Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman
Originally Posted by Daveman
My daughter, who has been shooting with me for many of her 23 years, is ready for her first defensive handgun. It will be kept in her apartment and her car, and she will likely not carry concealed. I'm leaning towards a revolver, due to its simplicity in a high-stress situation, and giving serious thought to the Ruger LCR in .38. She shoots well in double action mode, so the trigger squeeze of a revolver would not be an issue. Thoughts?

You might want to check your state laws as i believe if she doesn't have a CCW she'll have to keep it unloaded and in the truck of her car (where it won't do her any good) unless she wants to risk a felony should she get pulled over and searched.
Here in Michigan, even if you follow the law and have it in a case, out of reach, and ammo separate, you'd better be on your way hunting, to a range, to a smith, or on your way home from the previously mentioned places!

I'm betting Missouri has better gun laws than Michigan. I know TX has reciprocal CHL agreements with Missouri.

Here in TX, if your over 21 and NOT a Felon, it's legal to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle without having a CHL. Handgun still has to be concealed, though.

NRA.org has a good posting of handgun laws for all 50 states on their web sight.

Missouri is the same as Texas...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've introduced 4-5 women to shooting. Just guide them with a light touch, and explain the pros & cons of different guns. A range that rents is a big plus to helping her choose. Don't over-rule her unless she picks something unreliable or unreasonable for her.

Then get her formal training with a certified instructor on defensive use of a handgun.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruger single/security six or a Smith m10 makes a great budget option. Many of the striker fired poly guns in commander size are also great options. Google "cornered cat" for some slide racking tips from the fairer sex.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife has problems with slides so those were out from the start. In addition she doesn’t deal well with recoil. What we ended up with as a Ruger SP101 in .327 Fed with low recoil loads for the house and a Ruger LCR .38 SPL +P with Hornady low recoil loads for carry.

If doing it over I’d make the same choices unless I could find a good, used, lightweight S&W .38 for her carry

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Take her to the store with you and let her pick out the one that she wants and is comfortable with (grip, trigger pull, etc).

This is the way to play it. It can be very helpful to go to a range that has numerous pistols for rent.

I am not a Glock fan for my personal use (grip angle) but a G19 Gen 4 was what first came to mind when I read this thread.

RS

Women may surprise you if you let them pick their own. My wife's first pistol was a 4" S&W Model 28. A couple of years ago, both my wife and daughter picked S&W M&P9 compacts for carry without any input from each other or me.

Given her own choice, my wife simply loves her M&P15 with a red dot and would use it for everything, including deer hunting, if I allowed it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
My wifes favorite is a G17 with 124+ gold dots. I started her with a .22 kit on it, then light reloads, ball ammo and now up to +p. She is very comfortable with it and likes the ability to hang a light on it for the house.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If she "enjoys" shooting and is willing to "train" I would recommend a semi auto of her liking over a revolver?

The only reason I would recommend a revolver is if she has little or no experience with a semi auto and she grew up on a revolver than by all means go with the revolver.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
My wife has problems with slides so those were out from the start. In addition she doesn’t deal well with recoil. What we ended up with as a Ruger SP101 in .327 Fed with low recoil loads for the house

Excellent Choice! If you can find one at a decent price, grab it! I wish Ruger would make another run of 3" SP-101's in .327 Fed. They would sell a ton of them. On another note' for a house gun, the Ruger Single Seven in .327 Fed might not be a bad idea, either, if you don't mind a Single Action. JMO, though, for whatever it's worth.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Good point on slide manipulations, that was something we had to steer around. She really liked the Kahr series for grip but then she tried to manipulate the slide and the springs were just to heavy. Going with a full size 9mm got the springs we were looking for and the problem was solved. She almost when M&P but went with Glock since that is what I am issued.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
610 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.