-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Back in 2010, I talked to Tim Olt about a knife I wanted. I drew it out, and he worked with me on materials, grinds, handle........
What he delivered was one heck of a knife. I named it my "Osceola Companion", for all the years I have bummed around the Osceola National Forest, here in North Florida.
6 inch blade of .28 thick A2 steel. Huge green Micarta handle. This thing is a beast.
[Linked Image]

Now, right at 5 years later, after many camping trips, a lot of hard use, and even some abuse, it still takes and holds a wicked edge. I can pound it through any wood, carve, whittle, cut vines, cordage and dead animals.
An amazing knife. Might just be my all time favorite for the things I do when I am afield. Yesterday, getting ready to do some out door cooking, I needed to make some small pieces of seasoned Oak, out of some fatter ones. The OC made short work out of that chore.
[Linked Image]

Once again Tim, thanks! laugh

Sam......

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just ordered my third Montana Creek Hunter this week from Tim, but I just might have to add one of those to the list too.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
just as an aside, that sharp drop point I put in there was on purpose. When I am powering through firewood, the handle is slightly down, and the drop point level. This angle to the blade really lets the knife slice through the wood.
I don't know of any other camp knife design that thought of that. The thickness of the stock works like a wedge.
But when that chore is done, it will whittle a spoon with the best of the other designs.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cool report Sam.
If memory serves me correctly, I think I made 2 of those at the time (one for me of course).
Then I was talked out of mine, so I made one more. It is basically a virgin just sitting in the case looking like it should go to work.
I still have a couple Big Camp Knife blades laying around and a couple that are in between the Big Camp and the Osceola Companion, but I don't think I will be doing many,if any, large knives again. They sold and performed well, just not much fun grinding away that much steel.

Guess I better go down and fondle my O.C. or maybe take her for a walk.
Tim

That must be one heck of mitt you have as the knife just looks average size in the pic.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Tim, I took that A2 Big Chopper on the last kayak/camping trip. It impressed some outdoors folks that are difficult to impress. smile

..and yeah, I'm a good sized lad. shocked

Sam......

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe we should go into mass production. I know where there are some cnc grinders with open time available. My hands are getting older and don't work as well or as long and now hurt most of the time.
I did retain at least one of each chopper style for myself (more for the son to inherit probably).
Bushwhack on.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've been carrying this BUCK 119 for over 30 years during hunting and camping forays into the Appalachian Nat'l Forest. It's a KEEPER!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice to see a knife/rifle that is really used and enjoyed.

Congratulations, obviously a well thought out design.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Functionality is a major part of beauty

and that knife

looks good too!

Last edited by LouisB; 03/29/15.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I've been carrying this BUCK 119 for over 30 years during hunting and camping forays into the Appalachian Nat'l Forest. It's a KEEPER!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

The original "bushcraft" knife. ^^^^

Those old Bucks are real work horses.

Ugly as sin though. shocked

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, made one of those also----sorta---- for a Buck fan.

[Linked Image]

Or two.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 03/30/15.

Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 28 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,100
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.