Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Synthetic stocks esp on a nice vintage gun such as a Pre 64 M70 is IMHO like having sex with a condom. It works but you loose something along the way smile

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I agree with GSPfan. On the other hand, if we continue the analogy and liken a big stock ding to an unwanted pregnancy, perhaps some careful planning/prevention is in order.

I will say that many of you get more upset about a well done pad than I do. I'm not saying I would cut an uncut stock. I wouldn't, but IMO a well done pad hardly changes the intrinsic character of a rifle.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A stock ding can be removed with a damp cloth and an iron for the most part....the other thing not so much.

I bought (cheap) a pre64 M70 in 220 Swift that someone had cut the stock on. I had to add a pad so I used one of the Winchester reproductions from Galazan. It works but I don't like it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Synthetic stocks esp on a nice vintage gun such as a Pre 64 M70 is IMHO like having sex with a condom. It works but you loose something along the way smile

I love my synthetic stocked pre 64's. Makes them more user friendly and easier to maintain. Plus they aren't going to soak up water or when they get dinged up, they won't lose value. I try to hang onto the original wood on rifles I think I may sell down the road.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
S
So it was you! lol
I was going to grab this one but it was sold by the time I saw the ad. Congrats on a beautiful rifle!

Last edited by Spongerob; 03/23/15.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Whoa. Nice rifle, rembo. Enjoy!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well, then let me replace ding with big, ugly, deep, nasty scratch. The kind that will always be there.

But I do agree entirely that part of the experience of hunting with a Pre '64 is an original stock (although IMO a pad detracts little from the experience.)

On the other hand, if you want to hunt it hard and you want to save a nice stock, nothing wrong with BSA's plan. The main thing is he keeps the pieces together for posterity's sake.

Me? I split the difference and use an original stock, probably with a pad, that has little collector value. And even those ain't all that cheap.

Had the .220 Swift not had the stock cut, maybe you wouldn't have bought it all that cheap. And you might also be a little less inclined to take it out and use. But, I could be wrong about that.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Well, then let me replace ding with big, ugly, deep, nasty scratch. The kind that will always be there.

But I do agree entirely that part of the experience of hunting with a Pre '64 is an original stock (although IMO a pad detracts little from the experience.)

On the other hand, if you want to hunt it hard and you want to save a nice stock, nothing wrong with BSA's plan. The main thing is he keeps the pieces together for posterity's sake.

Me? I split the difference and use an original stock, probably with a pad, that has little collector value. And even those ain't all that cheap.

Had the .220 Swift not had the stock cut, maybe you wouldn't have bought it all that cheap. And you might also be a little less inclined to take it out and use. But, I could be wrong about that.

Gundoc. I like that plan too: Finding a good shooter stock. That's what I did with the '51 std wt. 30-06 EricM owns now. I pillar/glass bedded and freefloated the barrel on that one and it shoots better than any pre 64 I've had. I like doing this as well since I have a soft spot in my heart for a good wood stock too. This is one of the reasons I couldn't force myself to re-stock the 338 Alaskan since it is just about right, even with the ventilated recoil pad that absorbs a lot of recoil. Now, I just spent 3 hours in the shop taking out the nice glass bedding job on the coyote bomber swirly to throw my 375 H&H into. I am thinking I might pack it around this year for elk season, when I'm not carrying my custom 338 win mag (pre 64 model 70) grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gun Doc I just like wood stocks and use the ones I have to the best of my ability from custom built rifles with truly gorgeous wood to expensive SXS shotguns there are no safe queens. If use puts a scratch or ding then it's just another memory. I took a bad fall last year Grouse hunting. I was carrying a CHE Parker 20ga one of 8 built with 26 inch Damascus barrels. We both came out ok.
There is a place for the synthetic stock and I have 4 rifles so stocked. If I'm ever able to get back to Alaska the ugly gun will be my rifle. A Ruger M77 stainless 338WM. The synthetics just for me don't have that warm feeling you get from a nice stick of walnut.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GSPfan
The synthetics just for me don't have that warm feeling you get from a nice stick of walnut.

Agree 100%. The only non-wood stock I've ever owned on a gun went out the door recently, a paratrooper-stocked M1 Carbine. I just do not care for synthetic of any kind. Just old and crotchety I guess.
yooper

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice 300. Randy

US Army Ft Carson, Co 1976 to 1979
R
rembo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Here's what the 300 H&H looks like now. A local stock guy went over a '57 high comb 270 stock and bedded the 300 into it.
Goncalo Alves fore-end tip, red Pachymahr, recut checkering and about 30 coats of oil.
I think it'll do. The original 300 stock is in storage.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That'll work.
Bob

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Probably a fine gun to hunt with now.... Any .300 mag is a usable arm . A classy looking .300H&H is even better. Only down side is I bet is fairly heavy?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Probably a fine gun to hunt with now.... Any .300 mag is a usable arm . A classy looking .300H&H is even better. Only down side is I bet is fairly heavy?

The weight is practically same as standard grade .270 or .30-06 of the same vintage. The only downside is in most places ammo is either made of unobtainium or very, very expensive.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (338Rules, 338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 22 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,110
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.