Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Buying a piece of property out towards Trapper Creek and was looking for some ideas on what type of foundation would work best for the cabin I plan to build.

Our property is located on a ridge with some good sized trees and the ground seems to be pretty good but we'll know more after everything melts. Was thinking about using pier blocks but I am open to any and all suggestions.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Log or stick?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Stick frame.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Poured or block is best if only obviously smile Not knowing the remoteness of the location, it could get pricy.

Barring that, I'd go with sono-tubes with wheel barrow concrete and girders on which to place floor joists.

458 Lott is an engineer and will have good advice as well as others. I'm just a redneck. smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
I'm just a redneck. smile

I take issue with "just". Some rednecks are more to be trusted than some engineers. (Note the judicious use of the word "some". grin )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes, sir. I caught that.

Bastid.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is there a road to your property?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No road but I can get to it in about 10 minutes by wheeler and even faster by sled. It is no more than a mile from the road and is located in Kenny Creek subdivision in Petersville.

Steelhead

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Post and pier to beat the frost or damp ground. 40" to top of footing.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, sir. I caught that.

Bastid.

I was being nice (this time). And here you go implying that I was implying… blush

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The piers are important... and Sonotubes are hard to match, but the real trick to your foundation is going to be the floor system you put atop the piers.

Look at the "torsion box" as the correct answer and build from there. Floor squeaks and springiness can very easily be engineered right out of the equation... and it is cost-efficient +P.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And, torsion boxes are easy to insulate...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
the good thing is you'll have about 500 neighbors to ask what they did and how it turned out.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can put these in with a wiggle grin

MOLON LABE

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Yes, sir. I caught that.

Bastid.

I was being nice (this time). And here you go implying that I was implying… blush

I dint incinerate nuthin! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I are not a dirt engineer, somehow I managed to get in a position to tell folks how to not have their chit burn down and how to placate the fire marshal, should they heed my advice.

For what little it's worth, my take on cabin foundations is it's a balance between what is ideal, and what you can practically pull off in a remote location both in terms of how difficult it is to get the tools and materials on site, and how difficult and time consuming it is to do the work. Also remember that in addition to supporting the weight loads you need to consider wind loads. While pier blocks are quick and easy, they aren't going to give you any support for wind loads. But after putting in three sono tubes in rocky soil for a new deck this summer using a post hole digger and mixing up 18 sacks of concrete in a wheelbarrow, I can attest to the appeal of pier blocks.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The piers are important... and Sonotubes are hard to match, but the real trick to your foundation is going to be the floor system you put atop the piers.

Look at the "torsion box" as the correct answer and build from there. Floor squeaks and springiness can very easily be engineered right out of the equation... and it is cost-efficient +P.

I Googled torsion box and came up with lots of links for building furniture and some other small things, have you ever seen a foundation built using a torsion box?

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
And, torsion boxes are easy to insulate...

Funny, I was thinking about this last night, building a double layer floor and insulating in between them. This torsion box thing could be the answer to my foundation question.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
On another note, we will be able to get some of my buddies heavy equipment on site to help with the build. He's got a mini excavator that we will use to dig the hole for the outhouse and holes for whatever pier type foundation I decide to use.

He's already been out to the site and said getting his equipment out there won't be a problem.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've did a number of cabins by ,boat,wheeler,trackrig, it all depends upon the soil(being on a ridge i'd say go this route) a good easy and strong one is to use-used/tired rim's off a tractor trailer, screw jacks from Greer and cement its tuff and u can adjust them ,they don't burn and no digging!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
On another note, we will be able to get some of my buddies heavy equipment on site to help with the build. He's got a mini excavator that we will use to dig the hole for the outhouse and holes for whatever pier type foundation I decide to use.

He's already been out to the site and said getting his equipment out there won't be a problem.

If you can get heavy equipment to the site, can you get cement truck to it. If you can I would suggest a footings and frost wall to create a crawl space.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.