Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
While hunting coyotes down along the Mexican border the local game warden suggested that I pack a handgun in addition to my shotgun or rifle.

I have a Taurus Tracker in 41 Mag that I carry up north when I'm in the woods without a long gun but it is a little on the heavy side with my calling gear. I don't think the warden was thinking about bears but multiple drug runners.

I was thinking more on the order of a Glock 26 with a spare full size mag in reserve. Any pro's and con's with this selection?

Thanks
Erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
As a G26 owner I'd go with a G17 or G19. 9mm with good ammo is adequate for 2 legged foe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G19 would be good. I like my M&P9 also. I have an XDs 45 that is small and light, but packs 8 rounds of 45 with the mag extension.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think folks should carry whatever they want to carry. That being said, there is nothing that a handgun, any handgun, will do in that particular situation that a long gun will not do much, much better.

RS

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
few years ago a guy i know was sitting in a white dodge truck on the road next to the barb wire fence down mexico way. A lot of that country is brown, no pun intended, and he was glassing from the top of a hill. Out of the brush jumps some black suited ninja types carrying full auto's on the was back into micheho.
They tried to hide until they realized wasn't a border patrol type of guy.
The cartels have lots of money and good equipment. A two or three shot varmit rifle isn't high on the list in my opinion.
And I love .41magnum. But, I can see a ar15, or m1ascout, or a.k. in a rifle with some spare mags, and a hicap pistola of what ever flavor y ou want, key word hi cap.
Needless to say that ain't country to take lightly.
Another guy was telling me of hunting pigs along down there, and having a couple of guys open up on them with full auto a.k.'s.
Those aren't just stories, they happen now and then.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
by the way not a game warden per se in arizona, game and fish officer is probably closer.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
in rereading your post, i am pretty sure he wasnn't talking about bears. All that country south of I10 is cartel country these days, and in reality, a lot further north.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by erich
While hunting coyotes down along the Mexican border the local game warden suggested that I pack a handgun in addition to my shotgun or rifle.

I have a Taurus Tracker in 41 Mag that I carry up north when I'm in the woods without a long gun but it is a little on the heavy side with my calling gear. I don't think the warden was thinking about bears but multiple drug runners.

I was thinking more on the order of a Glock 26 with a spare full size mag in reserve. Any pro's and con's with this selection?

Thanks
Erich

The 26 will certainly work though I prefer the G-19/23 size to the G-26/27. I shoot the larger size better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
few years ago a guy i know was sitting in a white dodge truck on the road next to the barb wire fence down mexico way. A lot of that country is brown, no pun intended, and he was glassing from the top of a hill. Out of the brush jumps some black suited ninja types carrying full auto's on the was back into micheho.
The cartels have lots of money and good equipment. A two or three shot varmit rifle isn't high on the list in my opinion.
And I love .41magnum. But, I can see a ar15, or m1ascout, or a.k. in a rifle with some spare mags, and a hicap pistola of what ever flavor y ou want, key word hi cap.
Another guy was telling me of hunting pigs along down there, and having a couple of guys open up on them with full auto a.k.'s.

this right here, ^

if we're talking about shooting two legged varmints that shoot back? then F a bunch of handguns imo.

I'd want firepower and range

besides if you're hunting coyotes, can't think of a much better choice than a .223 AR-15 variant

and getting proficient with that rifle only increases your stature as a patriot.

it's a win/win all the way around from my view.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An AR-15 makes a damn good Coyote hunting rig for the 4-legged AND 2-legged variety!
As far as packing a Pistole in the Border Counrty of the US, I want one with CAPACITY.
Glock 19 or 17 would be a logical choice if you like plastic. It's cheap, reliable, and plenty accurate for minute of Meskin work, too. wink
But any good Hi-Cap Wonder 9mm like the M&P, Springfield XD, Browning HP, ect will work in a pinch!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/20/15. Reason: Damn spellcheck :-(

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd get a Glock 19 over any subcompact and it sounds ideal for what you need. But I'd just start coyote hunting with an AR before I messed with either.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'll echo the AR sentiment, but my personal preference is M&Pc over the G19. Just my own like/dislike.....

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not trying to tell you your business but I don't go out in the bush alone anymore. Especially anywhere south of Casa Grande.
I carry a G17 dove/coyote hunting and it doesn't get in the way at all.
If you decide on the Glock the happy sticks are a man's best friend.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
An AR-15 makes a damn good Coyote hunting rig for the 4-legged AND 2-legged variety!
As far as packing a Pistole in the Border Counrty of the US, I want one with CAPACITY.
Glock 19 or 17 would be a logical cost if you like plastic. It's cheap, reliable, and plenty accurate for minute of Meskin work, too. wink
But any good Hi-Cap Wonder 9mm like the M&P, Springfield XD, Browning HP, ect will work in a pinch!

This. In spades.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'd get a Glock 19 over any subcompact and it sounds ideal for what you need. But I'd just start coyote hunting with an AR before I messed with either.

Yep. I can conceal my Glock 19 just as easily as my Glock 26, and I shoot my 19 much better than my 26, too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For your purposes the g19 or standard M&P is superb. If im alone i mainly run my AR or the comvo gun i got from you but my biggest worry is hippie weed growers. Down that way a light AR with a back up handgun would rule.

I agree the combo gun is best all around for yote calling but when the atmosphere can turn deadly quickly i'll take the rd count and range of a semi auto rifle

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by erich

Thanks
Erich

Form for your needs I would go with an AR-15 with a couple of 30 round spare magazines if I ran into drug runner problems.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I really don't care what others hunt with but if I had to hunt coyotes with an AR I'd quit coyote hunting. I feel that way about birds and semi-autos also.

My idea of an interesting coyote gun, it is very effective, but the best part was getting it into the field again. Forty mile south of Tucson.

[Linked Image]

This hunt was a lot more interesting than with an 870 or SBE

[Linked Image]

The question is about a piece of gear that is going to hang on my side and be about as un-intrusive as possible to my hunt. Other than shooting it at paper to familiarize myself with it and to learn to shoot it as well as possible it will be like energy bar or match safe, never to be used in the field until absolutely and unavoidably needed.

I did look at the specs on the larger Glock and was surprised at how close it is to the 26 in weight.

Last edited by erich; 03/21/15.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
erich,

The rationale behind the different suggestions is due to different locations.

Our TX and SW brethren are making the recommendations that they are because in their area coyotes come in on two and four legs.

The Glock 19 is about a good a suggestion as you'll get for what you're thinking about. A BHP wouldn't suck, either, and fits more with your preferred weaponry.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

this right here, ^

if we're talking about shooting two legged varmints that shoot back? then F a bunch of handguns imo.

I'd want firepower and range

besides if you're hunting coyotes, can't think of a much better choice than a .223 AR-15 variant

and getting proficient with that rifle only increases your stature as a patriot.

it's a win/win all the way around from my view.

one of the things i left out, and i shouldn't have is optics. Along the border you can run into a lot of brushy, canyon short range stuff, or you don't, in which case you are talking long distance type stuff. I know a guy that found a stash of 300wsm in a hideout down that way a few years ago along with other stuff. It wasn't left there by varmint hunters. I do know the cartels have spotters up on top of mts. Most of the time you wouldn't know they are there, and they normally wouldn't want to call attention by bothering you, but you don't know. Optics are your friend.

The desert is a strange place these days. For years i ran all over arizona just with a revolver. Then like a week or two ago, i am up a desert wash and i find about 1000 L.C. 5.56 casings where somebody(s) have been beating up a human size target maybe 25yards away. Who would do that and for what purpose. I keep telling myself i have to take my own advice and carry a rifle anytime i am out on the rural desert. Another thing i might add, is a lot of that country along the line is not condusive to cellphone coverage, even the b.p. has trouble in some areas with their radio's. 911 type backup could well be hours away, and that's just the truth.
I was on a farm a couple of years ago looking for dove right off I8 south of casa grande, which is a ways from the international line. The mgr says to me, you DO KNOW while you are working those desert stock tanks you are in CARTEL country, don't you? He had a point, i went home.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/21/15.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.