Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mike_S Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Just saw one of these for sale pretty reasonable. What caught my eye was the resemblance to Marlin 39 and the receiver was color case hardened, looks like a real rifle not plated zinc. Anyone have any experience with Chiappa? Their .22 pistols are spoken highly.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2675/images

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That is a good looking .22. No experience though.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've been trying to find out more about them, too. Good looking little rascals.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Think in terms of global competition and reputation. Foreign dollars trump US dollars in "value", and how do they rate on the internet searches such as Google?

LOL
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't think anyone knows yet, I've got inquiries going on, over on rimfirecentral, but no one's answered yet, and I didn't see one at the NRA Meeting last month in Indy. I've yet to find anyone who's actually GOT one, to see what they think of it.

Color-casehardened receiver, walnut stock, but a kind of wonky front sight has me troubled. They have their own color-casehardening entity, it's not farmed out.
Their other guns look pretty good, and get good reviews elsewhere, especially the 1887 Winchester and '92 Winchester copies.
I've been nosing around since seeing it in their catalog, it's got me intrigued, especially with Marlin on the ropes quality-wise now.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I don't think anyone knows yet, I've got inquiries going on, over on rimfirecentral, but no one's answered yet, and I didn't see one at the NRA Meeting last month in Indy. I've yet to find anyone who's actually GOT one, to see what they think of it.

Color-casehardened receiver, walnut stock, but a kind of wonky front sight has me troubled. They have their own color-casehardening entity, it's not farmed out.
Their other guns look pretty good, and get good reviews elsewhere, especially the 1887 Winchester and '92 Winchester copies.
I've been nosing around since seeing it in their catalog, it's got me intrigued, especially with Marlin on the ropes quality-wise now.

Glen read that stock description closely. it reads walnut finished hardwood stock. i found one listing where it actualy list it as birch. i was going to maybe order one from the gunshop i use but after looking into it some more i want to wait until someone else gets one and shoots it for a while. i found some not too friendly reviews on some of their other firearms in my search efforts back this spring.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one of their 1873-22 Puma 22LR sixguns and it's rock solid. What "wonky" front sight are you referring to? It's a simple hooded front sight just like on any other 22 rifle. The rest of it looks like they kipped the plans for the Marlin 39A after the patent expired and made their own.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scorpion8
I have one of their 1873-22 Puma 22LR sixguns and it's rock solid. What "wonky" front sight are you referring to? It's a simple hooded front sight just like on any other 22 rifle. The rest of it looks like they kipped the plans for the Marlin 39A after the patent expired and made their own.

The Marlin patents expired over 100 years ago - also it doesn't look all that much like a Marlin on the inside -
[Linked Image]

Check out the length of the loading port - this gun may actually handle longer cartridges than the Long Rifle.

Gene
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GeneB
...this gun may actually handle longer cartridges than the Long Rifle.

That would be nice if there was a .22WMR or .17HMR model.

Last edited by Scorpion8; 06/27/14.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Scorpion8

If you look closely at the front sight, there are mold lines on it. I think it's plastic, which I am morally opposed to, on a leveraction rifle.
I have their catalog, and it's more prevalent there in the photo.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 07/04/14.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have held one at Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, MT. I will take a pass at even half the price.

In my brief encounter, these are my impressions:
The case coloring looked to be painted on, and poorly done. The fit an finish left a LOT to be desired. The action was stiff and halting. It seemed to me a poorly executed Marlin copy, with very little mechanical or internal similarities at all.

It could shoot and feed great, but I will not be the one reporting on it.

Best of luck to the lucky guy that tries one out!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I looked at one at Whittaker's on Wednesday. Apparently, they've made some improvements to them since this thread was visited last.

The one I looked at on Wednesday was slicker than any of the many, many Henrys on other racks, and it was MUCH smoother than the Browning BL-22 I also fondled. While some folks didn't like the color-casehardened receiver, I didn't think it looked too bad up close. Again, it was a lot nicer than the Henry's painted receivers.
Wood, Henry and Browning beat the Chiappa hands down, the beechwood on the rifle wasn't done well at all, poorly finished, but easily re-done if so desired. The sights were quite possibly worse than a Daisy BB gun, awfully coarse and crude, but the rest of the metalwork seemed pretty good.

I kinda liked it, but opted to buy a Smith M&P 22C, which is pretty nice for a plastic pistol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Wood, Henry and Browning beat the Chiappa hands down, the beechwood on the rifle wasn't done well at all, poorly finished, but easily re-done if so desired.

Glen i wonder if the Marlin 39A stocks would swap out on those rifles since it sure seems to be a bit of a copy of one? any thoughts on that possibility?

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dunno, Jim, I've never had a 39M in hand , but especially next to a Chiappa to compare them. It probably wouldn't be too big of a deal to whittle out a stock out of walnut, if you're handy with wood.

From what I can gather, the insides of the LA-322 are more modular than anything else, nothing much like a Marlin inside. I'm tempted to buy one, just to find out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.