Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a friend who has one of the Ram 1500 diesels and he routinely gets 27-28 mpg on the highway with a crew cab, 4wd full size truck. Has me wondering if the new Colorado diesel with a 4 cyl. diesel will be getting over 30 mpg? Thoughts?

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
it may. but you still would need a truck......

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Whisper number is 35mpg highway, of course this will be dependent on a number of things. Longer crew cab models allow for more air turbulence and drag under the vehicle reducing mileage, final drive ratio, and whether it is 2 or 4 wheel drive model. And I still haven't read which diesel engine will be installed, the 2.5 or the 2.8 Duramax that are offered elsewhere in the world. Personally, I think that with number 2 diesel and a soft right foot you'll come close to the 35mpg number, but we'll have to wait another 5 to 6 months for more details. Based on how the Colorado / Canyon are selling, with dealers unable to keep more than a handful in stock, if you really want one I suggest you get an order in early with your dealer.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Low 30s would be really something. I am averaging about 20 with my 2013 Silverado

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the EIA, regular grade gasoline average price is currently $2.367, while diesel is $2.944, thus diesel 24.4% higher. A diesel truck has to get 24.4% better mileage simply to 'pay' for the increased fuel costs.

EPA estimated mileage for the V6 gas Colorado is 26 MPG, so a diesel would have to earn an EPA average of 32.3 MPG just to break even on the fuel. This seems pretty unlikely given the DPF and other emissions stuff modern diesels are saddled with.

Add in increased maintenance and purchase price and it is probably a losing bet. On the plus side, a diesel should go farther before requiring a rebuild, but new gassers go a long time too. You will recoup some of the increase in purchase price when selling, but it is not going to substantially sway the payback.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
don't forget you need to add DEF to the price per mile.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by micky
don't forget you need to add DEF to the price per mile.

Unless you're towing heavy (Probably unlikely with the Colorado) DEF is not a significant cost. The diesel SUV's that we service will go an easy 5-7k miles on 3 gallons of DEF, about $12.00 worth. My Cummins, OTOH, will drink a gallon every 500 miles when towing heavy. Normally get about 750-1000 mpg when running light.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
From the EIA, regular grade gasoline average price is currently $2.367, while diesel is $2.944, thus diesel 24.4% higher. A diesel truck has to get 24.4% better mileage simply to 'pay' for the increased fuel costs.

EPA estimated mileage for the V6 gas Colorado is 26 MPG, so a diesel would have to earn an EPA average of 32.3 MPG just to break even on the fuel. This seems pretty unlikely given the DPF and other emissions stuff modern diesels are saddled with.

Add in increased maintenance and purchase price and it is probably a losing bet. On the plus side, a diesel should go farther before requiring a rebuild, but new gassers go a long time too. You will recoup some of the increase in purchase price when selling, but it is not going to substantially sway the payback.

Economically, you make a good case. For me, the torque of a good diesel makes the driving experience, cost be damned smile

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of course, I drive a Duramax, so I have not listened to my own advice I guess...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I too have a 2003 Duramax, with 31,000 miles on it, only use it when I need a heavy duty truck.

My most used ride is a 2012 Ram 1500 crewcab with the Hemi. Has been a good truck. If this new offering got like 30 mpg local and 35 mpg hwy I may consider.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by badger

For me, the torque of a good diesel makes the driving experience, cost be damned smile

Yes. A completely different driving experience, you can't put a price on it. Diesel makes power around 2,000rpm where the engine spends most of it's time, a gas engine has to buzz 2-3x that fast to get the same power. And torque at half the engine speed of a gas with a much flatter curve. Much more enjoyable to drive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No disagreement there. For a grocery getter, light towing, and heavy payloads, a gasser works fine. I fear it would be hard to go back to one after driving a duramax for the reasons you cite.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EPA estimated mileage for the V6 gas Colorado is 26 MPG, so a diesel would have to earn an EPA average of 32.3 MPG just to break even on the fuel.

I'd believe 32MPG from the diesel 100 times more than I'd ever believe a v6 gas engine getting 26mpg.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd have to wonder if the little coal burner in the Colorado is going to give that torquey, punchy diesel power feeling. I'll agree that driving a newer diesel in a nice pickup is an enjoyable experience, drove my dad's new 6.7 Ford from Oklahoma to South Dakota and he couldn't hardly pry me out of the driver seat. But I have a hunch that the little guy they're sticking in these little trucks will be more reminiscent of driving an old 6.2 as opposed to a Duramax.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
I'd have to wonder if the little coal burner in the Colorado is going to give that torquey, punchy diesel power feeling......... But I have a hunch that the little guy they're sticking in these little trucks will be more reminiscent of driving an old 6.2 as opposed to a Duramax.

It won't feel like a V8. But compared to the V6 gas engine, max torque is 100ft/lbs more and at 2000 vs the gas truck max tq is at 4000. Max hp is less but about 3000 rpm lower, where the gas engine is probably making about the same power. It'll feel a lot torquer where it's needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet it will feel just fine. I drove a Chevy Cruze with the little diesel and it was a tourqey little SOB.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O

Must be a regional thing, out here diesel is cheaper...

I too have been reading and waiting to check out a Colorado duramax, after 10 years my old Dakota is nearly at 300k and the Colorado is the only truck that is similar size that I like.

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by old_willys

Must be a regional thing, out here diesel is cheaper...

I too have been reading and waiting to check out a Colorado duramax, after 10 years my old Dakota is nearly at 300k and the Colorado is the only truck that is similar size that I like.

Well, to tell the truth, your diesel is about the same price as ours, but your gas is near a buck higher..... Never could figure that out.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Only way it would even interest me would be if it could get around 35 MPG or better.

I already have a 2006 Duramax for the heavy duty stuff. I need a run around, daily driver possible hunting truck.

Oh yea, regular gas is $2.35/GAL. here and Diesel is $3.09/GAL.

Last edited by BIGR; 03/17/15.

NEVER GIVE UP
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The 3.6 liter gasser is a good motor but you have to rev the crap out of it to get the power and it doesn't have much torque. I had a Caddy CTS with that motor for a couple of years.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think I'd wait and get the Toyota or Nissan diesels which are coming up. Now matter what engine, a Colorado will still be a Colorado (or Isuzu, same thing). Nothing wrong with the engines, but the rest of the truck will implode before the motor dies off.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.