-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of my 1911's are reliable. Only 1911 failure I ever had was a broken extractor on my old IPSC pistol. Most 1911 issues are usually a bad magazine or ammo related, as in reloads.

That being said, it's damn hard to beat a Glock for reliability.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by leomort
Some background info regarding my question was due to dinner discussion with a friend who stated that his $500 Glock is more reliable than 1911's.

The only weakness is incredibly stupid statements such as that.

It could be someone's life work to describe the variations in quality and design across a myriad of manufacturers to describe the '1911'. Folks ignorantly cram the good and the bad, the compact and the full size, the cheap and the expensive, and all manufacturers into one pattern that to them is somehow a "1911". It's as if we could take every polymer pistol ever made anywhere and call it a "17".

Then I could ask without any remote reference to Glock, "What's more reliable, a Colt XSE or a 17?"

Yup, the biggest "weakness" of the 1911 is it's been built by countless manufacturers around the world to varying degrees of quality and not always following the original 100+ y/o design.

Most of my 1911 experience has been with my grandfathers 1911, his sidearm during the great war. I don't recall how many rounds we put through it, but between some WWII surplus ball ammo and factory reloads it was 100% reliable. Not bad for a gun and magazines that at that time were ~70 years old, firing 40+ y/o ammo. The gun is now 98 years old and per my brother still functions flawlessly.

Glocks haven't been around enough for a proven track record wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow. For me the 1911 points better. To hit easy with familiarity is better than to shoot up the landscape with wish and prayer. 1911's need to be kind of oily but then mostly they work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
What is a kaboom with no damage?

Case web blows...magazine sometimes comes out but no other detectable damage.

Gun goes right back into service...

What causes the kabooms that only cause damage to the brass?

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 03/16/15. Reason: Added quote

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Luck and the direction gas vents from the ruptured case.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But what causes the case to rupture?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
A regular basis?

yup...regular basis.... Go look at the Glock forums...

I have been present for 5 Kabooms including one of my own. Two 19/9mms with no damage (one with reloads and one factory), one 34/9mm with no damage, one 23/.40 that cracked the frame with FACTORY ammo and 20/.45 that blew the frame.

Two of my friends with 23s have had KaBooms both cracked the frames ...

Other than a few my over zealous Super rounds have never had one in a 1911...

...is that regular enough....

Bob
You are the most unlucky glock man I have ever seen then. Funny I'm a 1911 man before all others but I KNOW that glocks will work when I need them to and dont go kaboom any more than anything else. What you are saying is internet madness at its best

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by RJM

As to general feeding reliability haven't had any major problems with any of my guns. There are some bullet designs that cause feeding problems in some guns but once you find a load that a 1911 likes it is no more or less reliable than a Glock...

Bob
There's the problem with 1911's right there.
It's those little problems that drive you crazy and you have to spend too much time and money to find out what the gun likes.

I have double digit numbers of 1911's (& 5 Glocks too wink ) & with the exception of the latest addition, (an off-the-shelf, untuned, untouched Ruger which has not been shot enough to demonstrate it's nature) every single last one of them shoots whatever is put into the magazines, any day, every day, all day, assuming it's a load that is strong enough to function the particular setup on that gun.

No ifs, no ands, no buts.

I'm not interested in whether the gun(s) will run 5,000 rounds between cleanings........If any of them are used in a gunfight, the round count might reach double digits, maybe. If it does, I'm going to be wishing for some kind of a long gun.

So if a 1911, (or any other carry gun) can make 100 straight rounds without a hiccup, each & every time its used, it's more than adequate for SD & carrying.

There's a difference between reliability & torture test durability between cleanings.

My 1911's that expect to get carried & potentially get used in any serious social intercourse function are kept clean.......& the ones that aren't 1911's are also kept clean.

But clean is a also a relative word.............all but super, super tight match fitted 1911's will still run with some level of contamination or dirt; granted a Glock will likely tolerate more in an absolute sense. If that spins your prop, don't talk about 1911's; just go get a Glock & live happily ever after, as you likely would not be happy with a 1911 anyway.

So, a PROPERLY built & tuned 1911 doesn't really have any "weaknesses" in that sense but lots of folks with limited experience like to discuss those "weaknesses" anyway.

My guns & their capabilities may not be representative of everyman's 1911's but they demonstrate what a 1911 is capable of being & that's all I really care about. What happens to JackSchitt with his Trimber crappily built, untuned 1911 in bumfuckedEgypt doesn't concern me or alter my thinking one IOTA.

As for the magazine capacity, a 1911 will always have more that a revolver. smile

MM
well said and agreed

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Case ruptures are caused by Glocks not having safeties...duhh!!!

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Glock was designed ca 1985. The GI pistol in 1910.

A lot of improvements in auto pistols happened during that time. In ordinary comparably priced out of the box pistols, the glock will win reliability, longevity, accuracy every time. It's simply better.

Both pistols can be modified to great improvement, but most people don't do this. whistle

Last edited by mrmarklin; 03/16/15.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A properly tuned Glock is plenty reliable.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

Another myth. The Glock 17 went into service in 1982, but its design elements are from a variety of older sources. Gaston himself brags about that. What made the Glock unique for a couple decades was the manufacturing process, not the design.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

It's hard to get your point across effectively - pistol whipping someone with a Glock!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My one and only kaboom was a 1911, aluminum frame Para Ordnance commander, 45acp.
Was my fault, did a double charge of tightgroup with a 200gr lswc. The case head let go, broke my stag grips!, drove the bullets in the magazine into the case, luckily had leather gloves and shooting glass's on.

Extracted the blown case when I got home, no other damage to the gun!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So that kaboom was ammo related.

What's causing the other kabooms that damage only the brass?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Iirc it is most likely to happen in 40 S&W guns. Mostly with reloaded ammo.
Google search it and see for yourself.
If you look in Shotgun News the used 40 cal Glocks are going cheap.
I recall that it is partly due to case thickness
and partly due to the amount of unsupported case in the Glock pistol.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leomort
FreeMe,

What does "fps" stand for/mean?

Firing pin stop. It also holds your extractor in place, and if fitted right, keeps it from rotating ("clocking").

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

A lot of improvements in auto pistols happened during that time. In ordinary comparably priced out of the box pistols, the glock will win reliability, longevity, accuracy every time. It's simply better.

Both pistols can be modified to great improvement, but most people don't do this. whistle

Well, let's see....

Longevity - The Glock hasn't been around long enough to make that claim.

Reliability - Admittedly true for some, but not for others and not every time.

Accuracy - that one made me laugh.

There was nothing new about the Glock design, except that it is mostly plastic. What are these improvements you speak of, and how do they relate to the Glock?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've shot both quite a bit, in a lot of different conditions. I currently own four 1911s, no glocks. Glocks may be a bit more reliable out of the box, on average. However, all of my 1911s run flawlessly, are more accurate than the glocks I've shot, mostly due to the trigger. I've even shot my 1911s with 3-400 rounds or more between cleanings, with no issue. I used to have an auto-ordnance that I tried to make quit by not cleaning. I gave up after 1500 rounds of cast bullet loads. (H&G 68 SWC and 5.0 gr. W231 IIRC) I'm pretty sure JMB had my hand in mind when designing the 1911s grip, too. Hard to find a more naturally pointing gun for me. Glocks, not so much. The grip angle is too steep for me. Put me in the 1911 group.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Why do so many people complain about the Glock grip angle but nobody complains about the Luger or Ruger Marks?

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

575 members (007FJ, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.