-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Be VERY careful thinning cottonwoods unless you thin ALL of them... They like to fall down on cabins and removing just some leaves the remaining trees more open to the wind and far more likely to blow down...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Do any private residences up there use permafrost cooling tubes?

[Linked Image]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I've only seen them on larger buildings. Hydraulic jacks are handy for small structures. (And the radiators only help minimize problems anyway; things still shift.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
tag

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Whiptail

[Linked Image]

What mile is that?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I opened the picture in it's original location and you can zoom in. As best as I can tell the yellow sign says little globe creek and I think the number 420. So if that's the case, I think it's somewhere around Fairbanks.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's off the Elliot Highway north of Fairbanks.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Search on google "Conex Cabins" then click on images !

lots of great ideas for a shipping container cabin

I have property near the Deshka Landing and may go with something like this ....

http://weburbanist.com/2009/12/01/c...-home/21-holyoke-family-container-cabin/

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The caveat with conex cabins is by the time you add the structure to support the roof (conex roofs cannot support much snowload) add structure for insulating the walls etc, you've essentially built a cabin around the conex.

But something like this might be worth considering

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 458 Lott; 03/31/15.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Crossfireoops North!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that pic to me looks to be taken facing north

lots of areas look the same, but it looks like my old sheep training run where the pipeline crosses Goldstream creek.

as to "do any folks use pipeline methods for private residences?"

on the south side of farmers loop in fbks, there's a house built upon that technology.

old pard of mine did it, he retired from pipeline work and headed south as many have done

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Yup, That just about sez it all

Last edited by nitrosonic; 03/31/15.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
That's off the Elliot Highway north of Fairbanks.

oops seems my amigo had already pretty well identified that spot blush

it doesn't look like much, but with 90# on your back, it's a ball buster at the bottom cry

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It was suggested to me by the previous owner to use railroad ties for our cabin foundation. That's what he uses on his current lot and he's much lower and wetter than what we are.

I'm also building a shop by our house and will probably use them for the foundation unless I decide to go with concrete.

Thoughts?

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ties or treated timbers is what I'm familiar with in permafrost country. The new school, built 6-7 years ago, 200-300 feet in length, sitting on high-pressure ammonia-filled columns set 25 feet into terra-frost, had shifted by 2-3 inches in the first year. If you have permafrost, pads are the best way….and insulate the building from the ground the best you can.

Oh, another anecdote: our school got a nice new welding shop. It was built on an old runway which was built up off the tundra a good 6-8 feet and had been in place for better than 30 years. A more stable piece of ground one could not find in that country given that it had been hammered by thousands of planes landing. Trenches were dug in that hard pack for footed concrete walls, insulation was laid and in-floor heat loops were installed before a concrete floor was poured. It's a small building, around 1000 sq ft. In the second year of heat in the floor, the floor receded enough so that first, the air compressor hose would slide under an interior wall, a couple months later a 2x4 would slide under (laid flat), and by the beginning of the third year, that same 2x4 would fit under that wall on edge. At least the wall had some integrity. smile A building you can jack as needed is a smart way way to build. Pads and beams/glue lams are not a bad foundation on questionable ground.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't think permafrost is going to be an issue since this is on the side of a ridge and is not a wet property.

The folks we bought this property from built there's on flat ground and they used railroad ties for their foundation. He has only had 1 issue with 1 corner of his cabin shifting so it seems that this might be the way to go where we will be building.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Brother_Bill
Originally Posted by kroo88
Technometalpost.com

Neighbor down here is an installer. His posts are the foundation under the addition we're currently doing. The machine is about the same size as a small Bobcat. It has a short boom and drills helical posts into the ground until reaching a gauged pressure. He welds on a bracket and you build from there.

Thanks for that link. I've been kicking around options for our place up in Caribou Hills...

Had TMP do 12 pilings for me last month. I'm getting started on then new cabin right now. So far, I'm pretty impressed with these helical piles. Dave did a great job...

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I built a 16x20 cabin up the Little Noatak River back in 04 and it has done well. I jacked and leveled it as needed normally every 2 years. It has been left alone for the pass few years and this was the summer for major work on the place.

Aug 1 was the date. We had major sagging on the SE corner so it not only required jacking but I had to shift 3 of the post/pads about 2 inches to the west. I reset 6 of the 9 posts and all 3 on the deck. The next time I need to level her I am going with cribs 24 x24 on the 4 corners

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 3,258 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.