Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
And 20" tires are about $200-300 per set more than 17 or 18" tires I would run that would give me equivalent height/width. It's a $50k truck...

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by JMR40

Not sure exactly which size comes from the factroy, but I'm gonna guess 265/75/17. If you really want to go bigger you could go 285/75/17 and get a tire about 1" taller and wider.

My factory tires are 245/75/17. They look fairly small.

But, I hear what everybody is saying: No need to go bigger than a 17" wheel. I guess I'll just leave them alone. When the factory tires wear out, I'll consider a taller 17" tire but not go crazy.

Thanks all!

Wade, you may want to consider a 265/70/17 10 ply all terrain for your truck. Talk to your tire dealer and see what they recommend...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TXRam
I'm gonna disagree with the others - I love the 20" wheels/tires that came on my F350 CC 4x4 SRW. There's still plenty of tire and sidewall for flex, not like running 20's on a car or smaller truck. If mine had come with anything less, I would have moved up. My stock Michelins will make 50k easy, and handle great. Most folks can't believe their riding in a 1 ton 4wd pickup when they ride in it.

I do lower the pressure to ~60psi when not towing, and up it to 80psi when towing our 5th wheel. Had to get the dealer to reset the TPMS to alarm on the rear same as the front - set to like 60psi and they alarm when 10% low I think (was a pain to convince them, service mgr argued it couldn't be done so I finally complained the the general mgr who made him check anyway - voila, he learned he could do it!).

Both huge wheels and the BS TPMS are unnecessary on a big work truck... Flaunting a $50,000 truck around is also childish... Nuff said..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Consumer Reports link is mostly BS. Keep the 17" factory wheels. You can buy tires to fit 16", 17", 18", and 20" wheels and still end up with the same overall tire size within 1/2" in both height and width. The bigger the wheel, the more tires cost and the fewer options

Not sure exactly which size comes from the factroy, but I'm gonna guess 265/75/17. If you really want to go bigger you could go 285/75/17 and get a tire about 1" taller and wider. It would fit your factory wheels.

I might go up one size, but no more. You'd be looking at $100-$150 more for 4 tires in the next larger size. It would effectively change your gear ratio and give a little less power and your speedometer and odometer will be off unless you recalibrate.

If you want to run tire chains you may have clearance issues with larger tires too.

This!

As others have said, on a truck or 4x4, you really want tires with a decent abount of sidewall. For that reason and the lack of availability, I would avoid 20" rim all together..

If you are looking for new rims for appearance sake, I would still stay with 16" or 17"..

Although you sake you won't use it for off roading, I note over here many of the folks who do off road do with comparitively small rims and tires with very large side walls..I have to say on a truck or 4x4, I like that look very much...Usually the rim are steel and are not particularly "flash" but look functional/business like and IMHO are better suit than fancy alloy 20" rim off a brothel creeper...

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My factory tires are 245/75/17. They look fairly small.

They only look small because it is a big truck. Those tires are about 31.5" tall and 10" wide

A set of 265/70/17's will be about the same height, but 1" wider.

A set of 285/70/17's will be roughly 33" tall and 11" wide. That is as big as I'd go.

That is a very popular upgrade size and usually works very well. Mine are only 9.5" wide though.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm gonna disagree with the others - I love the 20" wheels/tires that came on my F350 CC 4x4 SRW. There's still plenty of tire and sidewall for flex, not like running 20's on a car or smaller truck. If mine had come with anything less, I would have moved up. My stock Michelins will make 50k easy, and handle great. Most folks can't believe their riding in a 1 ton 4wd pickup when they ride in it.

I do lower the pressure to ~60psi when not towing, and up it to 80psi when towing our 5th wheel. Had to get the dealer to reset the TPMS to alarm on the rear same as the front - set to like 60psi and they alarm when 10% low I think (was a pain to convince them, service mgr argued it couldn't be done so I finally complained the the general mgr who made him check anyway - voila, he learned he could do it!).

Both huge wheels and the BS TPMS are unnecessary on a big work truck... Flaunting a $50,000 truck around is also childish... Nuff said..

I think they call them cappuccino cowboys wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TPMS is not BS in any way. What's wrong with a system that let's you know your tire is low before you can detect it visually or by feel?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by K1500
TPMS is not BS in any way. What's wrong with a system that let's you know your tire is low before you can detect it visually or by feel?

I only wish that all systems (some do) actually read out the pressure. The TPMS on my truck only goes off if the pressure is low, but I have no way to know what the actual pressure is.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess low is better than nothing. Mine reads out in PSI and throws an idiot light if too low. I have caught three different punctures on three different vehicles with TPMS. It also makes it easy to cheek the pressure, assuming it is accurate (mine have been). Wife's car only does low or not and I don't like that as much.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Childish? That I point out the cost of the truck vs the difference in cost for tires? If you gotta worry about $300 extra on a set of tires, shouldn't be driving a $50k truck was my point.

And never said they were necessary (other than the fact you cannot buy a 1 ton or less truck without TPMS), just that 20" wheels on a truck this big are not bad, work fine, etc., and are my preference - to each their own.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I don't know chit about towing tires.

Just wanted to say hi to Wade.

Hi Wade!

grin

Something clever here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.