Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Kenneth, here's a 120-qt cooler, with our first eight hours worth of fishing on that trip...

[Linked Image]

And the fishing was slow that weekend.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
thinking of getting one these 155# drag

http://shop.canyonreels.com/Canyon-Reels-EX-130-Two-Speed-Trolling-Reel-EX130.htm

Canyon Reels EX-130 Two Speed Trolling Reel
Canyon Reels EX-130
Click To Enlarge

Item #: EX130

CANYON REELS EX-130 TWO SPEED TROLLING REELS PACK AN INCREDIBLE DRAG! The drag power of the EX-130 exceeds cmoparable class reels of other reel makers! The EX-130 is designed for giant fishing and has more than 150 lb. of drag at max strike position!

The EX-130 is a monster reel, designed to stop monster fish! Nine stainless anti-rust bearings give the EX-130 incredibly smooth performance while packing 155 lb. of drag power into this reel.

Tested in The Northeast on giants, the EX-130 features a pre-set feature for accurate drag settings, with our easy one-touch gear shifter. A max drag of 105 lb. at strike and over 155 lb. at full drag will get any fish to the boat!

Extreme Power: Over 155 lb. of drag!! 105 lb. at max strike!
Gear Ratio: 2.5:1 / 1.3:1 Ratios
Line Capacity: 2140 yards of 200# braid
Pre Set Drag Feature: Accurate drag sets
Stainless Gears & Springs: All stainless, anti-rust bearings, gears, clickers & springs

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
In the Chesapeake Bay the numbers of 40 inch + fish has been reduced greatly the last 5 years. There needs to be a maximum size to protect the future breeding stocks.

Doc

Not just that, but the prey base needs some attention. You don't get good stripers without good food stocks, and the menhaden have been taking it on the chin (to be kind) for many years now. Get the menhaden stocks back up, and the stripers can and will follow.

Hell, the menhaden fishery, the largest per ton fishery in the Atlantic, had exactly zero regulations until two years ago and even those regs are specious.

Absolutely correct on the prey base. The river herring (alewife and blue-backed) have had a moratorium on them for 4 years now, due to the near collapse of every run in the state, and they have come roaring back the past two years. I'd like to see that moratorium stay in place for another five years. Ocean herring are OK as a species.

Our squid run seems to be holding up, but the
bunker/pogie/menhaden numbers have been horrible for years now. The commonly blamed evil doers are large out of state netters, many out of NJ, who'd come up, set nets, take fifty tons of them and steam back down to unload, then do it again and repeat.

Used to be we'd head down to a harbor, strap on a snagging hook and almost every cast you'd get a nice pogie on for bass bait. Not anymore. I've not seen any decent pogie runs on the north shore for years.

Moratoriums work, period. So do sensible regs. A good example were some places where scallop draggers had all but wiped out areas that once were loaded with them. The areas were closed altogether, much to the deep dismay of commercial guys in the fishery, but after I think 6 or 8 years or so, they did studies to find out how the cuts/shutdowns of the fishery had progressed. Guess what? The scallops had come back, and not only covered the bottom, but in many places were 6-10 layers deep.

Conservation--that is to say, SMART conservation--works. Ma Nature is a resilient old gal, but she needs a little room to work with.

Good fishing out there this year, all.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
In the Chesapeake Bay the numbers of 40 inch + fish has been reduced greatly the last 5 years. There needs to be a maximum size to protect the future breeding stocks.

Doc

Yeah, and taking more vermin like these off the water would help a lot too. Bastards.

http://www.bayjournal.com/article/rockfish_poaching_nets_waterman_federal_prison_term

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Kenneth, here's a 120-qt cooler, with our first eight hours worth of fishing on that trip...

[Linked Image]

And the fishing was slow that weekend.

What species is that lone ranger in the top of the shot looking like he's eyeballing the camera, please? Also, what do you all do with your FWSB? Do they eat OK? If you've had the saltwater (original flavor ha, ha), how do they compare?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are two walleye in there, Leighton. No limit on those, either. I've had striper and wiper (the sterile hybrid of striper and white bass) and they both are quite good eating. White and flaky meat - but one does have to shave the red meat lateral line layer off the filets for best results. Haven't had the salty kind - yet!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The special "for hire " options suck!
Example: at last count there were roughly 100 "for hire" boats running out of Montauk, NY, many running 2 trips daily. A lot of those boats are "six pack" type charter boats. Even so do the math.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Haven't had the salty kind - yet!

We must change that. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we just need to catch tuna

Exactly! If we'd just get it over with and completely collapse the fishery, we wouldn't have to worry about it.

You're jumping to erroneous conclusions, not to mention acting like an idiot. Do you know STX or anything about him? The man's a sportsman and as conservation minded as anyone I know. You're way the fugg off base and out of line.

All I know is that a guy from TX replies to a post about Atlantic Stripper regulations with, "we just need to catch tuna" and then states that he's going to send the OP a four pack of 50 class reels to tuna fish with. I charitably read that as a guy playfully poking fun at the fallout from the Wicked Tuna Chowda Head [bleep] debacle that's reduced a rich commercial and recreational maritime tradition to a desperate caricature with a mouth full of marbles. Really, I had no idea that he was serious about tuna fishing with his 50s... If that's what he uses for the tuna in Texas, then maybe this is the exception to the "Everything's bigger in Texas" rule... For the record, I make it a point to never argue about religion, politics or fishing regulations on an internet forums. I prefer face to face interactions where there's an increased likelihood I'll make an ass out of myself, be made and ass out of, piss somebody off or vice-a-versa. I've just always felt that my apologies are much more sincere in person.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jmillo
Stripers need another moratorium or gamefish status. I fished through the first moratorium and went years without seeing bass. We are headed in that direction. Big fish are few and far between lately, but it's the lack of schoolies that is truly concerning. Black market sales are rampant. Classic fisheries mismanagement based upon greed alone. Don't get me started!

I'm for moratoriums where everybody buys in and yes sport fishermen are a part of the problem. Likewise, No regulation will work without buy in and enforcement. Buy in should mean some reasonable level of regulatory homogeneity up and down the East coast, something that's historically been an issue. In this case it doesn't look like they're too far off. For the record IMHO, [bleep] the for-hire fleet. Catch and [bleep] release...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
You're out of Kingston? If so, I guess you'd know Plymouth and the recreational bluefin fishery, right? Tuna have been taken just off the Gurnet, with all manner of tackle. You familiar with it? The angler in the red shirt pics is a friend. Both of those fish he whipped with spin gear. Plenty of serious fish are taken with 50s; anything up to 250-300 shouldn't be a shocker.

Again, your assumptions and comments to my friend were way out of line.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Last edited by kamo_gari; 03/08/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Doc

Not just that, but the prey base needs some attention. You don't get good stripers without good food stocks, and the menhaden have been taking it on the chin (to be kind) for many years now. Get the menhaden stocks back up, and the stripers can and will follow.

Hell, the menhaden fishery, the largest per ton fishery in the Atlantic, had exactly zero regulations until two years ago and even those regs are specious.

Absolutely correct on the prey base. The river herring (alewife and blue-backed) have had a moratorium on them for 4 years now, due to the near collapse of every run in the state, and they have come roaring back the past two years. I'd like to see that moratorium stay in place for another five years. Ocean herring are OK as a species.

Our squid run seems to be holding up, but the
bunker/pogie/menhaden numbers have been horrible for years now. The commonly blamed evil doers are large out of state netters, many out of NJ, who'd come up, set nets, take fifty tons of them and steam back down to unload, then do it again and repeat.

Used to be we'd head down to a harbor, strap on a snagging hook and almost every cast you'd get a nice pogie on for bass bait. Not anymore. I've not seen any decent pogie runs on the north shore for years.

Moratoriums work, period. So do sensible regs. A good example were some places where scallop draggers had all but wiped out areas that once were loaded with them. The areas were closed altogether, much to the deep dismay of commercial guys in the fishery, but after I think 6 or 8 years or so, they did studies to find out how the cuts/shutdowns of the fishery had progressed. Guess what? The scallops had come back, and not only covered the bottom, but in many places were 6-10 layers deep.

Conservation--that is to say, SMART conservation--works. Ma Nature is a resilient old gal, but she needs a little room to work with.

Good fishing out there this year, all.

Wanna know where metric schit tons of your menhaden go?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Protein

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jmillo
Stripers need another moratorium or gamefish status. I fished through the first moratorium and went years without seeing bass. We are headed in that direction. Big fish are few and far between lately, but it's the lack of schoolies that is truly concerning. Black market sales are rampant. Classic fisheries mismanagement based upon greed alone. Don't get me started!

Agree.
Moratoriums don't work unless all states in the region are on board with the same rules.
Last time it was to be a 5 year deal. Fine and dandy, till states started dropping out after the second year.
We kill less than a couple dozen or so cookie cutter size bass for eating a year out of hundreds boated.
Others, see em kill hundreds.
now bunker, (pogies to L man, menhaden to others) is another story that fires me up locally.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[

Rustolium "fish oil primer" and lip stick. shocked

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Only strippers I have fished for are in inpounded water. They stock several of our reservoirs and they do really well. We have a 2 fish creel limmit and no size limit. I fish for them on occasion but usually only when I see birds and fish breaking on the surface. I use heavy bass tackle but I'm eyeing a 8wt flyrod to try on them.

I'm glad to see they are trying to help the fishery. We have slot limits on small mouth and it has helped the size and numbers. Tournament fisherman didn't like it cause they couldn't add a 17" small mouth to their bag in a tough tournament but that shows how selfish they are. I NEVER keep smallmouth but I always keep the strippers, the panfish fishing went south when stripper populations went up.

Hopefully the new regs will help the fishery, but it won't happen over night.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bucktales
[

Rustolium "fish oil primer" and lip stick. shocked

Among a lot of other stuff (fish oil pills, Omega-3 pills, etc.), but yes.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we just need to catch tuna

Exactly! If we'd just get it over with and completely collapse the fishery, we wouldn't have to worry about it.

You're jumping to erroneous conclusions, not to mention acting like an idiot. Do you know STX or anything about him? The man's a sportsman and as conservation minded as anyone I know. You're way the fugg off base and out of line.

All I know is that a guy from TX replies to a post about Atlantic Stripper regulations with, "we just need to catch tuna" and then states that he's going to send the OP a four pack of 50 class reels to tuna fish with. I charitably read that as a guy playfully poking fun at the fallout from the Wicked Tuna Chowda Head [bleep] debacle that's reduced a rich commercial and recreational maritime tradition to a desperate caricature with a mouth full of marbles. Really, I had no idea that he was serious about tuna fishing with his 50s... If that's what he uses for the tuna in Texas, then maybe this is the exception to the "Everything's bigger in Texas" rule... For the record, I make it a point to never argue about religion, politics or fishing regulations on an internet forums. I prefer face to face interactions where there's an increased likelihood I'll make an ass out of myself, be made and ass out of, piss somebody off or vice-a-versa. I've just always felt that my apologies are much more sincere in person.
if you read my whole post you'd of noticed i mentioned 80s and a 130 also, there are other fish that can be caught on 50s, not much fun catching smaller species on a 130. Been up there several times and have caught some nice stripers.

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,735
Posts18,457,589
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.