Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
OR2BAJA Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Good evening,

Yesterday I dropped off my Grandpa's JC Higgins Model 51 in .06 off at a local gunsmith. As most of you know it was built with an FN Belgian action and with a HS chrome lined barrel. The rifle has seen a lot of use over the years. The rifle is in great condition all things considered, I was a little bit of an idiot using it as a teenager but it survived being stolen by a family member and pawned and returned luckily. On the list is..

-Restore the cracked walnut stock as close to new as possible. As far as a finish I might go a little darker than original. The stock will be stored and maybe used at times but I just received a hogue overmold stock that will take on duty as the primary stock.

-The rifles iron sights are being removed as they have never been used and more space for a larger scope will be available.

-Install new Timney blue trigger.

-The bolt is going to be gone through and inspected

-It is undecided at this time if the barrel will cut down to 20 inches from 22 but it for sure be turned in the lathe to freshen up the crown.

-A 3 position safety is being sourced to allow for better scope options as the factory safety does not fully engage due to scope.

-After a long discussion about finish I opted to go with a flat black duracoat. The bolt will remain in the white as it came from the factory.

I would like some help sourcing a 3 position safety. I have been strongly considering the PTG 3 position safety. http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com...fo&cPath=308_49&products_id=1030

I am totally open to recommendations about the safety so please chime in about anything and everything.

Please recommend better scope bases. I am currently running weaver #45 and #46 bases but I am looking at a new larger scope. I want the scope to sit as low place as possible.

Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by OR2BAJA; 03/19/15.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 03/19/15.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No offense intended but you seem to be well on your way to taking Grandpa's JC Higgins Model 51 to Bubbaville..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am no expert, but I did just research some of this for a J.C. Higgins M50.

Safety:

- A three-position safety would be nice, but not as much as people seem to demand it. A two-position safety is actually fine operationally as far as safety. It is easy enough to safely unload a controlled feed rifle (like a Mauser), even one having a blind magazine, because you never have to close the bolt as you run the rounds into and out of the chamber. When starting to unload, you are “vulnerable” for only a few seconds when you switch off the safety to open the bolt on the chambered round. If you are concerned you gun is going to fire then, you have a major problem you need to address. In fact, if the rifle is working as it should, you should be able to safely unload even a push feed, blind-magazine rifle, one where you have to close the bolt on each round. Even so, I admit I prefer controlled feed actions. In all cases, regardless of the gun involved, muzzle awareness will prevent an accidental discharge from becoming a tragedy.
- You may want the capability to disassemble the bolt without tools. You might be willing to live with one that requires the rim of a cartridge, possibly even a cartridge rim and a coin, but the fewer tools, the better.
- For a low mounted scope, you basically have three choice:

1. Buehler “low swing” style. These are two-position safeties. They are the least expensive.
a. Buehler – This is an old brand that I don’t think is made any longer.
b. Timney – This is enough of a copy of the Buehler, that it is called “Buehler style.” I think it is the best one as far as ease of installation.
c. Dayton Traister – This is a bit less expensive than the Timney, but not enough to matter. The reason to consider this one is I think it may allow the scope to be mounted lower than the Timney will allow.

2. Side swing style – These are two-position, but will operate with the same motion as a three-position when going from fully safe to fire. They are actually kits, so you can have one installed in your shroud, or buy one already done, shroud and all (My choice, since if the guy messes up the shroud, it is his problem. And unless you are doing it yourself, you are paying someone else to fit it. So, pay the guy who is already set up, who has done a bunch of them, and knows the tricks.) An interesting thing is that while I don’t like the looks of these as much as the M70 style three-position ones, I have seen picture of at least two different VERY expensive David Miller Mauser rifles that appear to use this type of safety. These were SUPER expensive custom rifles, so I expect there was a reason other than economy that caused Miller to use this style of safety. I suppose he could have been too proud to use a part from another maker of the three-position safeties, but I wouldn’t think so.
a. Wisner – I personally like the look of these more than the Glen Chapman, and some people say they are a better design that is also easier to install.
b. Glen Chapman
c. PME? – I think this is the same company as the Wisner?
I think you can find one installed in a shroud for $110 to $130.

3. Model 70 style three-position - One of this style may be required if you want to be able to disassemble the bolt without tools, and this can be a very good feature to have.
a. Dakota Arms – This one is from a company that builds good rifles. It is about $150 from Brownell’s.
b. Pacific Tool & Guage – Some knowledgable people think this is the same as the Dakota, meaning Dakota makes it for Pacific Tool & Guage or the other way around.
c. Gentry - It is about $190 from Brownell’s. Some say the Gentry can be loose on some bolts, but not usually on good quality guns. Presumably, it wouldn’t be loose on an FN.
d. New England Custom Guns (NECG) – Is this actually a Recknagle? I don't know. $220 from Midway.
e. Ed LaPour – Not sure how much, but I bet it is at least $250.
f. Stuart Satterlee - $250, according to his website.

The last two are well regarded builders of custom rifles, and Satterlee actually builds actions from scratch.

Hope this helps.
Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 03/19/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
O
OR2BAJA Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Awesome thank you for the link. Looks like my bolt might be making a trip to lapour.

IC B2

O
OR2BAJA Offline OP
OP Offline
O
bubbaville? c'mon... I do not want to further damage the stock? The hogue is a very nice stock especially for hunts on the damp Oregon coast that can take a beating and for the 85 bucks I payed for it, it can't be beat. The technology of coating a rifle for longevity has progressed pass bluing, bluing is going to wear down again. I have always been a fan of short barreled rifles and that is going to be a decision that has not been finalized but it is going under the knife to clean up the crown whether it is to shorten it or not. Nothing that is happening will not be able returned to new but the rifle sights are not in the cards.

It was not an easy decision to change the rifle but I am making the relative improvements to keep it going for another 50-60 years.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm with George. The LaPour, Timney and re crown are class items. The rest of the "modern improvements" are bubba. Rubber peels. I'm not sure of Duracoat, but I am sure of blue. I have a pair of 52 year old Browning shotguns that have been hunted in light rain, drizzle, freezing drizzle and snow. ( I don't hunt in a real rain). They have had ice form on the barrels only to be thawed by shooting them. The blue is not as fresh as new, but it is not gone either. Cleaning and waxing the metal before as well as after the hunt helps a lot. Removing and sealing the wood inside and a good wax preserves the wood.

On the other hand, it is your gun to do with as you wish, but the old dead guys were not dumb either. 60-65 years for a blue job isn't bad.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OR2BAJA,

Cerakote is more durable on the metal than Duracoat. Something to consider.

Your updates and upgrades sound pretty reasonable to me. I don't agree with the Bubba comments. It sounds like you are doing your research and pretty much know what you want. A Higgins M-51 is an excellent candidate for this sort of project. It is not like you are messing up a museum piece. Just making a good working gun better.

I would think twice about shortening the barrel very much, other than cleaning up the crown, unless that Hogue stock is too butt-light for you. Balance lost is not easily regained.

Welcome to the Campfire. You sound like our kind of guy.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I rehabbed a Higgins a few years ago. The metal was rust peppered and the stock was cracked. The rifle had no sentimental value and I didn't care for the stock with or without a cracked in it so it was replaced.

I replaced the trigger with a Timney Sportsman. The mounts were replaced with Talley L/W's. Cerakote was used to refinish and was dropped in a McMillan stock. I didn't replace the safety as I'm a big fan of the FN safety. I thought about cutting a few inches off the barrel but decided against it.

All in all I'm very happy with the results. If I bubba'd it, well, so be it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

McMillan has recently come out with a new Sako compact stock and I have one with a M98 inlet on order. I'll be selling this one soon.

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 03/20/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lookin good.... Soon to be eating crow here, eating crow.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

O
OR2BAJA Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Thanks for all of the input and opinions. The hogue was a cheap and simple replacement as my wood stock was going to be refurbished before the rifle was going to be worked on but that mcmillan stock looks really really nice and I may have to look into one, is that a sporter stock?

TC1, does your safety hit the scope?

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OR2BAJA

TC1, does your safety hit the scope?

No, it's close but doesn't touch. A simple flick of the thumb kicks it to the fire position.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The stock is their MarkX pattern which is the same as their Sako Classic.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The only real difference between the M50 and M51 is the M51 came with a checkered stock and cost more. I agree the FN style safety can be a bit of a snug fit under a scope but it's never been enough of a bother to me. Frankly, you don't have to cut the barrel to do a crown.
I have a few of those J.C. Higgins in the M50 configuration, one having been redone as a custom 7x57. The rest are still in 30-06. If you're going with a different scope set up, what do do plan to do with the Weaver bases. The M50 and probably the M51 have an oddball screw hole spacing on the rear bridge and I could use a set of the Weavers.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
O
OR2BAJA Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Paul I will let you know. The weaver bases I put on the M51 back in 1998 was #45 #46 and they appear to still be available. I think I am going to go the route of TC1 and the bases he used.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Weaver J C Higgins bases are currently available from Midway. fyi

Last edited by woods_walker; 03/20/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many of the 50-51s have three rear base holes.. the hole spacing is the difference, either .550 or .860 I believe. Those drilled with three holes will fit either.

g

Thomas Jefferson

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good point. My 50 has the three rear base screws. They provide that additional flexibility.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rear ring on mine only has 2 holes with a .500" spacing.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I went with Warne Maxima bases and rings, the bases you need are M902/831. I also had Jim Kobe (Jkob here on the 'fire) install a 2 position Wisner safety, which for me, is a huge upgrade from the factory safety.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.