Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
In 2012 I flew from Seattle to Johannesburg via Atlanta on Delta. I had just purchased a Tuffpak to check my firearms in. While checking my baggage at the Delta counter at Seatac, a supervisor walked by, saw the case, and told me that I could not check firearms in a Tuffpak because it was not a gun case. I showed her the Tuffpak website. I asked her to check with TSA. No amount of reasoning prevailed. I had to call someone to give me a ride home, switch the firearms to a Pelican case, and return to the airport. I missed my outbound flight.

I’m planning to fly again to Johannesburg via Atlanta on Delta in May. I would like to use the Tuffpak, but can’t allow the same thing to happen.

I called Delta today, and was given a snippy answer that it’s up to the agent to determine if a gun case looks like a gun case, and if not they will refuse it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Read up on TSA stuff. IIRC it only requires it be secure and lockable.

IE can't pull a hinge pin out etc...

I think I'd iron it out ahead of time and have paperwork to back me up...

As to what Delta will take or not, I think that is and should be up to the company and you have the choice to fly them on not.

I've been mighty happy flying Air Alaska for years now... they apply common sense to a number of issues.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In 2008 I flew with Delta and Air Alaska and had my guns in a lockable golf club case with no issue. Of course, since then, airlines are abusing and nickel and dimeing customers more so who knows if that would "fly" today.

I doubt, but could be wrong, that a Tuffpak would meet the current dimension restrictions for many airlines for standard baggage. If it doesn't meet standard baggage dimensions, you may find the extra charges for the various legs of your travel may more than pay for a new travel gun case.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But the cost of extra luggage fee vs not having a "gun" case stolen because it was a gun case might be worth it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I suspect that after all these years of hunters transporting firearms in TuffPaks, there isn't an airport worker on the planet that doesn't know what's likely to be inside.......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have flown Delta four times with a Tuffpak, 3x Omaha>Atlanta>JoBerg and 1x Omaha>NYC>Moscow. Never had any issues. I think you had an agent that was being a P.I.T.A. As others have said, I would use it and have the paperwork to back it up.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the feedback. The bottom line is that the Delta agent in 2012 was ignorant, rude, unreasonable, and a variety of other unprintable adjectives. There was no amount of paperwork or reason that could dissuade her. There is always a chance I will meet another agent like her; I was curious to know how likely that is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have whomever drops you off keep your pelican case in the trunk just incase you need a quick switch. odds are you'll be ok and the last agent was just a douchenozzle

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've flown many, many times with the Tuff-Pak.

I would contact the station manager for your outgoing port and get his/her concurrence on the Tuff-Pak. Also contact the Tuff-Pak people and let them know; I'd bet they will help.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have run into occasional Delta counter-people who are anti-hunting, anti-gun or both. One in Atlanta tried to tell six of headed to RSA that we had to pay the over-size baggage charge on our rifle cases. When we told him there was an exemption for sporting equipment, he started to argue. I told him to get get his supervisor. He started to argue again, but when all of us insisted he caved. She looked at him like he was an idiot (because he was), and told him to check us in, NOW.

It's always good to be prepared with a print-out of their own regs, but you still may have to ask for a supervisor. Don't argue, just do it. It's saved me a bunch of time and hassle over the years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've had a few idiots and just call the Delta Platinum desk while I'm standing there and it gets straightened out.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Delta's policy is "Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage." When the supervisor insisted that a Tuffpak is designed for golf clubs, not firearms, there wasn't anything I could do to convince her otherwise. I may just sell the Tuffpak and be done with it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
e taken my Tuffpac from Minneapolis to JoBurg and numerous Canada and USA s=destinations and never the slightest issue..

NRA Patron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,068
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.