Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What can you tell me about quality and accuracy of this brand of rifle?? I am considering buying a rifle by this name, "Montana Rifle American Standard". What say you?

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'm curious myself. This company has really caught my attention and has had a lot of mention here at the Fire lately.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where does one buy one?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hopefully Walmart.
Does McMillan make a stock?
I sure hope it needs crowning out of the box..

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
What can you tell me about quality and accuracy of this brand of rifle?? I am considering buying a rifle by this name, "Montana Rifle American Standard". What say you?

Not finding a company by the name of "Montana Rifle American Standard" but am seeing a rifle model named American Standard produced by Montana Rifle Company. is that the one you're referring to?

I have one MRC rifle in my safe and am extremely impressed with it. I would not hesitate to buy anything made by MRC based on what I've seen with the XWR.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have one in a .338 RUM and would get another if the wife will let me. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been researching them a bit myself. Hoping to convince the wife that ordering a stainless/synthetic pair in 7STW and 358STA would be an appropriate birthday present for myself this year.

Brandon Gleason
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by FFemtRN5287
pair in 7STW and 358STA would be an appropriate birthday present for myself this year.

That is quite a pair of powder burners.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by avagadro
Where does one buy one?

http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=149

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...C/Whittaker_Guns/24hr_Group_#Post9659843

Do a search - lots of info lately. Jeffbird had a full review recently that was great.

Essentially a nice action built in the Ruger factory to MRC's spec, generous mag box for their "intermediate/short" action (you can run 7x57 in it versus a long action like most makers), and a "real" Winchester style trigger (like a P64 or Classic).

They are making their own handles now and frankly they should fit into an McM that fits a Win Classic (or be close enough for you to fit it at home).

Great rifles.

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't really like the stocks they put on them. Just plain grade Boyd's stocks with an outdated shape like the Prairie Hunter. Fine for a milsurp Mauser, but not for a $1200 gun

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Not finding a company by the name of "Montana Rifle American Standard" but am seeing a rifle model named American Standard produced by Montana Rifle Company. is that the one you're referring to?

I have one MRC rifle in my safe and am extremely impressed with it. I would not hesitate to buy anything made by MRC based on what I've seen with the XWR.

John

Yes, that is the one I am referring to. They want over a grand for the wood stocked rifle. I am just wondering what makes it worth what a Winchester super grade costs?? Is there something special about the action and barrels they are using??

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm not an authority in the MRCs, but they advertise the actions as combining the best features of the M70 and the Mauser 98. The barrel on mine is very smooth and the trigger light and crisp. With no load development, my MRC XWR put 10 shots into MOA or a little less. Other recent reviews I have read showed similar results. For the same $, I would take a MRC over a Winchester all day, every day.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FFemtRN5287
I've been researching them a bit myself. Hoping to convince the wife that ordering a stainless/synthetic pair in 7STW and 358STA would be an appropriate birthday present for myself this year.

I like the way you think. And would you like to adopt a son, I am available. My birthday is coming soon!

Your Loving Son
8mmwapiti

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
So if choosing between the Winchester Extreme weather (stainless fluted, composite stock) vs the Montana Rifle company "American standard" , (wood stock, matte blued action,barrel) in a magnum caliber, which would you choose? My primary concern is accuracy. Don't much care if it's stainless or chromoly.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Would the MRC X2 be an option? If so, that's the way I would go.

John

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I am trying to stay in the 1200$ range and I think those go for quite a bit more??

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No, they go for about $1200 maybe a little less. I'm getting one of the Whittaker Guns exclusives in 260 and I think we're paying $1300 for those.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am trying to stay in the 1200$ range and I think those go for quite a bit more??

PM Shortactionsmoker. He will give you as good a deal as can be found. I know my XWR was lower than your price limit...

John

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thank you. I will.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,966 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.