional use. Aside from the fact that they don't work very well for pulling light bullets, they can also loosen the cores in non-bonded jacketed bullets--not so much you'd notice, but enough to make them shoot really weird.

I use an RCBS collet puller for smaller caliber bullets, but use the side-cutter method describer earlier for larger bullets, especially those with cannelures. It's amazingly effective and if done with the least possible pressure doesn't affect accuracy at all.

MD,
I originally borrowed the idea for that sidecutter method from you.....either in one of your books or RLN. I don't remember which, but it does work and is fast. Thanks.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.