Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up this rifle last night thinking it was a good looking rig with a trusted name in rimfires. But, I really do not know much about it. It is a very simple rifle with a basic trigger and nice wood stock. It came with a hooded front sight and folding leaf rear sight, I added the scope. I would grade it at 90-95%, used very little. I guess my real questions are: How much of this rifle is Anschutz and how much is Savage? Is it a decent rifle? Anyone have experience with these? What is it worth? (I'll tell you what I paid a little later). Thanks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
It's all anschutz. Savage was just the importer for a spell. Nice rifle, hope it shoots well for you. I have a weatherbee XX11 which is an anschutz 64 action same as yours. I'm very happy with it and I suspect you will be as well.

Last edited by Certifiable; 03/24/15.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So that is the 64 action? I am not very knowledgeable about Anschutz. Thanks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I think they are their model 2000 action, same as the model 10 and 12 Anschutz.

That's a great looking stock, a real bonus!

Last edited by JeffG; 03/24/15.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That should be an excellent shooter, but of course even the lowly 22's can be extremely ammo specific. I'd put value at 4 to $500 if the barrel was pristine. I have an Anschutz, but I'm still envious. The only thing I'd do is try to find or build a magazine that was flush with the stock. I'd not carry something with a mag like that for an extended period.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/24/15.

1Minute
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by centershot
So that is the 64 action? I am not very knowledgeable about Anschutz. Thanks.

Correct, it's the "lesser" of the two styles they make, with the 54 being the top of the line. The stamp in your barrel indicates yours was manufactured in 1972. A very nice gun and im thinking you got it at a pretty good price!?

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
$425 - Barrel is excellent overall condition is very good, Price was not a great buy but I've been wanting a nice .22 for a long time and did not want to miss out on it. I'd love to find a flush fitting mag - are they still available? Thanks.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's a 64 action. Definitely invest in good target ammo. My 64 shoots 2" with most HV loads and 1/4" with good Eley.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hopefully someday ammo options will be available. Right now I buy what I can get, when I can get it!

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
At 425 it woulda went home with me also! If you check killough and champion shooter supply they most always have some upper end eley in stock. Pricy but the difference in accuracy over bulk stuff is tremendous..

She's gone shootin..
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$425 - Barrel is excellent overall condition is very good, Price was not a great buy but I've been wanting a nice .22 for a long time and did not want to miss out on it. I'd love to find a flush fitting mag - are they still available? Thanks.

Brownells sells 5-round magazines. Can't remember their price, but they are cheap when compared to Annie mags. $10-12 vs. $40.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't help at all on the magazines. Just that I refuse to carry anything that is not flush. While mine has a magazine, I strictly load and shoot single shot in the squirrel fields. I don't like snapping the firing pin on empty rimfires, and my mind can't do the calculus needed to count rounds exiting the magazine.

Any comment on the trigger. My Anschutz has about a 3/4 ounce two-stage that is the cat's ass. You did an excellent score there.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/24/15.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do you know what model number the mags are? That sounds a lot better than $60. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you know what model number the mags are? That sounds a lot better than $60. Thanks.

I'm 99% sure they were from this page. Ordered several of them and they all worked in my XXII w/o modification. Sold my XXII, but kept a couple of these mags b/c I was told they also work in the Cooper 57M. I hope to own one in a year or two. Time will tell.

Order one and try it .... if it works, order 4-5 more.

Mfr Part: SA65142

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/...85-416-982-22lr-magazines-prod72216.aspx

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I found one on ebay that included the model number of my gun so I bought it. Hopefully it will work.

Coopers are beautiful. The Scheels store in Salt Lake had a nice display of them.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Little update - Finally had a nice day with no wind and go to shoot a bit. Most 50 yard groups were about the size of a quarter with 4 in a dime and one to mess up a good group. I tried several brands of ammo with about the same results. All High Velocity hunting type ammo mostly hollow points. This group was one of the better ones shot with cheapo Rem. Thunderbolts. The Thunderbolts consistently produced some of the best groups.
The trigger needs some work, the creep is too much for any serious target work but I did find a youtube video on how to adjust the trigger.
I need to decide on a scope for this little rig. I currently have a Nikon Prostaff Target scope on it but it is awfully big for the gun. Thinking a Leupold 2-7 Rimfire scope would be appropriate.
I think that with a little trigger work this could be a very fun and accurate little rifle.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by centershot; 03/26/15.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Your a lucky man if your Annie likes thunderbolts! Don't know what you want to spend but you owe it to yourself and your rifle to at least try some better quality ammo. Don't have to get crazy but Norma TAC match, eley target, wolf...are all reasonably priced and will net you some improved groups I'd wager..

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Next time I see some I'll get a box or two. Any .22lr ammo has been very scarce for the last few years. I tried some MiniMags they shot about 1 1/2", Fed Bulk HP's shot inside an inch with 4 in about 1/2" and one that opened the group up. Win 333 bulk shot about an inch also. The T.Bolts were consistently the best often 3 touching and 1 or two just out to make groups around 3/4". Makes me think target ammo may shoot pretty well out of it.

I just tweaked the trigger to eliminate the creep - wow it feels nice now. Breaks clean at 2 3/4# - can't wait to get back out and see what she can do.

I really need to break down and get a nice scope. Thinking hard about a 3-9x33AO Leupold - would make for a sweet .22!

Last edited by centershot; 03/26/15.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Little update - Finally had a nice day with no wind and go to shoot a bit. Most 50 yard groups were about the size of a quarter with 4 in a dime and one to mess up a good group. I tried several brands of ammo with about the same results. All High Velocity hunting type ammo mostly hollow points. This group was one of the better ones shot with cheapo Rem. Thunderbolts. The Thunderbolts consistently produced some of the best groups.
The trigger needs some work, the creep is too much for any serious target work but I did find a youtube video on how to adjust the trigger.
I need to decide on a scope for this little rig. I currently have a Nikon Prostaff Target scope on it but it is awfully big for the gun. Thinking a Leupold 2-7 Rimfire scope would be appropriate.
I think that with a little trigger work this could be a very fun and accurate little rifle.
[Linked Image]

My 1416 shoots groups like that at 50 yards with HV ammo. Here is a 5 shot group from 50 yards with Wolf MT. This is a good one but all good target ammo groups are very similar. Ammo really makes a difference with my Annie. I was aiming at the corner of the 7
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is excellent - minute of bug on that group!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.