B
Very rare for me

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
At risk of wearing thin the queries, here's another…

What percentage of shots do you estimate you've taken at moving (big game) animals?

a. - 0% ; never

b. - 0<25%

c. - 25<50%

d. - 50<75%

(Moving can be anything from a very casual walk to a head-down, full on dash.) Feel free to anecdote-ize as much as you wish. smile

Between C and D. However, it Really depends on the range I'm shooting them at. At 600+ yards, I won't take a shot if they are moving much. Generally they need to be head down grazing and unsuspecting. Elk hunting in the timber is an entirely different ordeal. Growing up in Nevada and shooting running jacks (every day) was a big part of my learning experience. Later in life, competition trap shooting played a big role in keeping practiced up on moving shots... I feel comfortable taking offhand shots at running mulies from 100-150 yards. But past that, there's too much that can go wrong. I'll never pull the trigger if there's an ounce of doubt. Most of the critters I shoot, die from an explosion in the heart. Pretty much sums it up for me.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last deer I shot was at a quick trot at around 175 yards. That's the only one that comes to mind that was on the move. But I guess that puts me in the "b" category.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
c

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
b, I've shot a few that were moving slowly, but only a couple that were running and they were close.

Harry
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
c. All my early years deer hunting was "driven game", or " pushing bush" as it's called here. Those deer were going flat out. I like to walk and flush game almost as much as calling or stalking, so I still shoot some on the run even though we don't push bush much any more. And when any game animal is hit, I almost always shoot the running animal again to be sure. To date my journal shows just over a third of more than 100 critters were taken on the run.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I never have (on big game).

I have never wanted to risk wounding an animal.

But If I was hungry or my family was hungry, I wouldn't mind a bit.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Counting a walk as moving it would be C. Moving out pretty quick: B.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
About 90% of deer I have killed are either trotting or running. They are however close range, typically less than 70 yards. I've killed a bunch of running deer but never shoot at any running directly away unless I've already shot once. If I've already shot at a running deer that close chances are I've hit it once and I feel obligated to put it down, even if it's from a Texas heart shot. Probably 80% of the deer I kill are shot more than once.

I killed 4 this year. 3 were running and all 4 were less than 50 yards away. The biggest I killed this year was a very large bodied 8 point at 20 yards. He was running flat out.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Definitely C, maybe, probably D as I did a lot of drive hunting back when. With a teenage son and 80+ year old father, I still do a lot of moving as the designated dog.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
c

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Between B & C, especially still hunting. Grew up shooting running jack rabbits in west Texas & cottontails in east Texas pushing'em out of old over grown abandoned RR right of ways....with a bolt action Mossberg or Marlin 22LR....made for a LOT of Practice.

My PB Game shot ever was a Pronghorn that was at a steady canter and just beginnng to break into a run like the does had in front of him...stretched over Bronco hood & fender while leaning on an elbow ...at 440 paces of a guide wearing 36" inseams.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C or D. do not like to,but where I now hunt they do not seem to stand around much. When I first started to hunt there I left a lot go while waiting for a standing shot. Now I try to pick the best open spot, and shoot.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 40%.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
B
usually just a walk, couple at a trot, but most times I wait for a standing shot. I've never left long skid marks in the snow though grin

John

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B.

Most of the movers were walking slowly, but I recall five running shots. Powder burned one of those, an elk that ran over me.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
C overall. B if you just count the last 10 years. We used to do drives and hunt deer like pheasants. Usually pass on the ones at a dead run lately

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
40% C.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
c. if they are walking I can usually get them to stop. The others are usually 3/4 to full throttle.

Watched my grandfather shoot a deer in the back of the head while running away from him when it jumped a fence at 200 yards. It dropped on the fence. He was great at running shots, but he would practice them all the time. He built an apparatus that used a clock mechanism (one where the second hand was moving smoothly, not jerking) and attached a long wire arm onto it with a double loop at the end. He made small deer shaped cut outs that slipped between the loops and set the thing up in a hole. The paper "deer" would pop out and "run" along the top of the hole for a split second and he would shoot freehand at it with his .22. It made him great at split second running shots.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We used a RC truck with a gallon tied to a whip antenna.
Good training.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (41rem, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.