Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Purchased a "new" condition 3 year old boat from leftover stock in 2014 from a Tracker boat dealer in Texas where we spent this winter. They agreed to store the boat for us until we arrived this past January to winter in Texas on lake lbj.

As part of the deal we agreed to purchase a new 2014 40 hp tiller handle Mercury 4 stroke outboard from this dealer.

Nice outboard that starts good, run good, but now is on its second trip to the dealer for parts. First time was a needle valve in fuel bowl that feeds the injector pump, this time a kinda cheaper plastic part that rides on a trolley rail to control the shifting from F-N-R. We are without the boat this time for over a week now as the dealer awaits the part. Anyone here have any problems with Mercury Outboards? Maybe there is a reason these outboards are 2 grand less than a Honda-Yamaha or Suzuki.

Dealer has been top notch, but this outboard seems to be somewhat cheaply built in a factory in China. Maybe an extended warranty is a good idea?

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought those size Mercury motors weren't built by Mercury, but by Toahatsu or something. I'm not sure where the cut off is but I thought it was 40hp.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only experience is with their older stuff. I'm a Johnson-Evinrude guy, but the older Mercs were darned good motors too. That old stuff just seems to last forever.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have had several Mercury outboards......All have 100 reliable....every manufacture puts out a problem child every once in a while!!!!!!If I were buying a new boat tomorrow!!!! It would have a mercury on the back......Just my two cents!!!! your mileage may vary.....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NathanL
I thought those size Mercury motors weren't built by Mercury, but by Toahatsu or something. I'm not sure where the cut off is but I thought it was 40hp.

I think it everything below 25 hp. I have a 8hp Tohatsu, great little motor and far cheaper than the Mercs

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Old School won't own a Merc. It was a Johnson or Evinrude for me as in 50's/60's Merc had a bad habit of the lower unit falling off if run in salt water.

My 12' Duraboat runs a 15 hp Suzuki.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
18 years with two Mercs - w/o issue. Key is to burn non-oxy fuel and follow normal maintenance procedures. "Sea Foam" is your friend too.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
18 years with two Mercs - w/o issue. Key is to burn non-oxy fuel and follow normal maintenance procedures. "Sea Foam" is your friend too.

No problems with the "running" part(using non-ethanol gasoline) but seems this Chinese built outboard has some plastic parts that can be troublesome. We are leaving the end of the month and might have to get this unit back from the dealer in non operable form, so we can go home. We are storing the rig here in Texas so it might have to sit unrepaired till January 2016. For all I know, this part is unavailable now. The weather turns nice, the fishing picks up and I'm without a boat. Always seems to happen to ya in one way shape or form.

In the owners manual the country of Origin is China town of Suzhou.
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009762.html

I bought new so I wouldn't have these problems. As Hoss Cartwright would say "Dad Burnit"

Last edited by Chainsaw; 03/22/15.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I believe the smaller motors, 25 hp and below were made by Yamaha.
The deal was a trade to sell Mariner motors in Japan.
I ran a 175 efi merc, on a bass boat,for 10 years, only replaced a fuel pump.
Mercury is the only outboard I would own.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Chainsaw,
Sorry for your troubles, but as Hoss might have added, anything mechanical can break - and usually does at the most inopportune time.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It is a Chinese made motor. I think they are still good but you just hve some troubles. It should be good to go this time around. I have a 25 Merc that was still made in USA and for that reason I am keeping it. I never had a problem but did replace a water pump after 15 yrs. Now days I would go for a Evinrude Etech. I would politly ask if they had a loaner even if it was a smaller motor. Should have something used for a loaner.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My 2005 15hp was made by Yamaha. Leave ethanol fuel out and it's had no problems.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One of my very best friends owns a dealership and sells quite a few etec, merc and Yamaha's.

They all have those little issues.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Your outboard uses a powerhead from Yamaha. Other parts of the motor may be Yamaha as well. If you compare the Yamaha and Mercury 4 stroke 40hp engines at the links below, you'll see they have the exact same engine displacement.

Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke Outboard

Mercury 40hp 4 stroke Outboard

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've owned 8 Mercs in 42 years, a 4.5, 2-9.9 Pro Kickers, a 35, 2-50's, a 65, and a 150.

All in all I'd rate them a B+.
I think most big name outboards are very good, but if I were to buy another, it would be a Merc. before anything else.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Best motors I ever had were yamaha.

That said, i'd buy a honda right now, if it was a new one and I had the cash...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by walt501
Your outboard uses a powerhead from Yamaha. Other parts of the motor may be Yamaha as well. If you compare the Yamaha and Mercury 4 stroke 40hp engines at the links below, you'll see they have the exact same engine displacement.

Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke Outboard

rost, I'll read the websites you posted. So are the Yamaha outboards made in China also? Or are the parts shipped to the Mercury Suzhou China plant for assembly from the Yamaha factory?

Mercury 40hp 4 stroke Outboard

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ran a 90HP Merc on the flats boat for 7 years until selling last year. Prior to owning that boat, had a Yamaha, but never had a problem with that Merc motor. Couple things mentioned above are very good preventive measures. Seafoam and STA-BIL are your friends. Run ethanol free gas as much as possible. If there's one candidate that'll screw with an outboard, that ethanol is it. Stay away from it as much as possible, if you can. I also installed an inline fuel filter that mounted right on the transom. Twist the petcock, drain the bad stuff, and bingo.. back in business.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
The larger motors 150 and up are still made in WI

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

386 members (160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,788
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.