Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I am trying to stay in the 1200$ range and I think those go for quite a bit more??

I just bought one, NIB, off of Gunbroker, $1179 with free shipping.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
BP-B6

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Seems like a lot of gun for the money, match grade, lapped barrels, trued actions, tuned triggers, glass and pillar bedded. Kinda looks close to custom and cheaper than you could build it for. ??

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 03/19/15.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
My personal belief is that this company is about to catch fire. I think SAS would agree with me on that one. Their X2 is indeed quite a gem for the money.

...... Move over Kimber Montana, here comes the real Montana rifle

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Yes I've been drinking

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I concur with the thoughts on the stocks on the AVR and the AVR-SS; I have been strongly considering a MRC in 458 Win. A concern for me is there are no cross-bolts (black spots are cosmetic, per the company). In the same correspondence, they told me they ARE glass bedded. For the smaller bore rifles, I would think the stock would hold up fine and shoot well. From looking at the catalogue (not handling one) it just doesn't look like a very high quality stock.

With that said, I really like everything else about the barreled action. As noted previously, it appears to be an updated pre-64. I appreciate it using the old style m70 trigger. I am now considering buying just the barreled action and going with a McMillan or an wood stock (if I can find a reasonably priced big-bore wood stock.....).

Eric

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
My personal belief is that this company is about to catch fire. I think SAS would agree with me on that one. Their X2 is indeed quite a gem for the money.

How well does yours shoot/feed etc?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

They may catch fire, but they are two different rifles. The MRC will appeal to the old guard Model 70 crowd and thus I like mine. Waiting on Leupold QR's.

Whither you prefer one over the other depends on what you are happy carrying around.

Last edited by battue; 03/20/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I have a few hundred rounds through the 260 and about 100 through the 308 without a hiccup.

Battue is astute and on touching on the key point. The Kimber and the MRC are different rifles. I grew up using a M70 and so the MRC feels very natural to me. The Kimber was very accurate, and pleasant to carry, but I just did not enjoy shooting it and it sat in the safe.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Hopeful it will do just fine.
I will know once I get it.
Payment goes out Monday

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Hopeful it will do just fine.
I will know once I get it.
Payment goes out Monday

So a rifle you've never held nor shot is a gem for the money and should trump a Kimber. Compelling

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Calm your tits Mr. Buzzkill
I'm excited about my new purchase. Based on everything I've heard from people who have them, they are a gem.
And yes, it is my prediction that they will take over The synthetic/stainless market.
Go poop, you'll feel better.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Originally Posted by FFemtRN5287
pair in 7STW and 358STA would be an appropriate birthday present for myself this year.

That is quite a pair of powder burners.

Ya, and unfortunately I'm not seeing either available on their website anymore. A little over a year ago they had a section for custom rifles and both of those calibers were available. I guess I'll have to drop them an email and see if they are still offering them.

Brandon Gleason
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Calm your tits Mr. Buzzkill
I'm excited about my new purchase. Based on everything I've heard from people who have them, they are a gem.
And yes, it is my prediction that they will take over The synthetic/stainless market.
Go poop, you'll feel better.

Compelling

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Good one, a lot of thought put into that comeback

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
pair in 7STW and 358STA would be an appropriate birthday present for myself this year.

That is quite a pair of powder burners.

Ya, and unfortunately I'm not seeing either available on their website anymore. A little over a year ago they had a section for custom rifles and both of those calibers were available. I guess I'll have to drop them an email and see if they are still offering them.

I like your choices as well. My two go-to big game rifles are very similar. a 7mm Mashburn Super (very close to the STW in case capacity but will fit in my Mauser action rifle, barely) and a wildcat 338/8mm RemMag that I came up with about 25 years ago and call a 340 Tyrannosaur. The 338 Wildcat will push 225TTSX's out at3100, and the big 7 will push Moly'ed 120gr TTSX's to 3600 or more. Hoping for 3400 with 140's for my
next load work up in that rifle.

Fantastic two rifle combo for all game short of Elephant and Rhino/Hippo class. Last time I checked, not a lot of tags available for those kinds of animals here in the US.

Last edited by safariman; 03/20/15.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PS, if MRC does not make these calibers anymore, not hard to get two of them chambered for a different long magnum caliber and re bore or re chamber as nessesary.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have two custom rifles build on the MRC action and love them both. 375 Ruger and 300 WBY, both feed and function well. No comparison to my Kimber Montana. Would not hesitate to say they are a great value.

Brad Watkins Custom Knives
www.facebook.com/watkinsknives/
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been researching them a bit myself. Hoping to convince the wife that ordering a stainless/synthetic pair in 7STW and 358STA would be an appropriate birthday present for myself this year.

your right it would be a nice birthday present i built a 7mmstw on their barreled action and it shoots great

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
526 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.