Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I recently bought a couple of RAR Predators, a 204 and a 6.5 Creed, both come with barrels threaded for suppressors. Unless you are hunting/shooting in an urban or suburban area, I can't see that the added value is worth the extra cost.

Can somebody explain this trend to me?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tactical!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My four year relationship with an M16A1 was enough "tactical" to get me through the rest of my life.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Unless you've had the chance to shoot suppressed firearms, you can't imagine how much nicer it is that they are significantly quieter. Sure, any bullet over the speed of sound is going to have a crack to it,but nearly eliminating the report is nice.
With 22lr in a pistol and the right ammo, the loudest thing is the action operating. No need for hearing protection in that case.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We're trying to get them legalized here this year.

I can see it on a home defense weapon so you don't deafen yourself if you have to shoot inside your house.

I'd probably also equip at least one .22 rimfire with one so I could shoot in the back yard if I want without disturbing neighbors.

Troll Slayer--Last Best Hope and Lord and Savior of the unwashed masses.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They would be great for a varmint rifle, or for a night hog killing rifle.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
They help a lot on varmint rifles, whether for coyotes, hogs or prairoe dogs, because they don't alarm multiple varmints nearly as much. I'm probably going to put one on some sort of varmint rifle soon, but probably not an AR, because the clatter of the action alerts animals far more than the report.

In other countries they're often considered polite, so are required for at least some hunting. We tend to think that other countries often have much stricter gun laws, but there aren't any of the fees and legal hoops for suppressors we have in either New Zealand or South Africa, two places I've seen them used, or even used them myself.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Love the 2 we now have. So nice not to scare all the deer in a half mile when the gun goes off. Have seen the deer 50 yards away from teh shot one just look up and go back to normal then even...

So nice to shoot around the house even though we are rural, without having to find a pair of plugs or muffs.

22s are pure joy, just a click clack and no hearing protection needed.

Not at all sure why everyone wouldn't want to tame that noise.

Just like taming the noise on my airboat, the quieter I can make it the happier I am and everyone else around me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Reduced recoil. Reduced muzzle blast. No dirt, sticks and crap kicked up when shooting prone. Able to shoot without taking my hearing aids out and putting plugs in! It increases my ability to shoot well.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For most reasonable shooting, as said, the allure is noise reduction. It does make a significant difference.

But don't discount the number of goofs out there who like the "tactical" part of it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No point in wrecking your hearing. Or just being loud.

My attitude comes from dirt bikes and other whatnot. Once you get the system unplugged, there's a limit to how much more noise makes sense. And some cartridges just talk too much.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I recently bought a couple of RAR Predators, a 204 and a 6.5 Creed, both come with barrels threaded for suppressors. Unless you are hunting/shooting in an urban or suburban area, I can't see that the added value is worth the extra cost.

Can somebody explain this trend to me?

They reduce the sound that is created when you discharge a firearm. So if you want to reduce that sound, people buy one.

Also, there has historically been a lot of mystique around anything Class III. But the internet has made the information so readily available, more people realize how easy they are to acquire than ever before.

Also, our current president has a desire to fucgk with anything even remotely cool so people are buying as much cool schit as they can.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It's like most "tactical" stuff...

"CDI"

(Chicks dig it) grin

At least that's what we used to tell ourselves when we were covered with the latest and greatest tacticool stuff we could get...

Oh, and yes, the suppressor equipped firearms are wonderfully nice to shoot!

Regards, Guy

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
My four year relationship with an M16A1 was enough "tactical" to get me through the rest of my life.

Good God, that's exactly how I feel, except I had mine for eight years.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Either cold, wet, and hungry or hot, dusty, and thirsty.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Then don't get one?

I've got a rimfire suppressor, about to buy a CF one rated up to .300 WM that I intend to use on several firearms and studying on a .45 ACP can that will be used on several other handguns and long arms.

Been shooting more than 50 years now and want to do all my game shooting possible with suppressed firearms, because I've not much hearing left. Plus benefits Deflave mentioned.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Bobcape
Reduced recoil. Reduced muzzle blast. No dirt, sticks and crap kicked up when shooting prone. Able to shoot without taking my hearing aids out and putting plugs in! It increases my ability to shoot well.

Bob

This is a factor with larger centerfires. I shot a buddy's suppressed 308 and the reduction in 'shock and awe' was significant. Personally, it's not worth the NFA hassle for me but he sure loves his 'can'!

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I wear hearing protection when I shoot, always ear plugs, and if the firearm/cartridge combination is particularly loud, like the 257 Roy or almost anything fired from an XP-100, both ear plugs and ear muffs.

I doubt that I will buy a suppressor, but find it interesting that Ruger has chosen to thread the barrels of the RAR Predators and Ranch Rifles for suppressors. It seems like a marketing ploy, but Ruger's marketing people have a good feel for the firearms market, so maybe this is a trend that will last and factory threaded barrel on sporting, as opposed to "tactical", rifles will become the norm, rather than the exception.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
People sure get hung up on labels. I suppose if you saw my AR laying in the corner with the suppressor attached somebody would think it was tactical.

In reality it's nothing but a calling rig.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Although I do use certain tactics when calling dogs so maybe it is tactical?

Travis

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.