4.) Nosler 48 Patriot
5.) Winchester 70 EW

Who is number one, and why?

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or you could go to cdnnsports.com and get two Ruger All-Weather Hawkeye rifles for $499 each, have two rifles and still save money...

Got an All-weather in .280 Rem last fall. Like my other Ruger M77/MKII/Hawkeye rifles. It is a good shooter and I really like it. Of course, I'm biased toward saving money...

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/17/15. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But then you'd still be supporting the old anti gun Bill Ruger's company.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Steyr prohunter packaged with Zeiss 3-9 in Talley rings...1199.
Beats the chit out of everything listed.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rost495

Damn pard, Bill Ruger died 12 years ago. Long time to hold a grudge against the company considering they likely could care less about his affiliations or perspectives and they are a gun manufacturer so likely are sorta pro-gun as a whole.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Having only shot one from the list, and held maybe 3, take it for what it's worth. When I picked up my 84m I was a bit reluctant and wondering if this was a good way to spend $900. In the years since, I have come to really appreciate what that rifle offers. First of all, it's a hunting rifle for those staying in the typical shot ranges of <500 yds. In the steep mountains at high elevations it is extraordinary how much nicer it is to carry a sub-6lb rifle. I've run marathons and regularly lift. It's not a fitness thing, but rather a comfort thing. With a carbon-Kevlar stock and stainless construction it has proven to handle the elements exceptionally well. Mine has been soaked, frozen banged off rocks. No problems whatsoever. While I've never had an issue with push feed, the controlled round feed is a nice to have. The three position safety is very nice. Lastly, it fits like a glove, points like a Magic wand and it is very accurate and that is what really matters once you finally find that elk. There may be other great rifles, but after a few years with my 84m I know it is included in the list of great rifles.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
For $1200 I definitely buy TWO rifle. Either two of the same or one of each...

Weatherby Vanguard S2's or Tikka T3's!!! Both of these rifles have solid reviews, not just from the gun writers but from regular hunters and shooters!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having handled all of them, I would go with the MRC X2 or the Patriot, unless you really need a light rifle. In that case, the Kimber would be my choice out of those listed.

FWIW, I bought a Winchester EW and a Weatherby Back Country about a week apart, and it didn't take long to send the EW down the road. Everyone I know that has one is either upgrading to a better stock or planning to do so.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would have said the same thing about one vs. two. Now I've changed my tune. Having one nearly perfect rifle for the task trumps having two rifles that I like. If I liked them equally obviously I'd go for two.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
+1

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If $1,200 means I could monkey together a Rem 700 in an Edge, that's were my money would be.

Emphasis on "my".......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 16bore
If $1,200 means I could monkey together a Rem 700 in an Edge, that's were my money would be.

Emphasis on "my".......

Agree

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Emphasis on "my".......

Quit making sense.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any reason Forbes is not on the list? I've not owned one, but have handled a couple have owned an ULA and loved it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ringworm

Not that there is nothing wrong with a Steyr Prohunter but I think you are stretching it a bit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There should be a Forbes 20b or 24b on your list. If you shop around you can find one near your price range.

Very accurate with many different loads and bullet types
easy to carry
durable
and a great bargain compared to a NULA

The forbes can easily compete with any of those on your list. It will beat several for sure in accuracy and weight.

With my biased opinion, having shot only number 3 and 5 on your list - the Remington and the Winchester- I chose Forbes.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Emphasis on "my".......

This

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by slm9s
Any reason Forbes is not on the list? I've not owned one, but have handled a couple have owned an ULA and loved it.

Yes I overlooked the Forbes, let's put that on the list also

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Not that there is nothing wrong with a Steyr Prohunter but I think you are stretching it a bit.

In what category exactly?
Weight? Maybe.
But glass any of those with the Zeiss/telley and tell me which comes in under 1200 and .5" groups.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rost495

You still got a beef with S&W working with the Clinton administration too? Give it a rest.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
My vote would be for another rifle not listed, I'd go with a Remington Mod 700 XCR II and the left over money would go toward a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 scope, for just a little more than your rifle budget you could have a first class rifle and scope, I have Had at least a 1/2 dozen of these rifles and every one has been MOA accurate right out of the box, they are surprisingly light and feel/handle great.............Good luck...................Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spot on assessment Hillbilly.......he he he.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 17_wizzer
There should be a Forbes 20b or 24b on your list. If you shop around you can find one near your price range.

Very accurate with many different loads and bullet types
easy to carry
durable
and a great bargain compared to a NULA

The forbes can easily compete with any of those on your list. It will beat several for sure in accuracy and weight.

With my biased opinion, having shot only number 3 and 5 on your list - the Remington and the Winchester- I chose Forbes.

I agree. They had some growing pains like ALL companies do, both of mine were just recently made and the fit and finish is outstanding.

I have owned two Nosler Patriots. Both were extremely accurate, with excellent fit and finish. The Nosler's stock is a B&C which for me, was a little too chunky. Also, they are push feed which seems to matter a lot to some people. Several of my family members have the Winchester M70 EW and they too have been excellent rifles. Accurate and reliable. Again, not a fan of the B&C stock, but throw a McMillan Edge on them and they are outstanding.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Out of the box, Kimber. If you can like and shoot a truly featherweight rifle. Under 6 lbs in a short action, under 7 in a long action. If you want a lightweight rifle that can come in between 7-7.5 lbs for $1200 buy a used Remingon or Winchester and buy an Edge for it. I prefer Winchester.

No one makes a lightweight stock for the Ruger. If you want a heavier 8+ lb synthetic I have no complaints with them.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
that list makes me laugh... espicaly since m $600 Tikka will outshoot every one of them....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That and a Sako A-7.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the Tikka and enough money left over to buy a good scope too.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
+4 ( i think that's where we are at) for the Tikka T-3 ..... My limited experience with mine has changed the way I view a hunting gun. It is vigorous to shoot(.300 Win mag) but accurate thus far and fits good and is slick and feeds smooth and is light and did I mention it is Accurate. You get the point. Only thing to do to it is clean it once in a while and shoot it......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy

I'm a wimp and not interested in a heavy rifle so make mine a Kimbergrin . Recently put a new scope on an 84M in 7mm-08 and shot 430y, 490y, and 670y with good results using the 162gr AMAX.

Still need more testing, but so far its very forgiving to shoot at distance considering the light weight.

[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I assume that all the 'fire folks that need a lightweight rifle have a real need for one given their hunting methods?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If I was after a short action I'd try a Kimber, if I wanted a long action, or magnum I'd try the Montana rifle.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by EdM
I assume that all the 'fire folks that need a lightweight rifle have a real need for one given their hunting methods?

How many "Need" a heavy rifle? Just a preference. But it sure is nice when climbing at over 10k ft.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Not a popular choice for sure, and it has to be the fugliest rifle on the face of the earth . . . bar none. sick

There's a reason they're selling (or not selling) so cheap.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Based on the rifles on his list, I am thinking he wants a good stock too wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have in my safe both the MRC XWR .308 and Kimber Montana .223. Unfortunately neither one is mine! I bought the XWR for my son-in-law and the Kimber Montana .223 for my wife.

Fortunately, I have shot both.

I haven't put the Kimber on paper but have shot it at some short range (200 yards) steel. I gotta say that the Kimber Montana in .223 is probably about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I am impressed with the overall package enough that if it ends up not shooting well, I'll just keep it and have it rebarreled.

I am extremely impressed with the XWR. I have spent a bunch more money on rifles that would not shoot nearly as well. Here is the thread I posted about the XWR. Note that the group shown is a 10 shot group. I'd venture to say that not many factory hunting weight rifles will do this…

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ntana_Rifle_Company_XWR_Rang#Post9645294

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I have in my safe both the MRC XWR .308 and Kimber Montana .223. Unfortunately neither one is mine! I bought the XWR for my son-in-law and the Kimber Montana .223 for my wife.

Fortunately, I have shot both.

I haven't put the Kimber on paper but have shot it at some short range (200 yards) steel. I gotta say that the Kimber Montana in .223 is probably about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I am impressed with the overall package enough that if it ends up not shooting well, I'll just keep it and have it rebarreled.

I am extremely impressed with the XWR. I have spent a bunch more money on rifles that would not shoot nearly as well. Here is the thread I posted about the XWR. Note that the group shown is a 10 shot group. I'd venture to say that not many factory hunting weight rifles will do this…

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ntana_Rifle_Company_XWR_Rang#Post9645294

John

Damn good shooting John. I have a 9.3x62mm that will shoot like that on any given day. Are you thinking about keeping that MRC and giving your son in law a different rifle now?? grin. I'd hang on to that sombeesh!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here are the contenders in no particular order:

1.) Kimber Montana
2.) Montana Rifle Company X2
3.) Rem 700 Mountain Rifle SS
4.) Nosler 48 Patriot
5.) Winchester 70 EW

2. Because it's made in America and it has all the features I look for in a well made rifle...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Not a popular choice for sure, and it has to be the fugliest rifle on the face of the earth . . . bar none. sick

There's a reason they're selling (or not selling) so cheap.

Pretty just spreads her knees, ugly has to know how to fk.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
#2.

I think it's interesting that this is one of the "hotter" rifles on here and basically copys a pre 64 M70 with modern up grades.

Been hunting with similar stuff for decades. It's "familiar".

In 7/08 I'd take the Kimber simply because of the weight.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sako 85 finnlight.

It's not on the list but should be.

Dink

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by DINK
Sako 85 finnlight.

Dink

It's not on the list because it's a $1600 (+/-) rifle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sako
that list makes me laugh... espicaly since m $600 Tikka will outshoot every one of them....

Oh oh, spoiler alert! But sometimes the truth cuts deep.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Based on the rifles on his list, I am thinking he wants a good stock too wink

This

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So lets say they all shoot the same, including the Tikka. Drop the Tikka in a McMillan and now the cost is $1,200

You still buying it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For $1200 it's mathmatically possible to take a Remington 700, send it to ITD to be barreled (throated and twisted appropriately) and add a MR edge. Sell the take off barrel and stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 700 with a #2 contour barrel sitting in a MR edge just feels perfect to me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The patriot is a sweet setup.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The patriot is a sweet setup.

wink

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by woodson
For $1200 it's mathmatically possible to take a Remington 700, send it to ITD to be barreled (throated and twisted appropriately) and add a MR edge. Sell the take off barrel and stock.

This is always the problem I have with rifles in this price range.
My most recent build included a nice older Rem action which I traded into, including a Timney trigger. Value $500. I bought a Rock Creek #2 barrel here for $325, and stumbled upon a Hunters Edge in an auction for $265 (yes, that price is correct). I added a Bat ADL trigger guard ($50), and had my smith chamber the barrel with MY reamer in 6XC ($100). Total cost to me is $1240. I did have the bolt fluted and a knob installed as well, but those are irrelevant for this cost comparison. So, I have a properly-twisted rifle, cut with my reamer, with a premium barrel, quality trigger and Edge stock for the same price as these factory guns.

I could easily do this again with an even cheaper SPS action and more expensive stock - it all comes down to patience, and ability to jump on the deal when it presents itself.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
So lets say they all shoot the same, including the Tikka. Drop the Tikka in a McMillan and now the cost is $1,200

You still buying it?

No, I want to go purchase a COMPLETE rifle from the list provided, and go shoot/hunt with it. Period. I am not interested in buying a Tikka (although accurate, I find it to be one of the ugliest actions out there) and then have to order an aftermarket stock, then send it to so and so to get it re-barreled, then go buy a snazzy-dazzy trigger, and after all that, assemble the whole darn thing!

If I wanted to do that, I would have posted in the Custom Rifles And Wildcats section....
"I have $1200 to spend, help me build a rifle"

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Where are you guys seeing Nosler Patriots for 1300 new?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
Where are you guys seeing Nosler Patriots for 1300 new?

$1299 on gunbroker today

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the same frame of mind as you right now Soapy. Im looking hard at the MRC X2. I want see some of the rifles the guys who participated in group buy from SAS look like and their reviews. You can have mrc make some minor mods for pretty cheap like barrel length. I like the idea of them doing it. Looks like a pretty good package to me.
I think the Kimber would be my second choice based on reviews here and the many guys who say the stock really fits them well. The bullet dont come out of the stock but the stock is what you have in your hand. So very important to me.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
NEWS FLASH!
DECISION MADE!

Just pushed the "buy now" button on Gunbroker.
Montana Rifle Company X2, .30-06
$1179 With free shipping!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bingo....

Spare no details when you get it.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Will do! I estimate that I should have it by the end of next week.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, for that much you could have purchased at least three Ruger American rifles....

Sorry, just following the old Campfire tradition of not answering the original post, while implying the original poster is (a) ignorant and/or (b) FOS.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
or (c) gay.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
or (c) gay.

No, it's a 30-06, not 270

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I look forward to your review.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by DINK
Sako 85 finnlight.

Dink

It's not on the list because it's a $1600 (+/-) rifle.

I have bought several NIB Sako 85 finnlights between $900-$1100. Just have to look for them.

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Allow me to redefine "fugliest" for you. laugh

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have less than that in my 6BR Tucky. Bought it NIB less barrel,threw a #3 Brux 1-8" on it,that was pared down to Montucky contour dupe and crowned at 20". No-turn neck/throated to my whim.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

22",21" and 20" Tuckys.

[Linked Image]

Of the turn-key over the counter rifles cited,the Montucky blows everything else outta the fhuqking water. Their S/S construction,killer trigger,svelte receiver,excellent handle and balance/ergo's simply STEAL the fhuqking Show.

Should it cheer folks up,I may have seen a custom 700.

Once.(grin)

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
So Boxer, have you shot the other rifles on the list?
That's a pretty authoritative statement to make about the Kimbers.
I know the KM is a good rifle, but there is a multi page thread here about all the tinkering that needs to be done to a lot of them to get them to shoot accurately.

You brag about re-barelling, re-chambering, re-crowning, cutting barrels and then proceed to tell us that they are the best turn key rifles out there. Thinking you just might be a fanboy.

I went with the X2 because of all the positive reviews.
No tinkering required.
To each his own.

So please answer the question, have you shot the listed rifle choices, or is it just your "imagination and pretend" giving that answer?

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Oh yes, almost forgot.....

Laffin!

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

You brag about re-barelling, re-chambering, re-crowning, cutting barrels and then proceed to tell us that they are the best turn key rifles out there.

That is a lot of work to shoot fish!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

[Linked Image]

Allow me to redefine "fugliest" for you. laugh

Ok, you win . . . but not by much wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Boxer, I don't see why you need that kind of firepower for those little old fish.... laugh

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I went with the X2 because of all the positive reviews.

I haven't owned an X2, but have owned all of the others. Of the others, the Montana has been my favorite.

I like them all, but I am not as fond of the stock on the EW, Nosler, and 700 MR.

The Nosler is also a lot heavier than a Montana, and it appears to me that the X2 is the same. As long as weight isn't a big factor in your selection, the X2 or Nosler would be a good choice.

I plan to try an X2 in the future, in hopes that the stock is better than the others provide. They look like a really nice rifle, but not a lightweight.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$1,200 will getcha a 270 WSM Montucky with a 3.5 x40 CDS.....

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
You got something against Plastikka!?....where would we be without it? No water bottles, no trash bags, no Tikka T3's.............Lol!................but by Gawd they shoot good!.............Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok, you win . . . but not by much wink

When it comes to viewing these pics, we all lose. sick

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tikka and Ruger American out of the box probably would outshoot most on the list. Call them ugly. Since they shoot like that they will be the first one I reach for while the pretty ones sit in the safe and get sold to someone caught up on looks. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
You got something against Plastikka!?....where would we be without it? No water bottles, no trash bags, no Tikka T3's.............Lol!................but by Gawd they shoot good!.............Hb

I'm a fan...
[Linked Image]

But a bigger fan of your old gal, which is why you need a Montana..

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
So,did this with a MRC M 1999 American .338 RUM and 250 gr Nosler Partition.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Even killed an cow elk with it,but used a 210 gr NP.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by KenMi
Tikka and Ruger American out of the box probably would outshoot most on the list. Call them ugly. Since they shoot like that they will be the first one I reach for while the pretty ones sit in the safe and get sold to someone caught up on looks. smile

Broad brush generalization. Rifles vary one to the next.

But I won't argue that the T3 and RAR are not accurate.

For myself, I would rather have 3 very nice rifles than 6-9 low cost rifles. YMMV

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

[Linked Image]

Look great!

But no doubt a Tikka or RAR would tighten that group right up grin

And good luck finding one in 338RUM wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KH1473

Emphasis on "my".......

This

Yes......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
No....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
TikkaT3 270 w/swaro 4x12 brh reticle for me. Lights out in most depts.! Coat of the right paint solves ugly and all else is sweet.

Mac Life NRA

Last edited by Mac284338; 03/18/15.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I Would go with a tikka and spend the rest on optics and ammo, done.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
NEWS FLASH!
DECISION MADE!

Just pushed the "buy now" button on Gunbroker.
Montana Rifle Company X2, .30-06
$1179 With free shipping!

That was the right choice IMO. Congrats and let us know how it runs for you.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Great! Let us know how she shoots...........Good luck..........Hb

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Thanks guys

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

[Linked Image]

Look great!

But no doubt a Tikka or RAR would tighten that group right up grin

And good luck finding one in 338RUM wink
Oh well,I'll just suffer with the MRC .338 RUM. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mac284338
TikkaT3 270 w/swaro 4x12 brh reticle for me. Lights out in most depts.! Coat of the right paint solves ugly and all else is sweet.

Mac Life NRA

I have a few. They DO shoot. And I don't worry about a scratch or two...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

But I still love my custom Remmys and my 308 Montucky is a joy to hike the mountains with. If I had to choose, it would be a Remmy custom or the Montucky. wink

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Here are the contenders in no particular order:

1.) Kimber Montana
2.) Montana Rifle Company X2
3.) Rem 700 Mountain Rifle SS
4.) Nosler 48 Patriot
5.) Winchester 70 EW

I'd add Browning X-bolt SS Stalker to the list and in my experience I'd vote it #1. Right around $1k on GB. Have one in 7mm wsm and it's a better and more accurate rifle than the EW 300 WSM I let go. I have two SS Rem 700s and out of the box, neither was in the league of the X-Bolt. May not be the 'fire fav since the trigger may lock up and fail to shoot in salt water, but fortunately I live in Missouri, so that isn't a concern for me....I haven't owned a Kimber (handles nice), or a Nosler or a XW2. The XW2 with the new stock sounds intriguing. Just my experience.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 48 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,186
Posts18,465,749
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.