Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've never had a scope go out on me and this includes 300 WM's and all my scopes have been Leupolds. I used to use Buehler mounts and rings and now use DNZ. My point being that maybe how the scope is mounted might have something with it going bad. I also use a lead sled as I now have to shoot left hand rifles after losing the vision in my right eye and have experienced no problems using it. I might add, after 50 years of Gunsmithing I've never had a bad experience with a Leupold.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by mathman
I've seen more than one stock damaged at the wrist when shot on lead sleds.

I haven't seen a satisfactory explanation of how lead sleds damage scopes. The "physics" I've come across in such conversations, e.g. "the recoil has to go somewhere," hasn't cut the mustard.

Please note I'm not saying anything about an observed increased frequency of scope failure correlating with lead sled use.

If it will break the stock what do you think it will do to the scope.

Your comment is not an explanation of how a scope gets damaged..

It's straightforward to explain how a stock is damaged.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3x9 SWFA Super Sniper~

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've handled a NULA in 300 Weatherby. That ought to be a scope testing platform. grin
Best Scope tester I ever seen was a 7 lb. 20" barreled .378 wm . I did not shoot it or would I , they are Ignorant in a regular weight gun. Fast and heavy recoil combined in a light tidy package.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I wont even let a lead sled on my range, not after I seen what can happen. You can bring it, but it wont leave your car, if it does your and your lead sled can leave my property.

Not trying to be a smart allack; but, why gemby? Is there some danger to others around? I've never heard of any such thing; but, I guess there's always a first.

Because there are people out there that if they get hurt on your property they turn around and sue you. I was sued once for some dick weed that fell out of his tree stand because he fell asleep. He almost hung him self with his safety strap, he hung the with the strap around his underarm for two days. The one shooter that almost knocked himself after using a lead sled sold that rifle. BTW I mounted a Nightforce NXS on the 338-416 that he sold me cheap. Till this day the scope haven't came off the gun because I shoot it off my shoulder and not a lead sled. I can say for sure if I would shoot it with a lead sled the scope would be coming off the rifle.

Last edited by gemby58; 03/23/15.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've seen more than one stock damaged at the wrist when shot on lead sleds.

I haven't seen a satisfactory explanation of how lead sleds damage scopes. The "physics" I've come across in such conversations, e.g. "the recoil has to go somewhere," hasn't cut the mustard.

Please note I'm not saying anything about an observed increased frequency of scope failure correlating with lead sled use.

If it will break the stock what do you think it will do to the scope.

Your comment is not an explanation of how a scope gets damaged..

It's straightforward to explain how a stock is damaged.

Why do scopes get damage when fired off a springer air gun?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Because there are people out there that if they get hurt on your property they turn around and sue you.

In all seriousness, as true as that statement may be, how have people been hurting themselves with lead sleds? This question isn't just directed at gemby58. If there is such harm coming from the use of lead sleds I would like to know what type of harm it is and how to prevent it. Especially if people are afraid of being sued for allowing other people to use them on one's own property.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 03/23/15.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 378's have killed 3 Leupies 2 of which were Mark 4's

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I wont even let a lead sled on my range, not after I seen what can happen. You can bring it, but it wont leave your car, if it does your and your lead sled can leave my property.

Not trying to be a smart allack; but, why gemby? Is there some danger to others around? I've never heard of any such thing; but, I guess there's always a first.

Everything seems hinged on speed, acceleration, deceleration forces. The Lead Sled stops recoil in a MUCH sorter space than ones shoulder. That greatly increases deceleration.

Even airguns with their spring action can damage scopes. Something about the way the spring jerks the scope around.

I got a Lead Sled years back, but haven't used it in the past 5 yrs. or so. If anyone needs one, let me know... laugh

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Because there are people out there that if they get hurt on your property they turn around and sue you.

In all seriousness, as true as that statement may be, how have people been hurting themselves with lead sleds? This question isn't just directed at gemby58. If there is such harm coming from the use of lead sleds I would like to know what type of harm it is and how to prevent it. Especially if people are afraid of being sued for allowing other people to use them on one's own property.

I'm not afraid to get sued, been there done that. I'm telling them if they want to use my range then they won't use them. They don't like my rules they can go to a public range or gun club. Good luck for the to find a public range or gun club where thy can shoot out to 1500 yards off concrete benchs with a roof over it

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well this has turned into the type of dance one has with the self satisfying philosopher from Alaska. I'm guessing you're not going to tell me what type of harm to people comes from these things other than possibly damaging their own property. I am a firm believer in private property rights and you can even have a "nobody comes on my range without a pink hat rule" for all I care. Heck, I will support you in both. I was just asking, what I thought was, a simple question. I already know, from earlier on in the thread, that you won't allow them on your range. Sorry to have bothered you with my simple inquiry.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I'm not sure if I ever said the lead sled hurts anyone except for this one guy that almost ate his scope. However I did say that it plays hell on the scopes, mounts and stocks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's entirely possible I made an incorrect assumption then, my bad. So it is your position that you won't let your "friends" use theirs on your range because you just don't like them and won't use them so you feel they shouldn't also. Is that correct? Sorry if I made a false assumption about your precluding them because somehow they could harm someone. It never occurred to me that you wouldn't allow someone else to use the equipment they see fit.

And, I hope if you'll look back between our posts you can see how I was lead to that false assumption. Instead of answering my question directly you did the round about explanation of people suing you because of their own stupid acts, etc., etc.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have my own private range in my back yard.I have seen heavy caliber rifles with big scopes on them Shear Mounts,break reticles,crack stocks.When you have 50 lbs of momentum and you dead stop it,something will eventually give.What happens when you are in a car and dead stop it???

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Boy oh boy it gets frustrating with .300 mags eating scopes. Was just shooting my Tikka .300 winny. This rifle is a consistant shooter. Usually puts 5 into.7" to 1" with hunting loads. (180 BT or TTSX with either of the 4831's)

Shooting at 200 yards which is my zero. 2 hit right on zero couldn't see the third and thought went into another hole. Fired another and noticed a hole low left about a foot low. One more shot was low and left into the dirt.

Checked all the mounts, action screws. All good. I guess this one is going to make the trip to Leupold again. It is a VX 3, 3.5X10 CDS. It has lasted about 75 rounds.
2nd time back to Leupold.

Lefty C

Getting back on track on leftycarbon thread. Buy a Nightforce for your 300 winny and have piece of mind if its going to change POI. I know there costly but what good is a scope if you have to send it back to be fixed every 75 rounds.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I shoot Leupolds on some heavy kickers. Had a VXII go south several years ago, but it's held up since being returned.

I would tell Leupold that you have lost confidence in this scope and would like a new replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you a brand new scope.

I have never had a repaired Leupold go the distance for me. One of the main reasons I don't use them on but one rifle.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
FWIW I mounted older conquest 3.5X10 and put 5 into 3/4" & then used the Mill dots to shoot out to 500. Back to 100 and still zero'd. So we know it wasn't the rifle.

Leupie is making the trip west right now.

Lefty C

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I got about 1k rounds with a 300 WSM and a 3.5-10x44 Conquest before it went tips up. Another few hundred since and it is fine.

I have about 500 rounds on another 300 WSM(7.5lb scoped) using a 6x42 Leupold, zero issues. Had a 2.5-8x36 on it for 400-500 rounds before that and didn't have any trouble with it either.

FWIW, non-turret scopes and obviously not 300 Uber mags.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
With concern about a scope giving up, one could always have a couple, mounted in QD rings and pre sighted. If one bites the dust, mount the other.

One headed back for CS, the other on the gun.

DF

Amazing how far people will go to avoid just buying a scope that works....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a Vari X-III Tactical on my 300WM with 200gr H1000 full loads and no issues. No saying it wont eventually but with the 200-rounds a year, not worried. If I were using it as a target rifle I might be.

Good Shooting!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,271
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.