Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jeffpg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey fellows,

I'm looking for information to help me choose the best headlamp for backpack hunting.

My main requirements are a lightweight and high performance light that uses replaceable batteries and offers a range of brightness level adjustments and a red light option.

I don't mind spending a little cash on a good one. I want the best all around light I can find.

Thanks for your input!
Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can pretty well point and shoot to meet your requirements... go to www.rei.com and peruse their wares and read the reviews.

I generally buy Black Diamond headlamps, and usually get the previous year's model on around 50% off.

There's really no need to pay retail for a headlamp... for whatever reason they're "upgraded" as frequently as Detroit auto's...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though I don't have one yet, I'm thinking my next one will be a Zebralight.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was impressed with the performance of Carl's zebralight the last couple of falls, but it seemed to smoke through batteries. For that reason I intend to stick with Mammut/BD/Petzl, at least for the short term.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can pretty well point and shoot to meet your requirements... go to www.rei.com and peruse their wares and read the reviews.
Do your research at REI but buy elsewhere unless you want your money to go to anti-hunting causes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Do your research at REI but buy elsewhere unless you want your money to go to anti-hunting causes.

You have facts to back this up?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

― George Orwell

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
Hey fellows,

I'm looking for information to help me choose the best headlamp for backpack hunting.

My main requirements are a lightweight and high performance light that uses replaceable batteries and offers a range of brightness level adjustments and a red light option.

I don't mind spending a little cash on a good one. I want the best all around light I can find.

Thanks for your input!
Jeff

Petzl Taktikka.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

VERY short on any details at all. That site doesn't list amounts, dates, or anything else. They make some claims, but do nothing to back it up.

Come on, #6 is a LOCAL fundraiser for HSUS raising $2k? $2k, really? Hell, HSUS runs a bunch of local animal shelters and there's nothing saying that the promotion wasn't for that.

The lack of detail for the "supported" organizations was even more specious. Yes, Cabela's put $1M into the CSC. Great. When? What else has Cabela's supported (and I think they do a good job, but come on, give me some details). Don't you think maybe detailing Cabela's support of RMEF or DU or NWTF or anything else might help?

NO details about Bass Pro or BiMart; don't they put any funding toward anything at all? If so, tell me what and how much. To then to tout those three and then your local shops? The biggest threats to your local shops are Cabela's, Bass Pro, and BiMart.

Sorry, but I need a lot more than whatever that blog passes itself off as to make an informed decision about what to buy and where.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a few Black Diamond Spot lamps that are very versatile but they are plastic, take 3 batteries and I've had them break. I bought a Zebralight because it's all metal and uses one AA battery. I like it, but it just does one thing at different levels. The high setting goes away too fast, no red lamp and no flood. That Petzl looks pretty nice.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
4ager, HSUS is not the same organization that runs local animal shelters and its headed by Wayne Pacelle.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand that very well.

I also, in about 10 seconds, found out that the OOC site was wrong on where the Muck Boot donation went. Fact checking goes a long way.

http://www.muckboots.com/blog/the-muck-boot-company-donation-to-a-local-humane-society/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

VERY short on any details at all. That site doesn't list amounts, dates, or anything else. They make some claims, but do nothing to back it up.

Come on, #6 is a LOCAL fundraiser for HSUS raising $2k? $2k, really? Hell, HSUS runs a bunch of local animal shelters and there's nothing saying that the promotion wasn't for that.

The lack of detail for the "supported" organizations was even more specious. Yes, Cabela's put $1M into the CSC. Great. When? What else has Cabela's supported (and I think they do a good job, but come on, give me some details). Don't you think maybe detailing Cabela's support of RMEF or DU or NWTF or anything else might help?

NO details about Bass Pro or BiMart; don't they put any funding toward anything at all? If so, tell me what and how much. To then to tout those three and then your local shops? The biggest threats to your local shops are Cabela's, Bass Pro, and BiMart.

Sorry, but I need a lot more than whatever that blog passes itself off as to make an informed decision about what to buy and where.

I'm with you 100% on this one. Remember how anti Starbucks was? And then they supported guns in their stores until the idiots on our side screwed it up.

Local brewery Sierra Nevada supposedly supported the Sierra Club and all the Jeep guys make a stink about it if they see you drinking their beer. Problem is, nobody can show any proof. WTF? So they will blindly hate a company and raise issue with others to "spread the word" with zero facts to back it up. They operate on the same principals as the liberals. But calling them on their BS makes you an anti because you don't support the cause. No, I do support the cause, but I'd like facts to back up the claims please.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Blah, blah, fugging blah.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higbean

I'm with you 100% on this one. Remember how anti Starbucks was? And then they supported guns in their stores until the idiots on our side screwed it up.

Local brewery Sierra Nevada supposedly supported the Sierra Club and all the Jeep guys make a stink about it if they see you drinking their beer. Problem is, nobody can show any proof. WTF? So they will blindly hate a company and raise issue with others to "spread the word" with zero facts to back it up. They operate on the same principals as the liberals. But calling them on their BS makes you an anti because you don't support the cause. No, I do support the cause, but I'd like facts to back up the claims please.

Exactly.

No, REI is no an ardent supporter of hunting. However, they were one of many companies that pushed like Hell to get the Land & Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) through Congress. They have partnered with a lot of groups to advance getting kids outside and they have done very good work through funding in the Conservation Alliance (with other companies like Filson and many others). Are they "perfect"? Hell no. Are they a full bore hunting supporter. No. Are they "the enemy"? Not that I've seen and certainly not that's presented in anything approaching fact. They fund the Izaak Walton League, too, and they are definitely not "anti-hunting".

Patagonia is no pro-hunting/fishing, but they aren't anti, either. They've funded and continue to fund Trout Unlimited. Yes, Patagonia is left leaning. They are a very high end clothing and gear retailer that caters primarily to the mountain climbing and backpacking crowd. That's their business.

Gerber gives product donations to f'kin' everyone. They probably donate as much or more to hunting and fishing organizations as any other blade manufacturer out there. I'm a lot more concerned about their cheap ass products than I am about whether they donate stuff across the board. They are in the business to sell knives, and (perish the though) people other than hunters buy knives.

InterMedia Outdoors is in the business to market companies and organizations. They are PAID to promote people, and promote people that pay them. Come on, this one really isn't that hard to figure out, is it? Opposing hatchery fisheries and supporting the restoration of native fish stock is now BAD for sportsmen? WTF?

Ninkasi Brewing is a tiny microbrew. If they are one of our "5 biggest enemies", we're in really, really good shape.

That OOC site is very, very short on any details and very long on finding a way to promote itself. Doing just a little research would go a long, long way.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I shop there, just got off their website. I need a good cooler for AK this summer, thinking about a Yeti. The dividend plus 20% off coupon goes a long way on big ticket stuff like that.

I know a few people who work there that are hunters.

I just think people should know that the HSUS is not what many think it is.

I've always been a Petzl guy, never had a problem with the Tikkas.

PS, "blah" is not a proper noun and should always be lower case.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

This list is just about companies headquartered in Oregon. This has been discussed at length here before. A little web searching will turn up lots of info on REI's anti-hunting connections. It's not a secret.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
Hey fellows,

Thanks for your input!
Jeff

Fenix HL30 AA

Meets your requirements and also has easy to manage buttons with bulky gloves on.
Great battery life, probably because it works so well on Low.
You can ditch the over the top strap.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hi Jeff, I have been using Petzl headlamps for work and pleasure for more than 30 years w/out complaint. The REI site gives good info on many lights and will help you make an informed choice no matter where you choose to buy it.

I consider a headlamp to be an essential piece of gear and usually carry 2.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I started reading this thread with great interest until all the blabber about who's donating to whom.

The OP asked about headlamps.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1234, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,102
Posts18,464,178
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.