Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I recently bought a 1964 Marlin 336. It was packed very well and arrived damaged. Cracked stock. Looked like it was dropped from quite a height and broke the butt plate and the screw holding it on, was pushed up into the wood and split the stock. One of the things I liked about it was the dark wood (walnut) and slender forearm which wasn't damaged, but if I change out the butt stock it won't match the front. It's probably a 6" crack but hasn't completely separated. Chances of finding something that would match what I have as you can imagine is going to be difficult. I'm thinking I may just glue it well and hope it holds. Any ideas??? Fortunately he shipped it UPS insured and looks like they are going to cough up maybe $200 or so for a new rear stock. I bought it here and the guy I bought it from has been very helpful (fortunately) so it could certainly be worse.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM Sitka deer here on the forum. He has given me some good advice on dealing with damaged stocks.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blows my mind how careless UPS has gotten. Seems like they intentionally unleash the gorillas if the box looks like it might contain a rifle. I (at work) ship a lot of guns that we sell on GunBroker. Last year I sent a rifle from here (S.C.) to Georgia IN A HARD CASE, a one day delivery. And the stock was broken at the wrist. Wouldn't have been so bad if it was a run of the mill beater but it was a Cooper with knockout wood. Had to pay Cooper $675 to restock it and EVENTUALLY UPS paid for it...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Karnis, on here, is another great wood man.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Karnis, on here, is another great wood man.

I agree, but he hasn't been online since May 17th of last year.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CJ. I have had good results with Bob Brownells acraglas.
separate the halve slightly and use canned air to get it into the tight spots. clamp or rubber band together and go play for a day or two. it comes with color packets that you can play with to get the shade right.
sorry to hear of your problem, but these things seem to target good guys, and you are one!
will never forget your kindness to me.
Tom

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Tom I like your idea. Thanks for the input.
Marlin

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,915
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.