Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
noduck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I'm thinking of 2017 for a BC moose hunt. With the thread of the bad outfitter. I was wondering if any BC residents could recommend a region where a 45to50 inch moose is possible.I know they get bigger moose up there but trying to keep somewhat of a budget.

The thread of bad outfitter is a great example why i am looking for info. The Kootenays was an area i was looking at. Seems like it gets hunted pretty good?

A guy starts looking at outfitter websites and gets pumped up .But what is reality of the area?

I guess i'm looking for a moose hunt with a chance at seeing some moose and maybe looking for 45-50 spread.Would love to see 50-55 spread but from what i been looking at the price really jumps up

In the past people have asked these same questions and the first answer is how much you want to spend? I would like to spend 6k-8k. 8k on high end still have to pay for airfare etc etc.

Any info on a decent region would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Noduck.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ootsa lake country-Muddy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Personally with all the upheaval between the resident hunters being screwed with up to 40% of tag allocation being given to guides for resale. I would not be recommending B.C. as a destination for a guided hunt. It is going to be a gong show in most guiding areas with a huge number of resident hunters lacking and flying into their territories(quite legally) to hunt. if you want to hunt Canada I would suggest Alberta or the Yukon until this mess is settled and the Government brings our Allocation in line with the rest of North America with 90 of tag allocation going to residents hunters like most other places. Thanks for your understanding, I'm sure you would be up in arms as well if you lost up to 40% of hunting opportunities at home, thanks for your support of fellow hunters. support

BORN to HUNT
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
One thing for sure, moose are much bigger in the northern part of the province. Kootenay moose are Shiras.
I'd look within a few hundred miles of the Yukon border if a big one was on my list. Coming from the states I would also look into the Yukon and the western side of the North West Territories if I wanted a really big one. I suspect they will not come cheap though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Yukon is where you want to go.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by patbrennan
One thing for sure, moose are much bigger in the northern part of the province. Kootenay moose are Shiras.
I'd look within a few hundred miles of the Yukon border if a big one was on my list. Coming from the states I would also look into the Yukon and the western side of the North West Territories if I wanted a really big one. I suspect they will not come cheap though.

NO, the Moose in the Kootenays are NOT "Shirasi" and the populations in southern BC are also just "Alces Alces".

There may be some "Shirasi" in ONLY The Flathead and perhaps The Wigwam valleys, but, the ones I saw on my last trip there were definitely A A in colour, antler size-configuration and were identical to the ones I have seen in the Cariboo, northern Alberta and several other locales.

I can supply sources should you wish.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Sorry, when I think of the kootenays I think east Kootenays and even more specifically the flathead area (where I did several trips), hence the Shiras reference. I stand corrected.
The biggest moose will still be from the northern end of the province.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The Flathead Valley is a small section of the EK and some prominent bios. tend to discount the presence of "Shirasi" even there. I tend to agree and have NEVER seen, since I first worked there for the BCFS 50 years ago, a Moose, that I thought was a "Shirasi".

I spent months there living alone, no breaks, doing forestry work, did patrol work there earlier and spent a six week stint there managing a private silvicultural project some months before moving to Vancouver.

I doubt that ANY "Shirasi" exist in The Flathead, The Wigwam or The Lodgepole and I also think that the reason some say they do is to enhance the commercial trophy collecting industry in the EK.

Nothing, "written in stone", but, the VERY nice bull Moose I saw in my last visit to "Butt's-ez" as locals call it, was definitely NOT a "Shiras" and he was near the summit of the pass.

Yes, Moose tend to be larger further from the 49th, but, many HUGE specimens are shot in central BC still and those from certain areas of the Kootenays are also VERY large. I have helped with some real monsters over the years, never cared to hunt/shoot one myself, find it boring, not at all like hunting Elk.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by SNAP
The Flathead Valley is a small section of the EK and some prominent bios. tend to discount the presence of "Shirasi" even there. I tend to agree and have NEVER seen, since I first worked there for the BCFS 50 years ago, a Moose, that I thought was a "Shirasi".

I spent months there living alone, no breaks, doing forestry work, did patrol work there earlier and spent a six week stint there managing a private silvicultural project some months before moving to Vancouver.

I doubt that ANY "Shirasi" exist in The Flathead, The Wigwam or The Lodgepole and I also think that the reason some say they do is to enhance the commercial trophy collecting industry in the EK.

Nothing, "written in stone", but, the VERY nice bull Moose I saw in my last visit to "Butt's-ez" as locals call it, was definitely NOT a "Shiras" and he was near the summit of the pass.

Yes, Moose tend to be larger further from the 49th, but, many HUGE specimens are shot in central BC still and those from certain areas of the Kootenays are also VERY large. I have helped with some real monsters over the years, never cared to hunt/shoot one myself, find it boring, not at all like hunting Elk.

Any pictures of these monsters you have helped with, or any pictures of elk you have taking in the last 10 years.
Thanks

Last edited by stew; 03/23/15.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by noduck
I'm thinking of 2017 for a BC moose hunt. With the thread of the bad outfitter. I was wondering if any BC residents could recommend a region where a 45to50 inch moose is possible.I know they get bigger moose up there but trying to keep somewhat of a budget.

The thread of bad outfitter is a great example why i am looking for info. The Kootenays was an area i was looking at. Seems like it gets hunted pretty good?

A guy starts looking at outfitter websites and gets pumped up .But what is reality of the area?

I guess i'm looking for a moose hunt with a chance at seeing some moose and maybe looking for 45-50 spread.Would love to see 50-55 spread but from what i been looking at the price really jumps up

In the past people have asked these same questions and the first answer is how much you want to spend? I would like to spend 6k-8k. 8k on high end still have to pay for airfare etc etc.

Thanks Noduck.

There is a couple outfitters in the kootenays that can produce some nice moose but I don't think they will fall in your price range. If you want to post up some of the outfitters you are looking into it may help in getting a yes or no response. I would for sure stay away from the one mentioned in the bad outfitter thread.
Good luck and don't let people try to bully or scare you away from hunting in B.C.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Babine outfitters are good folks to work with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at http://www.ramcreek.ca/
The main picture on the moose hunt is mine. PM me with any questions. That's also a picture of me with an elk on the home page brochure. Yeah, they are Shiras there.

Here is another great place to hunt. A bit more money but bigger moose as well. http://monasheeoutfitting.com/
I have not hunted moose there but have bear hunted several times there and have seen many moose. PM me if you want more info.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by stew

Thanks Noduck.

There is a couple outfitters in the kootenays that can produce some nice moose but I don't think they will fall in your price range. If you want to post up some of the outfitters you are looking into it may help in getting a yes or no response. I would for sure stay away from the one mentioned in the bad outfitter thread.
Good luck and don't let people try to bully or scare you away from hunting in B.C.

We are not bullying any hunters, what we are asking for is the respect of other hunters, the same respect and support we would give you if suddenly almost 1/2 of all allotted tags were taken from you. Our fight is not with other hunters it is with the guides and government that made back room deals taking an unprecedented animals away from residents. Most of you live in States that allocate 5-10% 0f wildlife to non residents we are asked to accept 4-8 times that many taken from us. Our intentions to exercise our legal rights and hunt heavily in guide territories will put heavy pressure on the animals you are asked to pay good money to hunt and we are only saying there are better choices as to where to spend your hunting dollars. Resident Priority for everyone on their home turf.

BORN to HUNT
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I hope to spend some weeks in my old haunts in the East Kootenays and am making contact with old friends there to do a major protest, maybe blockade of GOs and foreign hunters soon.

All we need is to tell them to go home and the RCMP will be advised of our legal activities.

We should have started this before so many GO operations became *owned* by rich foreigners, but, no time like the present.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SNAP
I hope to spend some weeks in my old haunts in the East Kootenays and am making contact with old friends there to do a major protest, maybe blockade of GOs and foreign hunters soon.

All we need is to tell them to go home and the RCMP will be advised of our legal activities.

We should have started this before so many GO operations became *owned* by rich foreigners, but, no time like the present.

Keep your Canadian mining companies home, then. They are ruining habitat here that will take centuries to recover. Things work both ways. smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
How, in your opinion, can I, a Canadian, influence ANY legislation, environmental or otherwise, in a foreign country, the USA.

Obviously, I cannot and YOU might be able to,so, it seems that YOU should take action in YOUR country as WE ARE doing here in BC-Canada.

My next issue to spend some time on is the accursed Columbia River Treaty and the current demands of the US for MORE of the water, to pay much LESS in fees and just act, as they always have, as though Canada, is a *colony* of the USA.

Sorry, pal, the *good old days* of US hegemony in North America, are OVER, get it. WE WILL decide and then enforce whatever policies WE choose for OUR hunting-angling and any other issues in OUR country.

However, I wish I COULD help with the !@@$%?##@@!! mining companies, they do the same sh*t here as do the major timber companies, all too often.

FIGHT BACK!!!!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Look at http://www.ramcreek.ca/
The main picture on the moose hunt is mine. PM me with any questions. That's also a picture of me with an elk on the home page brochure. Yeah, they are Shiras there.

Here is another great place to hunt. A bit more money but bigger moose as well. http://monasheeoutfitting.com/
I have not hunted moose there but have bear hunted several times there and have seen many moose. PM me if you want more info.

The owner of Monashee Outfitting, is THE PRESIDENT of the vile GOABC and a leader in the nefarious attempt to grab more BC game from WE who OWN IT for their foreign trophy collectors.

His area is rather difficult to access for res. hunters, however, one of my cousins is going there this year, has in the recent past and protests may well be made at his HQ in a nearby town, or, even at the lodgings of foreign hunters.

WE WILL WIN!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll tell Brian you said hello.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by FoxtonGundogs
Originally Posted by stew

Thanks Noduck.

We are not bullying any hunters, what we are asking for is the respect of other hunters, the same respect and support we would give you if suddenly almost 1/2 of all allotted tags were taken from you. Our fight is not with other hunters it is with the guides and government that made back room deals taking an unprecedented animals away from residents. Most of you live in States that allocate 5-10% 0f wildlife to non residents we are asked to accept 4-8 times that many taken from us. Our intentions to exercise our legal rights and hunt heavily in guide territories will put heavy pressure on the animals you are asked to pay good money to hunt and we are only saying there are better choices as to where to spend your hunting dollars. Resident Priority for everyone on their home turf.

Many of the problems in areas of B.C. are because of the residents and many of the areas are all ready have to much resident pressure. You say your fight is not with hunters but guides and government but yet you say you are going to put heavy pressure on animals. That's a big problem with many residents to worried about who gets to kill what no concern about conservation as you have shown.
Now your side kick SNAP is going to go set up blockades. It has also been mentioned on other sites by others about burning down cabins etc. Ya you guys are a great bunch for wildlife. When you say OUR intentions does this mean the BCWF or are you guys your own little gang.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Be VERY, VERY careful with your comments here as action for defamation by libel can be a REAL bitch and I WILL NOT hesitate to have one of my barrister friends initiate this with you as subject of the complaint.

Even a suggestion that I or any person I associate with would, will or might commit an arson and you WILL face legal sanction, depend on it.

The rest of your invidious, ignorant and ill*mannered diatribe is not factually based and not worth a response.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.