Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I have never seen any air rifles at my range or anywhere so I do not know how loud they are for suburban shooting. I need to find out if its against the law to shoot air rifles in my Northern Va suburban area. My house adjoins a golf course and this is why I am asking. I am primarily looking at the Weihrauch HW95 (or some cheaper models than the HW95) and the RWS Model 34. I am interested in the .22 for shooting. I see some say that the "stated" fps is not the true fps so if the HW95 states up to 755 what deviation from that is considered normal.

I have seen a few crows in my yard and a few cats (probably someone's pet).

So are these truly quiet that I can plink and shoot some varmints?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's common among many airgun manufacturers to publish velocities using ultra lightweight zinc alloy pellets. Using heavier lead alloy pellets results in lower velocities and less sensational advertising. Generally the faster the gun, the louder it is.
This is a good review of the HW95 and the velocities they achieved with different pellet weights.

http://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/ourtakehw95.html

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
valad,

Check VDGIF for the rules, but I believe that air rifles are treated as firearms for the purposes of restrictions on discharge within a certain distance of another residence.

Also, none of those rifles are "quiet". In fact, most are louder than CB Shorts and all are louder than a .22 with a suppressor and subsonic ammo.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't help on the legality issues in your local, but have shot enough pellets to have an idea about sound levels.

Pellet guns aren't silent, and the "magnum" ones have a fairly loud report. That said, pellet guns don't sound like a firearm and hence you're unlikely to have a neighbor think you are firing a gun due to the sound. Now if they see you with a pellet rifle and they are of the easily offended sort, I have no doubt they'd call the cops on you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a new Benjamin marauder in .25 that is surprisingly quiet. It makes less noise than the rws 48 (.177) or a Benjamin trail (.22) that I own.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I have no doubt they'd call the cops on you.

No doubt in this day and age. Seems everyone needs to mind everyone business. Thank god I live where I live.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Valad,

I'm not bad mouthing the HW95 but I think the HW30 might be a better air rifle for your situation. It's certainly more quiet and it has fine accuracy at "backyard" distances. In 177 cal there are a ton of pellets available, the Crossman Prem. HP shoot very well in my HW30 and can be bought at Walmart. It kills crow sized birds easily and is excellent at "training" the cats to stay out of my yard. I try very hard to fly under my neighbors radar so I don't shoot outside in their view nor do I want them asking me what the noise was coming from my back yard.

Anyway, something to think about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or a pneumatic, a pump up. No spring crash noise, variable power and you can get a cheap one at Walmart or Pyramid Air instead of dropping more cash on an airloony's dream gun.

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Thanks all for replying.

hangman,
I saw the HW30 and thought of that but thought since the published vel tends to be overstated the HW30 vel may come in lower than what its listed. This is why I looked at the HW95. I see folks mention 30 yards shooting these air rifles so my guess is HW30 will work also.

I do not know how loud these air guns can be so this is all a coin flip for me. But I definitely have lots of choice.

I read an article posted by an attorney who is a gun enthusiast and it sure is alot of information and I am going to have to go reread it again to make sense of the long-winded report.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
want quiet look at the Benjamin Discovery in 22cal, there quiet and if you put a can on in they get really quiet, no BATF stamp is needed for a air gun can. Velocity up to 900 fps makes for a serious killer on pests. I shoot the Bemjamin Marauder in both 22 and 25 caliber. My buddy has a Discovery and its a lot quieter than my Marauder in 22 cal.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gemby58
want quiet look at the Benjamin Discovery in 22cal, there quiet and if you put a can on in they get really quiet, no BATF stamp is needed for a air gun can. Velocity up to 900 fps makes for a serious killer on pests. I shoot the Bemjamin Marauder in both 22 and 25 caliber. My buddy has a Discovery and its a lot quieter than my Marauder in 22 cal.

There's not BATFE stamp required for any firearm that a can is affixed to; the stamp is for the can itself.

If you're springing for the can already, just run a .22LR and subsonic LR ammo.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 4ager

There's not BATFE stamp required for any firearm that a can is affixed to; the stamp is for the can itself.

I mean for the can to put on a air rifle, cans for a air rifle depends on which one you buy are under $100.00.

http://www.tko22.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I mean for the can to put on a air rifle, cans for a air rifle depends on which one you buy are under $100.00

A suppressor is a suppressor. They require a stamp, and the device itself is what gets the stamp. To go through all that trouble for an air gun is, imho, stupid. Just get the .22LR can, run subsonics, and be done with it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
there called air strippers in the air gun world, they baffle and suppress the sound just like a firearm
suppressor

http://www.tko22.com/

Last edited by gemby58; 03/28/15.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I mean for the can to put on a air rifle, cans for a air rifle depends on which one you buy are under $100.00

A suppressor is a suppressor. They require a stamp, and the device itself is what gets the stamp. To go through all that trouble for an air gun is, imho, stupid. Just get the .22LR can, run subsonics, and be done with it.

And I'm well a wear of that I have a class 3

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I see that the TW95 has the cheek piece on the stock and I'd really like to get an air rifle w/o the cheek piece. I think the TW30 also has the cheek piece.

Looking at the lineup of air rifles at arizona website I see the RWS 34 does not have the cheek piece. (I am a LH shooter but my son is a RH shooter so I plan to alternate between us with this rifle thus do not want a cheek piece). How critical is a cheek piece for an air rifle? And what is the quality of the RWS 34? These 34 are still german made air rifles.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Valad,

The HW30 has cheek rest on both sides and so does the HW50.

The HW95 has cheek rest on the left side for a right handed person.

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
hangman,

Are these cheek rest needed in air rifles? My guess is when I do buy one I can inquire whether this rifle I want has creek rest. This is not said in the rifle description.

What do you think of the RWS 34? These appear not to have the cheek rest and price is a bit lower than the HW line up and also gives more ftps for the 22 cal.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have an HW50S and it does have a slight cheek rest on both sides. I shoot left handed and it fits me very well. If you upgrade to the HW95 Luxus it has a Monte Carlo comb but no cheek rests and is described by Weihrauch as "ambidextrous".

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Whether a cheek rest is "needed" or not, is personal. What is more important is the height of the comb for the type of sights you want to use. I.e., iron vs telescope. Everyone's body shape is different and that also plays a big part in determining how well a particular rifle "fits". I've also found that the length of pull (distance from trigger to butt pad) is important to my rifle fit.
I've also found that the shape of the grip in relation to the trigger is important to me, many of the air rifles seem to made to fit NBA players.

Last edited by hangmancreek; 04/05/15.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.