Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I decided to give a ballistic reticle try after helping the brother pick one out. After years of 6x or bust I went with a VX3 B and C. Was beginning to think I would never get a chance to ring it out as have only 100 yd target so far - 200 is now in place but no chance at it yet. All deer, hogs and varmint have been inside 100 yds with it.

Last weekend saw a hog walking a large field and after dividing the distances into stages determined 400 yds ought to be close. Barely a breeze but with only a hastily found finger width branch for any sort of rest I zoomed to full power (I always have it near minimum) as hog walked in to view. Had third hash level with top of head very quickly as time was very tight and window very small. Only one step and snout was at vertical and I fired the 260. I saw dirt fly what looked like just below its head and was saying out loud to self - Wow that was close when to my amazement saw him tip over stiff legged deader n' door nail...whatever the hell that is.

Big boar. Discovered exit at base of off side ear. I was friggin stunned but could not help a short Mick Jagger strut.

I admit luck in so much as having recently shot the rifle and knowing its zero. Turns out I was dead on my range- a bit more luck. May not believe me but I paced off exactly 400 steps- which made me laugh. Was thankful for a nice light trigger.

Stars were aligned. I even shot my pistol like a champ out there. Wife who never comes out- did, and shot hers like a pro. Was just crazy and so much fun. 3 year old grandkid with me holding the 10/22- just epic.

Hope I am not sounding cocky. In truth part of me thinks I should sell all my guns, claim victory and never shoot again. laugh If I can ever have another day like that I will truly be blessed- as if I wasn't already.

Point in telling mostly- if you want a ballistic reticle the B and C seems to work pretty damn well as advertised.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have several B&C reticles... I love them.

I use Istrelok on my phone and load my handload data into it. That tells me what true ballistics are in actual conditions.

I took a whitetail at 350 yds through the heart with my 7mm Mag. I can't ask for more than that.

It seems like ballistic reticles are quickly than "dialing in" in the pressure of the hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been thinking about trying one of these myself.
Any online websites for this hold over reticle
like Zeiss has for their Z600,Z800,Z1000 hold over ret`s?
Where you can input your caliber,fps,bullet weight etc.?

Molan Labe
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
AMRA try this Leupold reticle info

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

Molan Labe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two of the B&C reticles, one of the scopes also has a M1 turret. Best of both worlds.

As long as you know your load and what true distance actually intersects the stadia lines, you can really reach and touch things. It's fast and works very well. Steve Timm did the design work on it for Luepold, though he's never given credit for it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Hope I am not sounding cocky. In truth part of me thinks I should sell all my guns, claim victory and never shoot again. laugh If I can ever have another day like that I will truly be blessed- as if I wasn't already.

It sure is fun when you get days like that. I had a day last summer that I was shooting remarkably well from prone and sitting with a couple .30-06 rifles that I had brought to the range. It was the kind of day that everything was going well. It was capped off by my last group of the day which I shot offhand at 100 yards. That one measured 1.045". I'm not saying I can do it twice (even in this lifetime) but it did happen and it sure was fun to see. Was it a fluke? Sure it was. I'm a good offhand shot but not that good!

As for the topic of B&C reticles, I'm a big fan. I've been using them for about 7 years and they sure do make longer range hits much more manageable. Deer, coyotes and varmints are nicely smacked at extended ranges with the B&C.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I droped mine at 500 using a 22lr and iron sights.

Just sayin'.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Eric - the grill of a Prius hardly constitutes iron sights !

I talked to Dad and he was more stoked than I was and man is he ever chomping at the bit to come out. Thinking opening turkey weekend in two weeks. Can't wait. I am going to do all I can to get him a hog.

Fraser- enjoy those golden days. It just shows how good you ( ok -we) really are buddy. Those other days are the flukes. laugh Nazdrovia

. Confucius
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I always wished the B&C had one extra line, just if you wanted to reach out there. When I found the BRH from Swaro, it just about fit the bill. Not as bold as the B&C, so might not work for some who shoot around dusk/dark, but still a very good reticle that is similar to the B&C

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
I always wished the B&C had one extra line, just if you wanted to reach out there. When I found the BRH from Swaro, it just about fit the bill. Not as bold as the B&C, so might not work for some who shoot around dusk/dark, but still a very good reticle that is similar to the B&C

I totally agree, the 500 yard mark is pretty ambiguous. I'd love to see a couple really thin crossbars with 10 mph tick marks corresponding to roughly 500, 600 and possibly 700, in addition to the current heavier marks. A B&C with a Varmint Hunter's reticle "extension" so to speak.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or use one of the calibers Leupold lists for the B&C reticle
with a 300 yard zero you could shoot to 600 yard.

Molan Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.