24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody twicking strait walled cases up to 1.8 inch to get more out of the new rules?

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My buddy is hot and heavy for a .450 Bushmaster now. I hope I have him talked into a 460 S&W HAHA.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any wild cat?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was going to go the wildcat route, but picked up a 357 Maximum in a T-C Encore Mike Blem chambered it. I'am getting just over 2600 FPS with CEB 140 gr. bullets, no problem getting 1 1/2" groups at 200 yards.

Just picked up a 450 Bushmaster, haven't had time do anything with it.

With the 1.8" and 35 caliber straight wall, just not much to improve on whats out there commercially.

I did have a 50 B&M Super Short built on a Winchester 70 WSSM action. What it is WSM brass cut to 1.65" using .500 caliber bullets , its proprietary cartridge of SSK Ind. Reason to get rid of it I had to change to shooting to the left side because of problems with my right eye. With CEB 300 gr. bullet I was getting just over 2300 FPS. I shot a couple bears and deer with it nothing went more than 30 yards, one buck was shot at 185 lazered yards. I picked up a Ruger Hawleye 300 RCM left hand that will be going to SSK Ind. to be made in to a 50 B&M Super Short. They will build a 50 B&M Super Short on any Winchester 70 CRF WSSM or WSM action, or Ruger 77 WSM or RCM action.

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/50-B-M-Super-Short.html#

http://sskindustries.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/480_331_csupload_54220996.jpg

Last edited by coyotewacker; 03/17/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm "twicking" a straight wall case down to 1.8" to comply with the new rules.
Ruger No. 1 .45-70, cases trimmed to 1.8" with bullets seated out to same OAL as 400 gr. factory.

[Linked Image]
400 gr Speer & 350 gr Speer in 1.8" cases, Remington 400 gr factory

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Love that ingenuity there tmitch; are you using typical charges also, or backed off on the throttle?

I'd wondered about something similar with a .450 Marlin but the ole gov't has more capacity. Very cool.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For my purposes, deer at 100 yds max, I don't have need to hot rod it so I use a mid range load of 3130. Seating the bullets out you have virtually the same powder capacity so I would think any book charges could be used. Using it in a single shot I don't worry about a crimp, but not sure how well they'd hold up in a tube magazine. Don't know why you couldn't do the same with the .450 Marlin also. I have an NEF Ultra so chambered but haven't tried it.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tmitch
Ruger No. 1 .45-70, cases trimmed to 1.8" with bullets seated out to same OAL as 400 gr. factory.
[Linked Image]

Great idea although I can see tmitch solution getting questioned by DNR.
The gun chamber can still shoot a caliber that is not following the rules even if the ammo is.
The warden may or may not be measuring the cases but the gun will tell a different story....and they may search you for "bad ammo".

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
coyotewacker, I just ordered the same barrel set up from Bellm for my daughter. I'd like to talk more when I get it and ready to put some loads together. I'm real glad I went this route as opposed to something bigger for her. Sounds like a great round.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gemelli5
[Linked Image]

The gun chamber can still shoot a caliber that is not following the rules even if the ammo is.
The warden may or may not be measuring the cases but the gun will tell a different story....and they may search you for "bad ammo".
FWIW, we've had a similar rule here in IN and I'd guess that it was used as a model for the rule in MI. Here the COs are only interested in measuring the case length. Many just use a business card with lines drawn on it to demarcate the min/max lengths. I for one wouldn't be worried if I were tmitch. IMO he's fully complying with the rule.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

[Linked Image]
400 gr Speer & 350 gr Speer in 1.8" cases, Remington 400 gr factory

I have tried and several others have tried to cut down cases in long chambers. Accuracy goes down hill. Just to long of a bullet jump.

Somebody will say Weatherby free-bore its not the same thing.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

I have tried and several others have tried to cut down cases in long chambers. Accuracy goes down hill. Just to long of a bullet jump.

That's why he's seating bullets to the standard 45-70 seating depth.

What pointer said about C.O's checking case length mirrors my experience. I was checked because I had a rifle and a busy body neighbor thought I was cheating using an illegal weapon. I was using my 358WSSM. The C.O. looked at my ammo and got a little excited when he read the headstamp and saw 25WSSM. It took him a minute or so to wrap his mind around the fact that the brass had been reformed to comply with the regulations of .357 or larger.

My only concern with a case such as the 45-70 would be consistant neck tension.

CR

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gemelli5

This may be true, you have to make certain you go afield with "clean hands" and avoid hunting practices that open you up to scrutiny by a CO. Below is an email correspondence I had with the DNR law enforcement division.

-----Original Message-----

Subject: RE: rifle use

Mr. Mitchell:

Thank you for contacting the DNR.

As long has your firearm/ammo meets the parameters you have highlighted below you would be legal. I would ensure that you do not have any ammo on your person while hunting that your firearm is capable of shooting and does not meet those requirements.

Thank you,
Sgt. Thomas R. Wanless
DNR -Law Enforcement Division
Recreational Safety, Education and Enforcement Section
525 W. Allegan, Lansing, MI 48933
517-284-6026

To: DNR-Wildlife; DNR-LawEnforcement
Subject: rifle use

Sirs,

I hunt in the Limited Firearms Deer Zone and have a question as to the legality of a single shot rifle I own and would like to use during the firearms deer season. It is chambered for the .45-70 Gov't cartridge which, in its factory loaded form, has a case length of 2.1". However I reload my own cartridges and have cut the cases back to 1.79" which can safely be used in my rifle and conform with the regulations as printed in the 2014 Hunting and Trapping digest.
"• A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches."
I want to make sure that this is acceptable and I will not run afoul of law enforcement if checked in the field as long as I am using, and only in possession of, the 1.79" case cartridges.

Thank you,
Tom Mitchell

Charter Member

szihn

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hangunnr
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

That's why he's seating bullets to the standard 45-70 seating depth.

My only concern with a case such as the 45-70 would be consistant neck tension.

CR

It doesn't matter that you seat bullets to the same OAL you still have the bullet free bore. If my computer didn't crash several months ago. I had pictures of recovered bullets from ballistic gel that have rifling groove in bullets that are deeper on one side than the other . This proves that the bullet before it hits the rifling was going crooked, and accuracy suffered.

Just think about shooting 38 Specials then 357 Mag. in the same gun will they both be just as accurate ......NO.....

Also it best to have one caliber of bullet in case neck.

Last edited by coyotewacker; 03/24/15.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Im glad that I hunt in a rifle zone and don't have to worry about this stuff.
I am intrigued with the mention of the 358 WSSM. I have a M70 in 358 and it's a great deer round. What is the parent case for the WSSM? I'd like to know more about this cartridge can someone please enlighten me?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking about taking the plunge an building a bolt action 45 Raptor. I see PTG is selling reamers and I see Starline is making brass (I can in a pinch).

I just have to decide to drop the coin!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Im glad that I hunt in a rifle zone and don't have to worry about this stuff.
I am intrigued with the mention of the 358 WSSM. I have a M70 in 358 and it's a great deer round. What is the parent case for the WSSM? I'd like to know more about this cartridge can someone please enlighten me?

It's already been mentioned on this thread, but since you apparently don't read, people typically neck up the 25 WSSM to 358.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Steel shot & lead, waterfowling...

If they resort to searching you, you may have pissed them off...:)

Defend the Constitution

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.