Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
snake, sorry to hear about your troubles, for me I've been very happy with my kuiu gear and only used there CS 1x, with no problems at all.

BP-B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I know there's a joke somewhere in there about a dude wearing Kuiu 'oughtta be using a Vortex..... but.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by broomd
I have a few Kuiu products that I own and like, the XXL Vais Guide jacket I have is the first generation *non-dcs* that actually fits a big man with actual shoulders.
I tried the later Chinese version and it is sewn for Taiwanese hunters I would guess.
The gear I own I have purchased USED but as new.
I WOULD NOT, AND WILL NOT patronize KUIU by buying new.

The company censors people who might criticize problem gear.
Gestapo-like business practices that I will not reward with one cent.

Also...you'll see here...they will pimp new gear and avoid addressing back ordered simple gear that any real company would stock...
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9614332/Re:_KUIU_LIVE_EVENT!_2015_ICON#Post9614332
Of course ZERO response. It is the way they roll...

Yeah, it's sad cuz it seemed like they were gonna be a great company right out of the gate...

I have the same jacket Broomed, other than a ball cap it's the only KUIU piece I own. I actually bought 2 of them second hand as I picked up a x-large after realizing the large wouldn't allow much layering underneath.

Anyway, what do you guys think is the best product to apply to the jacket to help repel water. I know it's not a rain coat, but would like to enhance it's water repellent abilities.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Hello Everyone,

We're surprised to see this conversation here as we feel that our warranty department went above in beyond to satisfy the customer, given these circumstances:

The customer contacted the warranty department with photos of two Merino items that he purchased from the Outlet section on 9/6/2013 (560 days ago) and 3/19/2014 (366 days ago). The items clearly showed very little signs of wear, save for a few small round holes in each. By our estimation, these holes were very likely due to moths eating the fabric in storage (a common issue with Merino). Moth damage is very easy to identify- small holes close together with missing fabric. It looks just like an ember burn without the burn marks around the edges. The fact that the items spent the better part of up to a year and a half stationary in storage further supported our moth damage assumption. This was not a fabric issue.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These items did not qualify for warranty coverage for two reasons: Wear and tear/ misuse/ abuse does not fall under warranty, nor do Outlet purchases (More on Outlet Items below).

Even though the items did not technically qualify for return or exchange due to the guidelines above, our Warranty rep made the decision to go outside of policy and make an exception out of courtesy. The exception was to take both items with holes back (plus another piece bought at the same time without holes) for store credit which would have totaled $140.98. A prepaid shipping label was not part of the offer, as this service is reserved for true within-policy warranty claims.

Outlet Items are typically discontinued pieces that are sold at or below manufacturing cost. They are priced to move, and the buyer must decide before purchasing if the savings are worth the loss of warranty/exchange/return. These are all factors that are build into the final cost of a product for pretty much every company that sells anything. Our outlet items sell very quickly and almost everyone who buys them is happy to get a deal, regardless of the conditions.

Regarding the Outlet Policy statement on the Terms and Conditions page, we have realized there was a mistake: The full policy has always been posted in these terms under the Customer Service tab on our website. What we recently realized is that there's another link to what we thought was the same identical page (Terms & Conditions), but there were some discrepancies in the verbiage. This has been updated and we apologize for not catching it sooner.

I hope this explanation helps clear the air moving forward.

Last edited by PatrickM; 03/20/15.
8SNAKE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Glad to hear that you finally updated the policy. You should not be surprised at my disappointment, because I made it abundantly clear at the time of my conversations with the rep.

If you think those items were subject to wear and tear/misuse/abuse, that's absolutely pathetic. Those items were stored perfectly and used exactly ONE time for about six hours. The same way I treat literally dozens of other pieces of merino, yet yours is the only one that began falling apart with a single use. You most certainly have a merino problem, though I believe your rep claimed it has been improved some. I'll never know.

You claim to have a LIFETIME WARRANTY for your products, but you want to throw out the purchase date as an issue? Another load of crap. Just come out and say what's true. Kuiu will shirk responsibility any way it can.

You screwed up the terms and conditions page, KNEW IT for at least two or three weeks from me (and who knows how many others before that) and still didn't do anything to remedy an obvious & misleading problem. Let's not call it a discrepancy in verbiage. You had a problem and knew it, but shirked responsibility in a way that few other companies would.

People can vote with their dollars however they see fit. I hope many see your company for what it is and remember as much when they reach for their wallets. You'll certainly never see a dime from me again.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

If you think those items were subject to wear and tear/misuse/abuse, that's absolutely pathetic. Those items were stored perfectly and used exactly ONE time for about six hours.

Other issues aside, I think you missed this part

Originally Posted by PatrickM

The customer contacted the warranty department with photos of two Merino items that he purchased from the Outlet section on 9/6/2013 (560 days ago) and 3/19/2014 (366 days ago). The items clearly showed very little signs of wear, save for a few small round holes in each. By our estimation, these holes were very likely due to moths eating the fabric in storage (a common issue with Merino). Moth damage is very easy to identify- small holes close together with missing fabric.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

S
S
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

You claim to have a LIFETIME WARRANTY for your products, but you want to throw out the purchase date as an issue? Another load of crap. Just come out and say what's true. Kuiu will shirk responsibility any way it can.

You had a problem and knew it, but shirked responsibility in a way that few other companies would.

Dude... They offered you your money back on old items that sat at your house for years and got eaten by moths! How is that shirking responsibility?

Last edited by stalker123; 03/20/15.
8SNAKE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They were not eaten by moths. Those wear holes were not in the clothes prior to me wearing them and are not present in the other pair of merino bottoms that I bought and stored in the exact same way at the exact same time. This Kuiu merino is less durable than a wet Kleenex and simply fails when used.

I have a lot of merino wool. I store it all the exact same way and use it all a lot more than the Kuiu that I tried out exactly once. There are no holes or defects in any of my other merino products. If you think some magic moth sought out those two garments and chewed holes in them while I was wearing the wool, so be it. I know with absolute certainty that it didn't happen and that the holes resulted from wearing the products one time.

I'll also add that Kuiu said absolutely NOTHING to me about a moth issue when I came to them. The entire conversation was about Outlet items not being covered by warranty. My contention all along has been that Kuiu never stated as much in the Terms and Conditions page. Patrick supported this by admitting the same thing and then lamely calling it an error in verbiage. That "error in verbiage" is the difference between voiding warranty and honoring it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Maybe it's just me, but if I bought underwear and held onto it for a year or more, I wouldn't expect the vendor to take it back for a full refund. Even without the holes.

I've got a couple pieces of their gear that I like, pants, and waterproof shell gloves. Also, a lightweight pack cover. I think I may have a softshell hoodie too.

And no, none of my rifles wear a Vortex.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by 16bore
I reckon you guys got the 30% off First Lite Kanab pants email??

Had not seen that, got a pair of them on order now, thanks for the heads up.

I'm a fan of the Kuiu outerwear, like guide and attack garments, and their rainwear. Prefer FirstLite merino base layers.

Got completely stiffed on a pair of Merino glove inserts last year during Kuiu's back order issues, but will chalk that up to a newbie CS rep. (Backordered, charged but not shipped, promised credit, never received after calls, etc.). I'll likely continue to be a customer, but will be very careful not to order unless it's in stock. Have had no issues with their products, so can't comment on how they handle warranty claims.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Am I following this correctly?

A year and a half later, Insects, and a demand for full refund, from a close out item?

For real?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That would be moth damage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
That would be moth damage.

Nope nope nope.......

The clothing was destroyed in a single day of use, but then he stored it for a few years before bitching,,,,,,

or, he also said,

during storage, the fabric was damaged, again Kuiu's fault.

No Moths anywhere, just ask him.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This stuff blows my mind! A year and a half?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntr
This stuff blows my mind! A year and a half?

Are you even paying attention here?

The clothing was "used exactly ONE time for about six hours".

try to keep up Skippy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Ahhhhh the internet.....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will KUIU warranty replace other brands of moth damaged wool items? laugh

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own 8 year old Cabela Microtex pants that have developed a hole in the backside after years of hard use. Will KUIU warranty this gear?

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure there are some that have had issues with kuiu as with most any brand. I have had nothing but great service from them and will continue to support them. The attack and tiburon pants are IMO the best hunting pants I've used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PatrickM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

8Snake,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but......
This be moths. 100%. Moths.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.