Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
What is the advantage of a PTG or Williams hinged floorplate vs the factory remington? Would it be better to use a custom floorplate on a custom build (stiller/bartlein/mcmillan/gradous)? Thanks.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They're nicer and better finished. Functionally they're the same but they're prettier. If I were spending the money on top notch stuff like you list, I'd put on nicer bottom metal than factory.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

.The Williams has a (much) better fit and finish that's nicely polished and rounded where they should be rounded off. The P T & G is more "blocky" around the trigger finger guard. Lots of reports, to me anyway, about the PTG floor plate "popping" open during recoil too. Here is a Williams unit that I sent to Robar for a NP3 finish to match the 700 SS action and primarily protect it from rusting as I bought it blued in the classified's right here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not the greatest pic, but here is a Sunny Hill one piece unit that I had finished in Black-T.

[Linked Image]

Here's a sleeper that not many folks mention probably because McMillan has it hidden on their website. I can't mention who makes the unit for them, but lets just say it is as nicely finished as the Williams and Sunny Hill piece. It is made from machined aluminum and anodized black.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The popping open of the PT&G has been rectified years ago that problem was just a heavier spring being needed, they have a VERY nice piece in the Obendorf style hinged floor plates. Me personally would go economical with the very nice piece in the PT&G plate or if money is no issue I'd go with the Sunny Hill 510A which is their aluminum plate...........you can have the williams.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Popapi
The popping open of the PT&G has been rectified years ago that problem was just a heavier spring being needed, they have a VERY nice piece in the Obendorf style hinged floor plates. Me personally would go economical with the very nice piece in the PT&G plate or if money is no issue I'd go with the Sunny Hill 510A which is their aluminum plate...........you can have the williams.

I really like the PTG Oberndorf aluminum b/m - but of the 4 or 5 I have had 3 would pop open at the range under fire. The last one I bought about a year ago for my SPS 7MM-08, even shooting 120 grain bullets it would open after 5-6 rounds. This was in a properly bedded rifle by the way. I've started replacing the PTG with a Badger M4 alloy unit - sure its much more spendy but its never going to open up on me either.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The only downside to the Williams unit is the weight. Lets just say that if you like the aluminum Sunny Hill unit, then you'll like the McMillan unit (long action only). Echols used the Williams unit on his Legend rifles until he found a machine shop to make the aluminum bottom metal unit he now uses as an option. A $600 option.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The Badger M4 is nice but you have to push the release to get hinge open.....it doesn't have the Obendorf style release to get it open with ease.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at a BDL EH-6 stock so will need bottom metal. What's the weight of the Badger M-4 alloy unit?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Looking at a BDL EH-6 stock so will need bottom metal. What's the weight of the Badger M-4 alloy unit?

Its surprisingly light for how beefy it looks/feels. I can't remember the exact weight but it was about the same as the PTG Oberndorf I replaced it with. I should have the rifle back next week hopefully so can weigh it then if it helps. It will be in a Classic Edge stock.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What don't you like about the Williams unit ? Was it the Oberndorf or the push button BM ?

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The hard edge around the door mostly...... I can do without that, plus it's too heavy for my liking.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
you might want to look at hawkins precision bottom metal also....

the last few pt&g bottom metal unit I got needed a little work none of the release buttons would fit flush.....

Last edited by gene270; 03/07/15.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gene270
you might want to look at hawkins precision bottom metal also....

the last few pt&g bottom metal unit I got needed a little work none of the release buttons would fit flush.....
Gene you're right Andy makes a heckuva bottom metal also...forgot about his. Fit and finish is really nice.....not heavy either!!!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have an aluminum PTG on my 416 Rem M70 and have had zero issues with the install (McM stock) or it dropping the floor plate. Only a 100 rounds or so though.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pt&g oberndorf stainless bottom metal.
[Linked Image]

First one I tried.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by EdM
I have an aluminum PTG on my 416 Rem M70 and have had zero issues with the install (McM stock) or it dropping the floor plate. Only a 100 rounds or so though.
Good stuff!!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Popapi
The hard edge around the door mostly...... I can do without that, plus it's too heavy for my liking.

I'm not sure what you mean by " hard edge " ? To thick ? Yes, the Williams unit is heavy, but it is also heavy duty too. The Sunny Hill unit is the most custom looking as far as streamlined edges and how tightly the release lever is machined into the trigger bow. You can barely see the line it's so tight. It's also a $150 more than the Williams BM unit. Besides using the Williams Oberndorf BM unit, D'Arcy Echols also uses the Williams machined extractor on his super expensive rifles which, IMO, attests to the quality of Williams products.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
PT&G Oberndorf aluminum cerakoted in satin mag on my Borden Alpine 6.5x47L

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here are some pics of my 70 Custom Shop Africa Plains Rifle with the Sunny Hill bottom metal unit and you can see it has a much trimmer look than the PT$G unit (thinner and rounded off which takes a lot more machining for a nicer look.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
RDFinn,

How much did Robar charge to plate the Williams bottom metal in NP3?

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,188
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.