Print Thread
Hop To
S
Solheim Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Just looking for a basic pack for over night or weekend. I use a duffle bag now and would like to go with a back pack something good that will not break the back

thank you

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd think any backpack would be a vast improvement over a duffle. If you state your specific requirements you'll likely get specific recommedations. How much weight are you planning on carrying? Are you just backpacking or hunting and will need to pack out game? How much is breaking the bank? Without knowing this it's hard to reccommend specific packs. That being said USMC IBLE is cheap enough, rugged, and far supperior to a duffle. I'm a fan of the old Dana Design packs can be had on online auctions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A second on the ILBE. Ditch the fuel line zipper tugs to shave a few ounces.

Even the MOLLE II packs are pretty decent and go cheap in the UCP pattern. Prefer the new foliage/tan frame, but the black ones(not the 1st gen peg and socket with separate belt deal) that came with woodland camo aren't bad).

Might be worth looking at some Kelty packs too since they often sell fairly cheap.

In my experience, going with a quality used pack is much better than a not so high quality new pack. Just make sure it doesn't have the nylon delaminating from heat or chemical exposure, padded components not crushed, zips and buckles working or easy to repair, and be picky on any seam repairs.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Solheim:

Since you have been using a duffel, does that mean that you have been car camping? Some people call smaller packs, used for day hiking, backpacks. We call that a daypack.

The word "backpacking" generally infers that you intend to carry your camp in a pack on your back and setup your camp when you arrive at your destination. Is that what you mean when you inquire about a backpack? Backpack hunting generally infers that you intend to hunt out of a remote camp and that you got to that camp by backpacking.

I agree with sherp and McKinney. It's difficult to make recommendations not knowing anything about how you intend to use the pack. Do you intend to use the pack primarily for day hiking? Do you intend to do recreational backpacking in the summer? Do you intend to engage in backpack hunting? Do you intend to use the pack in the winter? Do you anticipate using the pack to haul out game meat?

The cheaper your gear is, the tougher you have to be. Are you young and strong?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Ilbe or old Dana alpine or terraplane

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I use a Mountainsmith Haze. It weighs 2 lbs and priced just over $100. It's a great pack, well made with good material, very comfortable and it's in neutral grey color, not those flashy hippy colors that so many packs come in these days.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's the capacity (volume) of that pack?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For just an occasional overnighter, you can find about any kind of used packs. Check Craigslist to start with.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Solheim
Just looking for a basic pack for over night or weekend. I use a duffle bag now and would like to go with a back pack something good that will not break the back

thank you

Will the pack be used for hunting, as in carrying out heavy loads of meat?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vek
Ilbe or old Dana alpine or terraplane

Yup. Pre K-2's will run a bit high, but the Post K-2's are a bargain.

Pre K-2 Terraplane is the shizza...

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I picked up a used ILBE last year for $89 from Midway.

My point of reference was a Large ALICE. The contrast was huge, kind of like shifting from a covered wagon to an F-250.

S
Solheim Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
OK I would say never camping in the winter, minimum use for hunting but it would be nice to have the option for packing out game,most of the use would be a day pack/over night pack I like the ILBE pack thanks for all the input.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like osprey packs, they fit me well and are light, well thought out, and the warranty is forever. I don't have to carry out a deer, so take that into consideration. They are also fairly spendy.

You really need two packs, unless you are willing to carry a large pack that is nearly empty while day packing. If you want a cheap back, the ILBE packs are supposed to be good (designed by Arcteryx I believe) and cheap. I have thought about buying one as a loaner/spare but I never got around to it.

I just broke down and bought an osprey day pack after using various cheaper daypacks. I haven't had the chance to use it, but I am looking forward to it after using 'book bag' type packs for years.

S
Solheim Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Does the ILBE break down as in could it be used as a smaller day pack and then put together as a large over night camping pack. I have been researching some but I'm still not sure if it could be used this way.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The ILBE is a great general purpose pack. It excels at bulky and heavy loads. It does not break down into a smaller pack. It is also very good for carrying a rifle and tripod strapped to the sides, sticking out of the side bottom pouches. IMO, if you want a pack that carries weight as well as an ILBE, but want it to weigh 3 lbs less, you need to spend $400. If 3 lbs meant that much to me, I should push my gut away from the french fries ...

That said, with the very generous requirements given by the OP, craiglist may be the way to go. There are a lot of solid packs there if you live in a semi-large city, or near one. Another good source is Goodwill. My go-to pack for general purpose stuff, including an overnight or two, is a Kelty Coyote scammed from Goodwill, new with tags, for about $10. Just got a North Face Blue Kazoo down bag in perfect condition for $6. Paid $3 each for a pair of Ortleib panniers, new with REI paperwork still inside. Sold them on eBay for $140. I figure someone got pissed off at their boyfriend/hubby and chucked his stuff at Goodwill ... You can get good stuff there if you work at it. If you require matching camo patterns, Goodwill isn't the place to hunt.

So my answer to the OP is the used market or an ILBE. If you are strong enough to fill up an ILBE with heavy stuff and still walk at all, you are a stud.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.