Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My daughter, who has been shooting with me for many of her 23 years, is ready for her first defensive handgun. It will be kept in her apartment and her car, and she will likely not carry concealed. I'm leaning towards a revolver, due to its simplicity in a high-stress situation, and giving serious thought to the Ruger LCR in .38. She shoots well in double action mode, so the trigger squeeze of a revolver would not be an issue. Thoughts?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Take her to the store with you and let her pick out the one that she wants and is comfortable with (grip, trigger pull, etc).

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If she never plans to carry, I would opt for a 4" GP-100, unless the LCR fits her hands better. A little extra weight may not be a bad thing. My wife hates shooting the little pistols, but loves 1911's and SA Ruger's.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Take her to the store with you and let her pick out the one that she wants and is comfortable with (grip, trigger pull, etc).

This is the way to play it. It can be very helpful to go to a range that has numerous pistols for rent.

I am not a Glock fan for my personal use (grip angle) but a G19 Gen 4 was what first came to mind when I read this thread.

RS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, a range that rents guns is the way to pick a pistol. My wife wanted a Ruger LCP, until she tried to shoot it. Ended up with an LC380.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hard to beat a good Smith 38 Spl with the 158 gr cast SWC and around 6 gr of HS-6

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
My wife hates shooting the little pistols, but loves 1911's and SA Ruger's.

As does mine.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the Ruger LCR's, but some times it's nice having the external hammer on a DA revolver - like the Ruger LCR-X.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My wife prefers a 3" J frame. She tried the snubbies, no go.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
If she never plans to carry, I would opt for a 4" GP-100, unless the LCR fits her hands better. A little extra weight may not be a bad thing. My wife hates shooting the little pistols, but loves 1911's and SA Ruger's.

There's also the Talo/Wiley Clapp edition with a 3" barrel. I loved my GP100, and the 3" barreled version has me interested

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bea175
Hard to beat a good Smith 38 Spl with the 158 gr cast SWC and around 6 gr of HS-6

Yep. I download SWCs for my wife for practice. She likes snubbies, but wants a full length grip (not with her pinky floating). She likes the looks of black finish S&W 442 and pink Hogues.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Daveman
My daughter, who has been shooting with me for many of her 23 years, is ready for her first defensive handgun. It will be kept in her apartment and her car, and she will likely not carry concealed. I'm leaning towards a revolver, due to its simplicity in a high-stress situation, and giving serious thought to the Ruger LCR in .38. She shoots well in double action mode, so the trigger squeeze of a revolver would not be an issue. Thoughts?

You might want to check your state laws as i believe if she doesn't have a CCW she'll have to keep it unloaded and in the truck of her car (where it won't do her any good) unless she wants to risk a felony should she get pulled over and searched.
Here in Michigan, even if you follow the law and have it in a case, out of reach, and ammo separate, you'd better be on your way hunting, to a range, to a smith, or on your way home from the previously mentioned places!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes let her decide, doubt you would let someone pick your pistol. My wife picked a Model 60 3". It worked best for what she wanted. Likes the autos, but due to wrist surgery can not rack the slides. Rental guns and the big box stores have lots to look at and try.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

^^^This^^^ if it fits her small hands well! she is a lot more likely to practice with it.

Personally, I always suggest revolvers for new lady shooters.
No jams, no safety's, and no mags to keep up with. Hard to beat a 3" J-Frame if she doesn't plan to carry it on her person, or even a 4" K-frame. Also if you find a deal on one, the old Ruger Security Six or Speed Six make great house guns and have small grips that usually fit women well.

Buy her some target Wadcutters for practice and load it up with Speer Gold Dots for defense.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman

You might want to check your state laws as i believe if she doesn't have a CCW she'll have to keep it unloaded and in the truck of her car (where it won't do her any good) unless she wants to risk a felony should she get pulled over and searched.
Here in Michigan, even if you follow the law and have it in a case, out of reach, and ammo separate, you'd better be on your way hunting, to a range, to a smith, or on your way home from the previously mentioned places!

I'm betting Missouri has better gun laws than Michigan. I know TX has reciprocal CHL agreements with Missouri.

Here in TX, if your over 21 and NOT a Felon, it's legal to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle without having a CHL. Handgun still has to be concealed, though.

NRA.org has a good posting of handgun laws for all 50 states on their web sight.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make sure she has the hand strength to rack the slide of any auto's she looks at/considers!

The Ruger sounds like a nice option though.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RipSnort

This is the way to play it. It can be very helpful to go to a range that has numerous pistols for rent.

This.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman

Michigan sucks. She ain't there.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Good news here in Missouri - anyone 21 or over can carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle, so long as they are not a felon. They cannot carry onto school property, but most most places are not restricted.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Same here in TX

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.