Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
I'd give you a few tips since I'm an expert on these trucks now...but I'll let you figure it out on your own. grin I do think it was pretty bitchin as-is. Or should I say, as-was. laugh

I can't wait to see the progress and all the stuff I can do better on my next one! I'm looking forward to it!

Yea and amen! There were many years of driving that I would have been damned proud to have that truck as my daily driver just like it looked in the first picture.

BUT, knowing you, the re do is going to be pretty fantastic.

Have you thought about dropping a 7.3L TurboDiesel in the power plant compartment? A guy can make a BUNCH of HP and Torque come out of those motors, and still be able to afford feeding it as a daily driver.

I have had F-250's with 390's and 460's and they just cannot pass up a fueling station. My new to me '97 F-250 with the 7.3 Turbo is a wonderful truck for all around use. It is even quick enough from a stop sign or freeway on ramp to be fun to drive. And it is bone stock for now.

Other side of the equation, I wonder what kind of fuel mileage a guy could get with a properly built gasser 302? Hopped up just a little, and allowed to breathe, it might just make all the power that is needed and be reasonable in the truck groceries dept.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Very cool, Mr Dave.

You be makin' memories with that boy of yours!

WAY mo' important than trucks.

Congrats, sir.

But...don't you have payin' jobs? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looking forward to this project Dave. Hi lift trucks do have a good advantage you know...........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The truck is after hours and weekends. I have plenty of paying work that has priority.

I have a feeling Nathan's priority is on the truck though. grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now you're talking my language!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Radio Flyer needing restoring...how much? grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by tzone
I'd give you a few tips since I'm an expert on these trucks now...but I'll let you figure it out on your own. grin I do think it was pretty bitchin as-is. Or should I say, as-was. laugh

I can't wait to see the progress and all the stuff I can do better on my next one! I'm looking forward to it!

Yea and amen! There were many years of driving that I would have been damned proud to have that truck as my daily driver just like it looked in the first picture.

BUT, knowing you, the re do is going to be pretty fantastic.

Have you thought about dropping a 7.3L TurboDiesel in the power plant compartment? A guy can make a BUNCH of HP and Torque come out of those motors, and still be able to afford feeding it as a daily driver.

I have had F-250's with 390's and 460's and they just cannot pass up a fueling station. My new to me '97 F-250 with the 7.3 Turbo is a wonderful truck for all around use. It is even quick enough from a stop sign or freeway on ramp to be fun to drive. And it is bone stock for now.

Other side of the equation, I wonder what kind of fuel mileage a guy could get with a properly built gasser 302? Hopped up just a little, and allowed to breathe, it might just make all the power that is needed and be reasonable in the truck groceries dept.

I reckon Northern Dave has it figured out without any help, and has likely forgotten more about rebuilds that you, me, or anyone else here is likely to know or learn.

Why not just STFU, sit back, watch, and appreciate without trying to twist something into whatever fantasies of "right" you might have?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
But Dave is pretty easy going, doesn't mind hearing ideas.

It is my opinion that a realistic budget needs to be in place. Your build plan is basically defined by your budget.

I prioritize, what's most important, what NEEDS work vs what is OK but could use improvement.

This truck will get the most bang for the buck. And its not going to be a lot of bucks.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am looking forward to seeing how this one comes out.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
This is going to be a cool thread, looking forward to it

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
But Dave is pretty easy going, doesn't mind hearing ideas.

It is my opinion that a realistic budget needs to be in place. Your build plan is basically defined by your budget.

I prioritize, what's most important, what NEEDS work vs what is OK but could use improvement.

This truck will get the most bang for the buck. And its not going to be a lot of bucks.

I think I have a form for "change orders" I could share with your oldest boy child....he could add the number of hours of work he will put in for you in exchange for you financing a motor like stxhunter has posted pics of. We already know its going to look great when it rolls out the shop door.

Have fun with the project, I did something similar with my dad and it was some of the best times we ever had.

P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Watching. Looking forward to this.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave knows I was joking. I'm wrapping up my 78 for f-150 project, which Dave was VERY helpful on it with all my dumb questions.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
the bone stock 351M will remain in the truck (for now). Yes Nate has ideas for a cummins 12 valve or a 7.3, or a built up 400.

That is likely what we will do, we will keep our eyes open for a rebuildable 400 and we will do a mild perf build, possibly add EFI.

But not right now.

The 351 runs excellent, doesn't use oil, cools nice, its dependable. They don't make much power, but it's a 4 speed truck and it does have low range....

It'll be fine, right now we want to take care of the rust and make the truck look nice.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by safariman
[quote=tzone]Other side of the equation, I wonder what kind of fuel mileage a guy could get with a properly built gasser 302? Hopped up just a little, and allowed to breathe, it might just make all the power that is needed and be reasonable in the truck groceries dept.

wut?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A mild, modern cam and an ignition recurve would wake it up for not a lot of money.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I LOLed...

Don't think Dave didn't either. I LOL'ed too!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
A roller cam 302 (94 or later) with efi, headers and an overdrive manual trans behind it wouldn't be a terrible thing to do to that truck, if there would be room for the trans between the divorced t-case and the engine.

but, we aint doing any of that right now.

When I drive this truck I can get 12 mpg with it.

when a boy drives this truck it's 8 to 10 mph because most of the run time on the engine is idling for hours in a convenience store parking lot or other kid hang out areas.

My run time is where the rotation of the crank is harnessed for propelling the truck down the road, for transporting me and my items from point A to point B.

Young people just like to let the engine run, for no other reason than to complain about fuel mileage.

grin

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by mathman
A mild, modern cam and an ignition recurve would wake it up for not a lot of money.

No squeeze.

compression ratio is 8:1 on this engine.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was 19 with a mid 80's 302 in an 84 Bronco....I put a new intake and 4 bbl carb......and a less restrictive exhaust......I broke the exhaust off behind the cat....and welded up something that exited just in front of the rear axle......

it may have "breathed better" but 19-24 year old males are better at turning gasoline into noise....with the occasional acceleration mark(s) on the highway...or sidewalk.

the cummins swap makes me grin.....

Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,208
Posts18,466,122
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.