Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Kamo, would you mind posting those duck recipes?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
ojo i'll see if i can get the recipe for duck gravy from my coonass friend, its damn good.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Love my cast iron.

[Linked Image]

squirrel

[Linked Image]

squirrel gravy

[Linked Image]

bluegill fillets

[Linked Image]

fried cabbage

Shouldn't have looked/posted on this thread, I'm gettin hungry....

maddog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
KG: The backyard grill is buried under 3 feet of snow....so....

(just as one example) I seasoned the lamb chops (thick one's from Pace's in Saugus);seared in the cast iron skillet,fast and hot until browned nicely, then put the whole thing in the oven with lid on at 250 degrees for 15 minutes.

Crispy seared outside.juicy and perfect medium rare on the inside. Easy.Veddy good!

Bob - That's funny, did something similar with thick cut pork chops last week. Sauteed up some sweet onions and celery, added some chopped up apples to mix and a hint of cinnamon, then hit the pork chops in the hot pan until seared, covered and threw into the over at 325 for 20-25 minutes. Side of basmati rice and brochili. Made for a tasy meal.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Deer camp this year, deer chili with cheesy Mexican cornbread on top - with a can of cream corn mixed into the bread.

I camped next to a bunch of guys at the last bike rally I went to, they were dutch oven fanatics and shared their creations with me. Flung a craving, came home talking about it, so my GF surprised me with a 10" Lodge and all the accessories.
Having fun!
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
KG,

Funny story about my sweet ol gramma.

Seems like her 2nd husband liked to have a few at the bar before coming home from work.
Once night after how many times of fixing supper only to have him come home late and the dinner being cold she had enough.
Wimpy was his nickname came strolling in with a glow and gramma beaned him over the head with a frying pan knocking him out cock stiff. She stormed off to bed leaving him on the kitchen floor. They had a dog named Bowser so some time later there is some movement and Wimpy headed for the couch. All that was heard in a slurred voice as he got there was "I guess it is just you and me tonight Bowser"

And that is the sweet gramma that before I heard what a holy terror she was with stuff like above I would have never believed it because she treated me like I walked on water.

This story is told whenever we talk about her, she passed away in 2002 and I miss her stories and humor to this day.

Thanks for bringing this up it is a great topic. My mom cooks with cast iron that has been in the family for years and the taste of fresh walleye fillets coming from that pan is a little bit of heaven in a pan.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Showing that squirrel and gills is serious torture.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Killing me Kent with those fresh crappie -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I hear ya!

Im throwing stuff in the car right now and heading to mad dogs house!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by EdM
Does simple stuff like sausage, hash browns and eggs (to follow) count? Runnin' cast iron on cast iron in Idaho. grin

[Linked Image]

Of course, and just fantastic, Ed. I grew up in a Victorian home where our stove and ovens were one giant piece. It was a Glendale (edit: maybe Glenwood) and had 6 burners, 2 ovens, butter melter, bread box, warming/pie compartment.

It was turn of the century vintage, I believe. It was a monstrosity and a tank, and I loved it then and miss it now. It had an interesting igniting system, where you'd have to lift a brass collar, turn on a stove burner then depress a spring loaded button, upon which a four-tongued flame would shoot out from the center to reach the four main burners, igniting any that had gas on. As kids we loved watching and playing with that thing. It was like a mini flammenwerfer. wink

When Wee Muther eventually decided that she wanted something more modern, my brother and I despaired. Not as much as the boys tasked with installing the new stove and removing the old one, however (part of the new stove sale deal). The look on their faces was priceless. They eventually need to get a total of six guys to get it out of the house. It must have weighed 800 pounds, no joke. I wish I'd have had the foresight to have kept the beast in the garage. I've seen them in places selling for big money. The only thing was that Wee Muther always complained that the ovens were far too small. You couldn't even get a medium sized turkey in one. That said, the cool factor on that old stove, and yours, Ed, is off the charts.

Thanks to all for chiming in. Some awesome stuff. smile Something about these old things, so many still so useful and often better than the new fangled, throwaway type stuff we have today just floats my boat.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 03/06/15.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just looking again at some of the other pics. You boys can flat rock the iron. Outstanding!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't own a pan that is not cast iron. I learned long ago that most people use WAY too much oil in them. I can whip up anything from eggs to enchiladas with a stop at oyster stew on the way and it is grand. if you don't have cast iron experience.....get some.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Kamo, I could eat both of those chickens by myself! The skin looks just right.

Chickens? shocked Those are wild ducks, you heathen! smile Mallards, to be specific. It they were teal, which I love to cook and eat whole, there would've been four, which fit into that pan perfectly. cool

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Everyday use.
Everything from steaks to eggs to veggies.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by viking
What do yall use in the care and use of your cast iron?

I like using lard/animal fat for seasoning. Cook with different kinds of oils, but mostly peanut, canola and olive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We only have one skillet that isn't cast iron.

Used to take forever to get them up to temp on the old electric range, now that we have a gas range they come up to temp quick and are even more enjoyable to use. I'm still learning how to relate the knob positions with temp.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by eyeball
Kamo, would you mind posting those duck recipes?

It's not exact, but very similar to this one, EB.

http://www.recipe.com/rhenas-roast-duck/

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sweet Jayzus the crappie and squirrel dishes look amazing. A+, cookie!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,486
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.