Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
LKEYES Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I know this has been covered before, but I thought I would see what's new out there. I picked up a pair of Crispi boots and the sales rep at the local store said to only use silicone spray on them, but that stuff has a horibble smell. I have always used Obenauf's LP products and I would think this would still work good to protect them and prolong the life of these boot. It took many hours of overtime to pay for these, but I feel they are worth the investment.

Any suggestions on using something different that has been proven?

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bees wax. Heat the wax to liquid, warm the boots with a hair dry and paint on the wax. Let it absorb and reapply if necessary.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd contact Crispi and use what they recommend vs. what the sales rep of a local store told me.

Last edited by pointer; 03/10/15.
L
LKEYES Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
That bees wax sounds like a pretty good trick, thanks for sharing!!

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
L
LKEYES Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I guess I should just call them I guess, see what they have to say about it.
I'll post back once I talk with them.

- Dale Carnegie
IC B2

N
N
I have a pair off Crispis that I love and have worn for three years now and agree they're worth the investment. Although I've used Obenauf's in the past with good results I decided to use Kenetrek boot wax because Kenetrek claims it was specially formulated to ensure the rubber rand wouldn't separate from the leather. Although I have no proof that other waxes would be bad I can tell you that three years of kenetrek wax has worked great on my boots.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Docbill
Bees wax. Heat the wax to liquid, warm the boots with a hair dry and paint on the wax. Let it absorb and reapply if necessary.

Docbill;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully this finds you well.

I'll second your method as the best one I've run onto to date.

I've done my Danners, Meindls and work boots too. It stays for at least 6 months on the work boots and seems to make them less susceptible to cuts as they are a wee bit more "slippery" for lack of a better term.

Good luck to the OP in waterproofing his boots and all the best to you all this spring.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
LKEYES Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I really appreciate it!!

Like I stated yesterday, I'll contact Crispi today and report back, but the hot bees wax sounds pretty good to me. The Kenetreck wax is a great option as well.

- Dale Carnegie
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bees wax will stiffen the boots. The Obenauf's will not stiffen as much. I've done both and for Danner type boots I like the bees wax. For my Lowa Hunter extremes I like the Obenauf's better. My 2 cents of experience.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've used both Kenetrek Boot Wax and Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. I apply both with my (bare) hands to work the wax into the boots. Both work fine but, my boots seem to absorb the Obenauf's just a little better and without excess residue. I like both. A hair dryer helps to speed up the process. The boots on which I use these waxes on include Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, Asolo Sasslong and a pair of snake boots.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LKEYES
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I really appreciate it!!

Like I stated yesterday, I'll contact Crispi today and report back, but the hot bees wax sounds pretty good to me. The Kenetreck wax is a great option as well.

Well, what'd they say?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
LKEYES Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
So I talked with Crispi and what they stated as the best treatment for their boots was Nikwax. Beeswax based treatments will clog the pores of the leather and won't allow the Goretex to work properly. Goretex is designed to allow a boot to breath but keep moisture out. When the leather gets clogged up, there ends up being a layer of moisture between the Goretex and the inside of the leather that can't go anywhere. I had heard this before, but could never verify it until I talked with the customer service rep at Crispi.

So now the question is has anyone used the Nikwax treat the before and how do you like the way it holds up to use?

- Dale Carnegie
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
However...the Goretex bootie is on the inside next to your feet. Yes, it'll stop the water, but it won't keep it out of the insulation. After a few hours in wet, sloppy snow, the insulation is saturated. Your feet might be dry but it's like putting a plastic bag over your socks and standing in ice water. What I would like is a way to keep the insulation dry.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I use a number of leather boots for different tasks. For backcountry backpack hunting where I cover many miles and may pack in and out a heavy load, side-hilling, etc., I'm wearing Kenetrek Extremes for support. Bowhunting when covering lots of ground and hiking with a light pack and have no need for side-hilling with a heavy pack, etc., I'm wearing Redwing 914. Between those two ends, I wear several different leather boots for different chores, running in the $300 to $500 price range.

Things I've confirmed true to me with my use and experience:

A high end quality boot leather will have tight enough pores that they can be made waterproof to a durable degree, even without a waterproof bootie, using beeswax. This would be on the extreme end of hard use in very wet conditions.

Mink oil use does soften leather, and though I use it routinely on certain boots I own which are designed to be soft and comfortable, I would not use it on boots designed to give support with stiff leather, especially if the leather is dry tanned.

Nikwax works well on my light hiking boots, but it appears to me to work more like an invisible water-repellent finish (DWR) that is not near as "durable" as other applications when exposed to hard and rough use.

For hard use wearing stiffer support backpack boots, such as my Kenetreks, especially if the boot has a rubber rand, I've had great results using their Kenetrek Boot Wax. Even with Thinsulation and a waterproof membrane bootie, this boot wax has worked top shelf for most anything I've thrown its way. Not to the degree of raw waterproof as straight beeswax, but a great balance of protection without making the boots act like a non-breathable sweat box. In comparison to something along the lines of Montana Pitch Blend, I find the Kenetrek Boot Wax to be superior when it comes to a treatment for these stiffer boots, which you'd want to stay stiff for needed support.

When it comes to softer leather boots with a membrane bootie, I'll use either the mink oil, or something along the lines of the Pitch Blend if I need an added level of waterproofing. Hard working boots, such as loggers, needing an extra heavy level of protection, but not to the degree of straight beeswax, I'll generally use something like Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP.

I do not have cold feet and generally do not need much if any boot insulation. Something suggested to me many years ago by AJ Brooks when the trend in mountain boots were going toward membrane booties, was to get boots with some insulation. The lower levels of Thinsulate insulation does not make your feet too hot, but better maintains your feet at a constant temperature, even when in warmer conditions. The added benefit with this insulation is that it speeds the drying of moisture from inside your boot, similar to how stuffing your boots with dry newsprint overnight helps wick out moisture. I have repeatedly proven their advice to be true and correct with my experiences. So as a result and example, my Kenetrek Extremes having a membrane and Thinsulate insulation. When combined with their boot wax and good socks, my feet stay comfortable and dry, without any degrading of the boot leather, to include while backpack hunting many miles over numerous days. One trip using my current pair, I covered 21 miles in three days in rugged country with lots of rain, side-hilling, scree slopes, etc., and the wax held up well, my boots managed the moisture, my feet stayed dry, and the leather maintained support and did not wet out. I am not confident an application of Nikwax would have held up like the "greased" leather.

Best of luck smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 03/21/15.

οΏ½I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.οΏ½

- Clint Eastwood
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've used and been pleased with Nikwax. They have different products. The "sponge on" or dauber type worked pretty well for leather boots and was more durable than I expected. It doesn't fill the leather like wax. The spray on type worked well on surfaces away from contact and fabric but didn't last as long on the toe section after walking through grass, brush, wet snow, etc. You might consider using wax on the front quarters and toe section with Nikwax on the less exposed part of the boot.

L
LKEYES Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by GaryVA

I use a number of leather boots for different tasks. For backcountry backpack hunting where I cover many miles and may pack in and out a heavy load, side-hilling, etc., I'm wearing Kenetrek Extremes for support. Bowhunting when covering lots of ground and hiking with a light pack and have no need for side-hilling with a heavy pack, etc., I'm wearing Redwing 914. Between those two ends, I wear several different leather boots for different chores, running in the $300 to $500 price range.

Things I've confirmed true to me with my use and experience:

A high end quality boot leather will have tight enough pores that they can be made waterproof to a durable degree, even without a waterproof bootie, using beeswax. This would be on the extreme end of hard use in very wet conditions.

Mink oil use does soften leather, and though I use it routinely on certain boots I own which are designed to be soft and comfortable, I would not use it on boots designed to give support with stiff leather, especially if the leather is dry tanned.

Nikwax works well on my light hiking boots, but it appears to me to work more like an invisible water-repellent finish (DWR) that is not near as "durable" as other applications when exposed to hard and rough use.

For hard use wearing stiffer support backpack boots, such as my Kenetreks, especially if the boot has a rubber rand, I've had great results using their Kenetrek Boot Wax. Even with Thinsulation and a waterproof membrane bootie, this boot wax has worked top shelf for most anything I've thrown its way. Not to the degree of raw waterproof as straight beeswax, but a great balance of protection without making the boots act like a non-breathable sweat box. In comparison to something along the lines of Montana Pitch Blend, I find the Kenetrek Boot Wax to be superior when it comes to a treatment for these stiffer boots, which you'd want to stay stiff for needed support.

When it comes to softer leather boots with a membrane bootie, I'll use either the mink oil, or something along the lines of the Pitch Blend if I need an added level of waterproofing. Hard working boots, such as loggers, needing an extra heavy level of protection, but not to the degree of straight beeswax, I'll generally use something like Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP.

I do not have cold feet and generally do not need much if any boot insulation. Something suggested to me many years ago by AJ Brooks when the trend in mountain boots were going toward membrane booties, was to get boots with some insulation. The lower levels of Thinsulate insulation does not make your feet too hot, but better maintains your feet at a constant temperature, even when in warmer conditions. The added benefit with this insulation is that it speeds the drying of moisture from inside your boot, similar to how stuffing your boots with dry newsprint overnight helps wick out moisture. I have repeatedly proven their advice to be true and correct with my experiences. So as a result and example, my Kenetrek Extremes having a membrane and Thinsulate insulation. When combined with their boot wax and good socks, my feet stay comfortable and dry, without any degrading of the boot leather, to include while backpack hunting many miles over numerous days. One trip using my current pair, I covered 21 miles in three days in rugged country with lots of rain, side-hilling, scree slopes, etc., and the wax held up well, my boots managed the moisture, my feet stayed dry, and the leather maintained support and did not wet out. I am not confident an application of Nikwax would have held up like the "greased" leather.

Best of luck smile

Thanks for the real world experience report!!

- Dale Carnegie
L
LKEYES Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by oklahunter
I've used and been pleased with Nikwax. They have different products. The "sponge on" or dauber type worked pretty well for leather boots and was more durable than I expected. It doesn't fill the leather like wax. The spray on type worked well on surfaces away from contact and fabric but didn't last as long on the toe section after walking through grass, brush, wet snow, etc. You might consider using wax on the front quarters and toe section with Nikwax on the less exposed part of the boot.

That has been a thought I've had as well, treating different areas differently, but u was really hoping to be able to find some type of middle ground and run with that. I'm kinda leaning towards the Kenetreck wax and see what happens as well. With Kenetrek based here in Bozeman I'll get a chance to go down there and visit with them about this as well.

- Dale Carnegie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a boot is truly water proof, one will get wet from the inside. If one wants water proof, he has to go with impermeable rubber or plastics and in cold temps will still experience condensation.

The only boots that will keep my feet dry for a full day of hiking in rain, slush, or wet mud are my packs, and that's simply because there's 1/2 to 3/4 inch of wool insulation between me and their outer surfaces. I dry the boots overnight and swap out spare liners daily.

When we get one of those 90+ hot summer days all of my boots go outside into the sun and get lathered up with whatever treatments the builders suggest. Makes them somewhat water resistant, but certainly not water proof. With the exception of my waders and irrigators, I've never seen water proof boots.

Regardless of treatment, a permeable boot is going to get wet with a couple days of hard use in wet conditions.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/23/15.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The coldest my feet have ever been was in pack boots. The day started out warm and sunny hiking in 10" of snow. My heavy socks got wet from sweat. After noon, it turned cold with the temp dropping from 40 to about 20 in an hour. I was 2 miles from the truck. By the time I got there, my feet were close to frostbite from the water in the boots.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Two questions after reading this thread:

Why not wool socks if your feet are bound to get wet? Wouldn't the wool keep them warm enough?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.