Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#9666433 03/07/15
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
last year i bought some projectiles from montana bullets.
410 size 265cast, weighed just under 270, lbt g.c. keith style bullets. He had ovened treated them to a brn of 24 if i remember right. I loaded them .7grains less than max per accurate with no 9.

No leading in the barrel, and they kind of went boom. Heaviest bullet in 41magnum i have fired so far.
They did have some recoil. I am going to chrony them as i think out of the four inch probably around 1000fps. accurate has them at 1250 to 1350 but that is with a ten inch barrel.
I think i am going to have to get a 41barrel for the contender.
I can't hardly think of anything that combination wouldn't put down.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EvilTwin is a huge fan of the .41Magnum.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Try that old can of H110 you have had hanging around...that 265 from a 4" barrel will run over 1200 fps if you want it to...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
2400 don't suck either.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I neglected by intention not to bring the lever along as i had other things i wanted to do but the 265 went in the mountain gun. sooner or later i want to run it in the lever. I was trying to get a combination load in a marlin 44 lever and revolver, but haven't figured it out yet. Mainly because the handgun is .429 and the lever marlin made oversize for some reason at i think .431 from memory.
I use 2400 a lot in these loads but that 110 has been sitting around for a long time.
I read somewhere about an ideal weight is 220 to 230 and i think i am seeing the truth of that in a bullet. I think that came from keith.
those 300grainers you sent me bob are coming up next.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/07/15.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot a 250 gr LBT WFN hard cast bullet at about 1200 fps out of my S&W Mountain Gun and also in my .41 mag Blackhawk. I use WW-296. Most of my friends won't shoot a cylinder load of them when I hand them my revolver with that load.
That load is a feral hog killing sob!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A good cast slug at 1000 or so fps is all that is needed. Choose your weight.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
As I recall, I believe John Taffin said that 265 grains (heviest bullet)was about the max for the 41 mag and accuracy/stability. But I am not a big handloader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to drive 265gr LBT style bullets at full steam for good accuracy in my .41's, but I never tried that weight in a Keith style bullet. Hodgdon's website has good data for the 265's.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

41 mag deletes the need of anything bigger to kill stuff with...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Do you still have that Good Year hat?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Of course, that picture was only taken last fall...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

"If I don't get my ransom money in 1 hour, I'm going to shoot these hostages!"

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Shrapnel, a 41 fan for several years I see...

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's hard not to be a .41 fan, much like it's hard not to be a 10mm fan.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I want a 657 so bad it hurts............. But alas kids want to eat everyday. Can you believe that selfish crap? Sometimes even more than once. Jerks

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by k20350
I want a 657 so bad it hurts............. But alas kids want to eat everyday. Can you believe that selfish crap? Sometimes even more than once. Jerks

laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been known to shoot some 41 now and then....

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
per rjm's continuing effort to have me spend money, I had a couple of boxes of c.o.p. (copper only projectile) 41 ammo come in. That has got to be one of the deepest hollowpoints i have seen. Curious to see what it does when it smacks something.
they advertise it about 1300fps, but i am going to run some through a chrony for my own benefit.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/83...-copper-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-25

you might notice who wrote that first review at the midway site.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/12/15.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'd wager that isn't BobinNH that posts here. Our Bob isn't a handgunner.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
they are suppose to have some barnes solid copper in towards the end of the month. Hope i get a few boxes of those before they get zipped up. I just want the projectiles to do my own loads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ran out of the 5000 Hornady 210 gr. XTP'S I've been feeding off of. The good news is you can readily buy them. Think I might fire up the lead pot this weekend before it gets hot out. Anyone tried the polymer coating for cast?

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ron...let me know if the 300s I sent you will fit in your handguns. One of the ones I had won't fit in the handguns but work fine in the Marlin.

Tried out some test loads on Tuesday. One was the Accurate Molds 41-250F and the other the 250L. I designed the F as it is a longer version of the V I requested. The L is for leverguns and is a gas checked boolit. Both boolits are cast in the same mold. They were loaded with 22.0 grains of H110 which should put them right at 1400 fps from a 5.5" barrel.

Range was 20 yards standing. Fired two 5 round groups out of the Freedom Arms 654 6". These loads will stand the gun right up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then fired five more rounds into each of the targets..

[Linked Image]

Groups aren't the best but every shot went where called. I fired three rounds of the 250F out of a 6.5" Blackhawk and called it quits...these loads are a little much for the small BH grips. Think I'll stick with the 220 Keith bullets with that one...

Bob

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i found a bag of new starline brass that i forgot i had so tomorrow i think i will load them up and let you know. I have got to think running that 250 with 22gr of h110 would have made elmer proud, and your wrist not so proud. I bet it does stand the gun straight up.
Those 265's i was messing with last week were not to the firewall but they werent light either, and i got a lot more recoil that i expected.

I think the 44mag with 310 grainers was easier in recoil. I probably should shoot them back to back.
300 gr in the 41 and 310 in the 44.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Ron...let me know if the 300s I sent you will fit in your handguns. One of the ones I had won't fit in the handguns but work fine in the Marlin.

Tried out some test loads on Tuesday. One was the Accurate Molds 41-250F and the other the 250L. I designed the F as it is a longer version of the V I requested. The L is for leverguns and is a gas checked boolit. Both boolits are cast in the same mold. They were loaded with 22.0 grains of H110 which should put them right at 1400 fps from a 5.5" barrel.

Range was 20 yards standing. Fired two 5 round groups out of the Freedom Arms 654 6". These loads will stand the gun right up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then fired five more rounds into each of the targets..

[Linked Image]

Groups aren't the best but every shot went where called. I fired three rounds of the 250F out of a 6.5" Blackhawk and called it quits...these loads are a little much for the small BH grips. Think I'll stick with the 220 Keith bullets with that one...

Bob

okay, i held my nose and loaded them with your suggested weight of 296. Overall length was 1.690 which put the mouth right in the crimp groove. Now the interesting part.
Fit perfectly in a redhawk
fit perectly in two six inch model 57's
fit perfectly in one 4 inch 57
would not allow cyclinder to turn in a 58
would not allow cyclinder to turn in another 4inch 57
would not allow cycliner to turn in a three screw blackhawk.
would not allow cyclinder to turn in a 657 mt gun.
It isn't that they were too long for the cyclinder there was enough room there.
The rim was protruding out a little at the rear on the cyclinders meaning they were cut differently at the throats.
to make them work in the ones where they didn't work i would have to seat them deeper, so the mouth was in front of the crimp groove. Who would have thought? I guess the moral of the story is they cut those cyclinders a little different even within the same model from the same manufacturer. I guess one solution would be if one wanted to was just seat them a couple of thousandth's deeper and check them in the particular revolver they were to be used in.

as an addendum, i had my wife fire some 265's last week, she stopped before a full cyclinder. I asked her this morning if she wanted to try these. Don't think she is going to do it.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/13/15.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
as i mentioned in the email, penn bullets makes a 300 grain gascheck for 41magnum. I wonder if it has similar issues?

this is the one i am talking about.

https://www.pennbullets.com/41/41-caliber.html

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/13/15.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Shorten the case so you can still crimp in the crimp groove or open the throats.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
as i mentioned in the email, penn bullets makes a 300 grain gascheck for 41magnum. I wonder if it has similar issues?

this is the one i am talking about.

https://www.pennbullets.com/41/41-caliber.html

That is a plain base boolit and no it doesn't have the issues that some of the LBT designs do. LBT boolits have a full diameter area ahread of the crimping groove. If ones chamber has a shot lead into the cylinder throats then this full diameter area will halt forward progress into the chamber.

Going to do some experimenting as I think that the problem is that the boolit isn't going far enough into the sizing die without filling the crimping groove with lube. On the boolits shot above I had to resize each boolit a second time deeper into the die with no grease pressure built up to get them into the chambers of the Freedom Arms. I also just received a .409 sizing die that may take care of the problem the first pass...

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RJM, try a Bisley grip frame and hammer.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for the suggestion but I have had 3 Bisleys and one Bisley Hunter. While they feel good in the hand to me the gripframe transmits the recoil right back into the palm of my hand and up my arm.

I do have a Gary Reeder Gunfighter grip on a .41 that will handle these loads but rolls better than the stock Bisley grip...

Bob

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i was out at cabella's today snoopin in their gun library.
i can't remember the last time i saw any smith revolvers in there.
i did see one ruger redhawk in .41magnum in a long barrel probably 7inches for about 600bucks, but it kind of looked like a boat anchor.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Same here...the last decent Smith revolver I saw on a dealer's shelf at a decent price I bought...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Almost never see any decent used Smith revolvers around here. Gotta beat the bushes or get out in the sticks to get those.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

i am beginning to wonder if 265grains is as far as you want to go?

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Really the 255 CP bullet is all one really needs... I just have played with the 300s for fun...they are not really all that fun to shoot which is why I generally only shoot them from the Crabines, Reeder or the FA...

Bob

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have been looking at the Accurate 41-265V...don't think one can get better than this...

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=41-265V-D.png

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you wanted a Keith this would work also...

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=41-260R-D.png

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i was on their website last night looking at those bullets.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i loaded up and fired a few of montana bullets 265 grain bullets a week or so ago. They had been heat treated to around brn23 or 24. Pretty stout with the powder load i had in them, but no leading of issues at all. I am going to try them in a carbine, and also run through a chrony both in the carbine and revolver.
I was using AAno 9 as i remember.
i did load up those 300grainers you sent me with 296, but haven't fired them yet.
one of the interesting things to me, probably useless chatter to others, is the similarities in .375 winchester, 44magnum, 41magnum, and 45 colt and i should add 38.55 when you get looking at these bullet weight/velocity things in those calibers. They are not that far apart in the carbines.
i had a friend center punch a nice mule deer with a .358 lever browning using a 220grain bullet at about 2200fps. That is within the range of the .375winchester and just a couple hundred feet faster than the 40caliber pistol/rifle loads. It was pretty nasty on the exit hole it made on that deer.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/16/15.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm going to play with the 250s I have and this 300 for the summer and if I decide that 250 isn't enough then will buy that 265 in the fall when casting season starts again...

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
If you wanted a Keith this would work also...

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=41-260R-D.png

that slovenian mould you got and i got too is not far from that.
I think mine throws to about 230grains. pretty much what elmer liked.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That Keith mold is a copy of the original H&G Keith 220. With the alloy I use it drops:
222/solid
209/HP
212/Penta-Point

I have another from a Group Buy from Lee that drops a 250 Keith...

Idaho Shooter has the 41-250A which is close to a Keith but with a slightly wider nose/meplat...

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=41-250A-D.png

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
That Keith mold is a copy of the original H&G Keith 220. With the alloy I use it drops:
222/solid
209/HP
212/Penta-Point

I have another from a Group Buy from Lee that drops a 250 Keith...

Idaho Shooter has the 41-250A which is close to a Keith but with a slightly wider nose/meplat...

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=41-250A-D.png

memory is an imperfect tool, i have made all three of those, but would have to go look as to what they actually came out at, i was thinking a little heavier.
I like that last mould quite a bit.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I go away for a couple weeks, and look at all the fun you guys are having!

The plow tractor is having carb issues this evening and waiting on a visit from the mechanic tomorrow, so I got a bit of time to check in at the 'Fire.

I have been shooting my 250's over 20 gr H110. They are shootable in the 6 inch 657, but it is more of a chore than a pleasure. I much prefer to use the SBH Bisley Hunter when I get the urge to shoot them. (and I think the Ruger is built to better handle such loads.)

I need to buy some replacement screws for my Ruger rings on the SBH Hunter. I stole the Torx screws out of the revolver rings to use on my #1 before last elk season.

I think the SBH will be down right tame with the 250's with the scope mounted on it.

Over the last three days, I have plowed up four pocket gophers, and did not have a revolver on the tractor. What kind of gun nut am I??????

I had to let the Jack Russel take care of them.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...so lets see...you have a Single-Seven and a TiTracker but you have no gun on the tractor...what kind of gun did Jack have?

You could shoot the SBHH without the screws...you'll just have to retrieve the scope between shots.

On a kinder note...I don't shoot the heavily loaded 250s from the Smiths. They will handle them fine but it is just not much fun. Fully loaded 220s are about as hot as I go and most of my Smith loads are in the 950-1200 fps range. I do run 170-200 grain bullets hot out of the 8 3/8" 57/657 and the 6.5" hunter for deer but that is about it...

As I sit here waiting to go to the range this morning it is snowing with freezing rain expected...and it's 35*....

Oh well.....Bob

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Bob, have fun! I was planning on a range trip with the S&W 58 and some other toys yesterday. I have some 210 gr. loads to try. Instead, I built and hung gates. Bu,t it was a beautiful day here. Just glad to be outside without knee deep snow or 39* rain.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RJM

You could shoot the SBHH without the screws...you'll just have to retrieve the scope between shots...//...Oh well.....Bob

LMAO!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...glad someone likes my humor....

Rooster...no range today...it continued to snow and rain till noon...then as it got warmer the wind started blowing...gusts now 30 mph...

Bob

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
And i have been running around today with shorts and a t shirt. And we have already turned on the a/c a couple of times. Global warming.
Regarding loads in these revolvers. I was looking at a ruger redhawk in 41 magnum at cabella's, their nickel version. And i pulled out a early blued 5 1/2inch blued redhawk in 41 magnum. No comparison in looks. It had a spring replacement in it and i swear it is smoother than a smith. Really tempted to shoot it rather than retain it as a safe queen.
I think am going to retain those heavier bullet loads for the carbine.
those 265 grain montana bullets i was running worked easily enough, but you know you felt the recoil when i lite them up.
I have one box of sierra i think 170's to load up. I bought them specifically to bust cast iron skillets with after reading about some guy doing it, the original gong so to speak.
i should mention that midway has in inventory those 180grain barnes projectiles, at least for a little while. I ordered some, they should be interesting.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/17/15.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...I would say "go to Hades" Ron but you're already 1/2 way there....

26 grains of H110 makes those little 170s run 2100+ from the carbine...

Bob

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Bob, I got your package in the mail today.

Thanks, there are some very interesting looking boolits in it.

Between farm chores, I was only able to perform a very cursory examination. At first, I thought the one bag was a Hollow Base. Then I decided the hollow must go in the front.

Tell me about it!

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Bob, I got your package in the mail today.

Thanks, there are some very interesting looking boolits in it.

Between farm chores, I was only able to perform a very cursory examination. At first, I thought the one bag was a Hollow Base. Then I decided the hollow must go in the front.

Tell me about it!

i am sure those are the 200grain bullets from matt's bullets, they are hollow base, but neat as a hollow point when you turn them around. I have fired them and they kind of go splat.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Matt stopped making them so I was able to get in on the group mold buy over on the CastBoolit Forums from Mehic.

Start off with 5.0 grains of Unique and work up...I used 7 or 8 I think and it was in the 1300s...needless to say it comes apart...

Bob

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I bet they would splat a pocket gopher pretty well!

I will be back to plowing tomorrow after work, maybe some will turn up.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anyone looking for bullets...stumbled across these...can't hardly buy cast this cheap DELIVERED.

I have never used Extreme but the same bullet from Berry's is my standard shooter for my S&W .41s...

http://store.tjconevera.com/x4121fpplbu1.html

Bob

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Wow, that is a DEAL. It could put a hurting on Berry's.

I am well flush with 41 cal projectiles, else I would already have a thousand on the way.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think it is a one time overstock special. One of my friends who I emailed about this ordered a K and said there was only 6K left...

Bob

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i think it is being added to, it showed 10k a few minutes ago when i finally placed an order. While this isn't the right forum, they also showed some sierra 250grain jsp for .375 too. Which would work in the .375 winchester. I haven't seen them in the stores around here period.
those .41bullets from berry's by the way, 150bucks plus probably shipping.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 04/02/15.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Wow, that is a DEAL. It could put a hurting on Berry's.

I am well flush with 41 cal projectiles, else I would already have a thousand on the way.

I could say the same about me, but finally ordered some. I have a lot of cast bullets, but that's probably cheap enough to avoid the work.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Matt stopped making them so I was able to get in on the group mold buy over on the CastBoolit Forums from Mehic.

Start off with 5.0 grains of Unique and work up...I used 7 or 8 I think and it was in the 1300s...needless to say it comes apart...

Bob

i didn't chrony mine but probably around 8 grains. I think that is a good idea to slow them down some. Next time i load some that's what i will do. I know they go splat fired from a marlin rifle.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.