Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What's the commonly held perception of the "lock" smith & wessons compared to the versions without the chastity belt?

Seems that the pre-locks are more sought after.

Why?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.gov intrusion.

Plus, its friggin ugly.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because every time you complicate the mechanics of an object for a feature nobody wants, you add one more thing that can go wrong without a corresponding benefit. There are reports of locks engaging during strings of fire.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
What's the commonly held perception of the "lock" smith & wessons compared to the versions without the chastity belt?

Why?

Because the damn things can lock themselves in use and under recoil.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
well, that sounds safe.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Won't speak for others. For me the lock is a symbol of corrupt influence and behavior of our government under the Clinton Administration. It symbolizes how the left think tools are responsible for bad human behavior and that people shouldn't be held responsible for their bad behavior as well as accountable for it. And worse at the time the SW CEO was a limey who thought the same way. As a longtime SW fan and owner I was offended by it all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What everyone else said.

Note to S&W: as a (somewhat prolific) consumer, have zero interest in any product with that ridiculous lock. The no-lock 642(?) and M&P however am looking at adding, however. Hint. You want to sell revolvers, or not?

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm guessing it was providence when I was sitting at the gun shop and a guy wanted to trade in a pre-lock NIB 442 for one with a lock "because of his wife"

When the dealer gave him a price, I told the guy, lets step outside a moment....

all things considered, it was the extra parts thing that always bugged me, but that's because murphy is my constant companion.

No magazine disconnect or safety on my M&P either...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
.gov intrusion.

Plus, its friggin ugly.

Sums it up for me.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Won't speak for others. For me the lock is a symbol of corrupt influence and behavior of our government under the Clinton Administration. It symbolizes how the left think tools are responsible for bad human behavior and that people shouldn't be held responsible for their bad behavior as well as accountable for it. And worse at the time the SW CEO was a limey who thought the same way. As a longtime SW fan and owner I was offended by it all.

That sums it up for me. I've owned quite a few S&W revolvers and love them, but I have not and will not own one with that damn lock.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
bea175
Thanks for posting this I have one of these 642's
and I will take out the useless widget ASAP!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Order "The Plug" from the guy over at the S&W forum. They look about as nice as you could hope for and I think they're only about $30.

And having seen numerous 29,629, and 329 revolvers that would lock themselves while being fired cured me of ever buying one with that stupid thing in the side of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a problem with a company that puts a defective gadget on a gun for litigation purposes and then puts the burden on the consumer to deactivate it and give the seller a potential litigation advantage (e.g. "It's not our fault because the consumer deactivated a safety device that could have prevented it from firing at all."). S&W probably figures that the possible expense of the gun not working when a person needs it to work is less than the expense of dealing with an argument that it made an "unsafe" gun.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 03/20/15. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I was always a fan of S&W revolvers. I carried one for the first part of my career and loved it. I subsequently owned several more. When the locks came along I sold what I had and will not buy another S&W. Let the government they design their guns for buy them.

-Z

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking back at S&W for the last 25 years do you think they have any morals, standards or highly regarded ethics? Under control of several different companies they have: slandered Glock, then copied Glock, then the deal with the Clintons to corner the market. Not to disparage the guns, but the companies ethics are questionable.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you watch the u tube video it looks quite simple to remove it.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It changed for the worse the classic looks and lines of the revolvers. More material had to be added to the back of the frame. Also the previous points mentioned.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by RWE

Why?

A 357 PD locked up on me twice when shooting fast double action.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by RWE

Why?

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,251
Posts18,466,956
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.