Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Buying a piece of property out towards Trapper Creek and was looking for some ideas on what type of foundation would work best for the cabin I plan to build.

Our property is located on a ridge with some good sized trees and the ground seems to be pretty good but we'll know more after everything melts. Was thinking about using pier blocks but I am open to any and all suggestions.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Log or stick?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Stick frame.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Poured or block is best if only obviously smile Not knowing the remoteness of the location, it could get pricy.

Barring that, I'd go with sono-tubes with wheel barrow concrete and girders on which to place floor joists.

458 Lott is an engineer and will have good advice as well as others. I'm just a redneck. smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
I'm just a redneck. smile

I take issue with "just". Some rednecks are more to be trusted than some engineers. (Note the judicious use of the word "some". grin )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes, sir. I caught that.

Bastid.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is there a road to your property?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No road but I can get to it in about 10 minutes by wheeler and even faster by sled. It is no more than a mile from the road and is located in Kenny Creek subdivision in Petersville.

Steelhead

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Post and pier to beat the frost or damp ground. 40" to top of footing.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, sir. I caught that.

Bastid.

I was being nice (this time). And here you go implying that I was implying… blush

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The piers are important... and Sonotubes are hard to match, but the real trick to your foundation is going to be the floor system you put atop the piers.

Look at the "torsion box" as the correct answer and build from there. Floor squeaks and springiness can very easily be engineered right out of the equation... and it is cost-efficient +P.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And, torsion boxes are easy to insulate...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the good thing is you'll have about 500 neighbors to ask what they did and how it turned out.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can put these in with a wiggle grin

MOLON LABE

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Yes, sir. I caught that.

Bastid.

I was being nice (this time). And here you go implying that I was implying… blush

I dint incinerate nuthin! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I are not a dirt engineer, somehow I managed to get in a position to tell folks how to not have their chit burn down and how to placate the fire marshal, should they heed my advice.

For what little it's worth, my take on cabin foundations is it's a balance between what is ideal, and what you can practically pull off in a remote location both in terms of how difficult it is to get the tools and materials on site, and how difficult and time consuming it is to do the work. Also remember that in addition to supporting the weight loads you need to consider wind loads. While pier blocks are quick and easy, they aren't going to give you any support for wind loads. But after putting in three sono tubes in rocky soil for a new deck this summer using a post hole digger and mixing up 18 sacks of concrete in a wheelbarrow, I can attest to the appeal of pier blocks.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The piers are important... and Sonotubes are hard to match, but the real trick to your foundation is going to be the floor system you put atop the piers.

Look at the "torsion box" as the correct answer and build from there. Floor squeaks and springiness can very easily be engineered right out of the equation... and it is cost-efficient +P.

I Googled torsion box and came up with lots of links for building furniture and some other small things, have you ever seen a foundation built using a torsion box?

Funny, I was thinking about this last night, building a double layer floor and insulating in between them. This torsion box thing could be the answer to my foundation question.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
On another note, we will be able to get some of my buddies heavy equipment on site to help with the build. He's got a mini excavator that we will use to dig the hole for the outhouse and holes for whatever pier type foundation I decide to use.

He's already been out to the site and said getting his equipment out there won't be a problem.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've did a number of cabins by ,boat,wheeler,trackrig, it all depends upon the soil(being on a ridge i'd say go this route) a good easy and strong one is to use-used/tired rim's off a tractor trailer, screw jacks from Greer and cement its tuff and u can adjust them ,they don't burn and no digging!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
On another note, we will be able to get some of my buddies heavy equipment on site to help with the build. He's got a mini excavator that we will use to dig the hole for the outhouse and holes for whatever pier type foundation I decide to use.

He's already been out to the site and said getting his equipment out there won't be a problem.

If you can get heavy equipment to the site, can you get cement truck to it. If you can I would suggest a footings and frost wall to create a crawl space.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I Googled torsion box and came up with lots of links for building furniture and some other small things, have you ever seen a foundation built using a torsion box?

Funny, I was thinking about this last night, building a double layer floor and insulating in between them. This torsion box thing could be the answer to my foundation question.

I have built a number of small cabins and outbuildings with torsion boxes and used them as beams to straighten sagging cabin floors. I would suggest it would save money, time, energy, and reduce the materials needed to build the floor.

I can probably locate drawings I made a long time ago with a couple good designs.

Pay attention to the wind loads as 458Lott mentioned...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only thing I will add is that you will likely regret any foundation system that doesn't allow you to 'adjust' the level of your structure as necessary.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 03/25/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak

If you can get heavy equipment to the site, can you get cement truck to it. If you can I would suggest a footings and frost wall to create a crawl space.

[Linked Image]

There's a big difference between running a tracked mini excavator down an RTV trail, and being able to drive a cement truck to the site. Not to mention closest cement trucks are likely a solid 2 hour drive, if not 3 hours each way.

Even if feasible, I'd look at what the increase in cost for building a crawl space (of limited benefit in a remote cabin IMHO) vs. spending the money on increasing the floor space of the cabin by building it longer or wider, a big benefit IMHO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Torsion box set on top of treated wood sleepers with crawl space access.

Virtually no excavation required if your site is fairly level.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cabin will probably be no bigger than 20x24, it's just the 2 of us and our 2 pups so we don't need a huge cabin. Besides, I need to leave some room for a shed big enough to park our sleds or wheelers in just in case I have to work on them and the weather is nasty outside.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Put the cabin up on tall piers and enclose the base later for a shed...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Put the cabin up on tall piers and enclose the base later for a shed...

I plan on using the space under the cabin to store stuff but there's no way I could make that thing high enough to park a Rhino or even a snowmachine.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Adjustable pier blocks are pretty handy in some applications. Screw in metal piers are another option. Home show in Anc. next weekend - might be some good info if you are in the area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
almost all of the cabins in my neck of the woods are pier blocks with the adjustable screw ins

few exceptions

have to tinker with them from time to time but easy and cheap.

longest one set up that way was built in '92 IIRC

it about slid off the damned things that earthquake we had last August that followed the flood waters we had in July

but fortunately we a bunch of us were there and got him fixed up muy pronto

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Even if feasible, I'd look at what the increase in cost for building a crawl space (of limited benefit in a remote cabin IMHO) vs. spending the money on increasing the floor space of the cabin by building it longer or wider, a big benefit IMHO.

I have a hidden trap door opening in the cabin floor to access the crawl space and the space serves as storage and secure place for tools, fishing, hunting gear and other small items that could be stolen while I am away for extended period of time. Wood burning stove is the only source of heat so I store canned goods and other perishable items if I am away for a few days in the cold months. Should I put in in-door plumbing the craw space would help in the installation. In addition, the concrete crawl space is a plus for resale versus a pier system.

For my specific purposes the additional cost is worth it. IMHO

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if you want this as something that will last for generations to come and to be handed down in the family over time (hopefully a long time) do it right once and enjoy. as mentioned wind and snow and the combination of the two along with the deep frost does present some challenges but they can be accommodated. when designing for wind, the devil is in the details if you will. the load paths and connections have to be done correct or while it may look impressive, it will be a waste of time and money. look through a Simpson catalog for ideas on proper wind design and how the connections required to make it all work including the hold down details from roof to foundation. another item i would suggest is when you place your roof trusses i would go with half of them as a "Room in attic" truss and the other half can be a scissors truss for a vaulted ceiling over the other half. the room in attic type truss will give you a loft area for either sleeping or storage with not much more addition work than erecting the trusses you would be putting up anyway. i did this for a buddy of mine for a cabin on his property and he was most pleased with the affordability of the design and results. i am sure there are tons of ready made plans out there that will give you what you are looking for. also since this is not going to be a huge cabin, just go with 2x6's as the wall framing for the extra insulation properties and strength for the snow loads on the roof. it really will make a difference in the performance.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does anyone up that way do helical piles?
If so, why not have someone put those in and you could just start at the beams.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did a little research on the helical piles. They look like a great specialty product for the right soil conditions, right loads and with experienced contractors installing them with the right tools.

But for building a remote cabin where you are unlikely to run core samples in the soil to find out what you'll be setting them in, it doesn't sound like such a hot idea.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those work great in the frozen permafrost mud we have out on the west side. They take some significant equipment in many situations however.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Around here they put them in with a rig you could easily pull behind a wheeler. Not sure about up that way. Looks like there is a place in wasilla that does this kinda work. I'm sure they wouldn't be cheap. If you can get a mini in there and have friends that don't mind work, maybe the sakcrete/sonotube route would be best. Just don't burn out your labor on the foundation.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Granted I am not a soil or foundation engineer or even close.

I do see lots of foundation plans of all types in plan review at the office. And I see them implemented.

I'm a firm believer in a concrete foundation generally speaking and in our area with bell less piers too.

But what I see in Alaska every trip we make, makes me really think that blocks would be one of the very best ways to go, and keep a big jack on hand for adjustment as needed.

Would be interesting to try to apply mobile home type anchors to help with wind loading, as it seems 30-40 mph winds are just a breeze up there, around here we'd be complaining about high winds...

If that doesn't work out, I'd be thinking hard about seeing if you could get pier and beam footers in place, but I'd sure be scared of variable permafrost issues and such, though I have wondered if one could not drill piers deep enough to get into the permafrost and if that would solve a big problem.

Still think the blocks might be the best solution though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Technometalpost.com

Neighbor down here is an installer. His posts are the foundation under the addition we're currently doing. The machine is about the same size as a small Bobcat. It has a short boom and drills helical posts into the ground until reaching a gauged pressure. He welds on a bracket and you build from there.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I could go with a pier/piling like that. Set at a certain pressure, seems 10,000 psi comes to mind but I may be way off.

Though I'd much prefer adjustable tabs to build on.

Thats what moms foundation is on now days and makes for an easier adjustment when that time comes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kroo88
Technometalpost.com

Neighbor down here is an installer. His posts are the foundation under the addition we're currently doing. The machine is about the same size as a small Bobcat. It has a short boom and drills helical posts into the ground until reaching a gauged pressure. He welds on a bracket and you build from there.

Homer has very little permafrost. Petersville has lots. I would avoid metal posts for that reason.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What does permafrost do to metal? Serious question.

Seems the pipeline is on them but it has radiators for lack of a better word.

Expansion contraction? Or brittleness of steel if it gets really cold?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No problem to the metal at all. It conducts heat into the permafrost, hence those radiators to keep moving the heat out. The chances of landing in a permafrost lens is fairly high. When it melts it leaves a big hole...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey neighbor! I made my own concrete for the last cabin I built, brought the Portland cement in by sled in the spring. I screened the aggregates from the nearby gravel bar. I use 12" PVC piers 9'+ deep. No heaving at all. My buddies cabin on sonotube piers heave, so I use PVC.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those radiators are often filled with ammonia as a passive radiator-coolant-type system.

Short of getting that elaborate, a gravel pad over rigid foam board is a frequently-used method. Then wood pads to support heavy beams on top of that are proven ways of dealing with foundations in perm-frost country.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Are you intending to post hole some test holes?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Technometalpost.com

Homer has very little permafrost. Petersville has lots. I would avoid metal posts for that reason.

Good point....thoroughly enjoying Global Warming here. Those Chinese sure are nice people.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Technometalpost.com

Thanks for that link. I've been kicking around options for our place up in Caribou Hills...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
if you want this as something that will last for generations to come and to be handed down in the family over time (hopefully a long time) do it right once and enjoy. as mentioned wind and snow and the combination of the two along with the deep frost does present some challenges but they can be accommodated. when designing for wind, the devil is in the details if you will. the load paths and connections have to be done correct or while it may look impressive, it will be a waste of time and money. look through a Simpson catalog for ideas on proper wind design and how the connections required to make it all work including the hold down details from roof to foundation. another item i would suggest is when you place your roof trusses i would go with half of them as a "Room in attic" truss and the other half can be a scissors truss for a vaulted ceiling over the other half. the room in attic type truss will give you a loft area for either sleeping or storage with not much more addition work than erecting the trusses you would be putting up anyway. i did this for a buddy of mine for a cabin on his property and he was most pleased with the affordability of the design and results. i am sure there are tons of ready made plans out there that will give you what you are looking for. also since this is not going to be a huge cabin, just go with 2x6's as the wall framing for the extra insulation properties and strength for the snow loads on the roof. it really will make a difference in the performance.

Not my cabin, but I love the idea of a vaulted ceiling and loft for a smaller home. You can do some much with that area. If there are school age grandkids involved, they love loft areas to get away from the "old folks".

B
B
heres my cabin i built 4 years ago. i can get the ATV,SNOWMOBILE AND LOG SPLITTER UNDER IT.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
Hey neighbor! I made my own concrete for the last cabin I built, brought the Portland cement in by sled in the spring. I screened the aggregates from the nearby gravel bar. I use 12" PVC piers 9'+ deep. No heaving at all. My buddies cabin on sonotube piers heave, so I use PVC.

Whereabouts in Petersville is your cabin? Our land is in the Kenny Creek subdivision and is one of the closest lots to the road.

Some good suggestions here and I appreciate all the helpful info. I know a few other folks that built cabins out that way and will be bending their ears this summer/next winter.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not building this summer?

Be a good time to get a foundation in and allow a winter to shift/settle.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I can provide pictures and a few other thoughts relating to why…. blush

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

what you used for the form shouldn't make any difference in the chance of it heaving. it's the frost depth. i would suspect that your set of piers were deeper than the frost depth in your area opposed to your buddies piers may not have been deep enough. depending on the size of the structure you will be supporting and the distance between the supports required, another issue a person could run into is inadequate soil bearing for the particular load. a 12" dia pier doesn't have much of a foot print to distribute the loads into the ground. what would be nice is if a guy could bell out the bottom of his piers prior to pouring to give the pier more footprint to bear on. belling it out to 18" to 24" in dia for about 8"-12" in ht before transitioning back to the original bore dia would go a long way in both bearing capacity as well as increased up lift capacity for your wind loads (think of it as the pier being dovetailed into the soil some 10 ft below. my .02 anyway.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 03/30/15.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Correct, we are going to sit on the land for a year or so before we commence with the construction of a cabin. But I do plan on cutting some trees and such this summer when we select the actual spot where the cabin will go up.

There are some pretty large trees on our lot with ample spacing where we won't have to cut too many of them down.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

what you used for the form shouldn't make any difference in the chance of it heaving. it's the frost depth. i would suspect that your set of piers were deeper than the frost depth in your area opposed to your buddies piers may not have been deep enough. …….

Won't matter if there's permafrost. Permafrost is generally a lot deeper than any piers an ordinary individual will install. Anchoring piers in permafrost requires some method to deal with conduction of heat from on top. Even 30 foot columns properly designed for permafrost can be subject to heaving. Insulated pads are the simplest and most economical way to build on permafrost. You need to be able to adjust the building as it shifts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
admittedly i have not gotten into any foundation design work in a permafrost region. Southern Canada has been my most northern experience in terms of actual projects worked on so i reserve the right to be totally out of the loop on design methods for those regions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here is a portion of design criteria that goes into the permafrost methods needed.

https://books.google.com/books?id=U...%20in%20permafrost%20regions&f=false

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

MOLON LABE

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tree species, slope, facing direction, etc?

I'm sure you know that all affects liklihood of permafrost

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The ridge where the property is located is east facing, towards the Talkeetna's and is not steep. I believe the previous owner said the ridge is a bit more than 400 feet above the water table and we could put in a septic if we wanted (I do not).

Not sure of the tree species, am thinking maybe cottonwood but not positive on that.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK, then.

Pilings it is! wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Be VERY careful thinning cottonwoods unless you thin ALL of them... They like to fall down on cabins and removing just some leaves the remaining trees more open to the wind and far more likely to blow down...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Do any private residences up there use permafrost cooling tubes?

[Linked Image]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I've only seen them on larger buildings. Hydraulic jacks are handy for small structures. (And the radiators only help minimize problems anyway; things still shift.)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
tag

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Whiptail

[Linked Image]

What mile is that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I opened the picture in it's original location and you can zoom in. As best as I can tell the yellow sign says little globe creek and I think the number 420. So if that's the case, I think it's somewhere around Fairbanks.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's off the Elliot Highway north of Fairbanks.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Search on google "Conex Cabins" then click on images !

lots of great ideas for a shipping container cabin

I have property near the Deshka Landing and may go with something like this ....

http://weburbanist.com/2009/12/01/c...-home/21-holyoke-family-container-cabin/

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The caveat with conex cabins is by the time you add the structure to support the roof (conex roofs cannot support much snowload) add structure for insulating the walls etc, you've essentially built a cabin around the conex.

But something like this might be worth considering

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 458 Lott; 03/31/15.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Crossfireoops North!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that pic to me looks to be taken facing north

lots of areas look the same, but it looks like my old sheep training run where the pipeline crosses Goldstream creek.

as to "do any folks use pipeline methods for private residences?"

on the south side of farmers loop in fbks, there's a house built upon that technology.

old pard of mine did it, he retired from pipeline work and headed south as many have done

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Yup, That just about sez it all

Last edited by nitrosonic; 03/31/15.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's off the Elliot Highway north of Fairbanks.

oops seems my amigo had already pretty well identified that spot blush

it doesn't look like much, but with 90# on your back, it's a ball buster at the bottom cry

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It was suggested to me by the previous owner to use railroad ties for our cabin foundation. That's what he uses on his current lot and he's much lower and wetter than what we are.

I'm also building a shop by our house and will probably use them for the foundation unless I decide to go with concrete.

Thoughts?

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ties or treated timbers is what I'm familiar with in permafrost country. The new school, built 6-7 years ago, 200-300 feet in length, sitting on high-pressure ammonia-filled columns set 25 feet into terra-frost, had shifted by 2-3 inches in the first year. If you have permafrost, pads are the best way….and insulate the building from the ground the best you can.

Oh, another anecdote: our school got a nice new welding shop. It was built on an old runway which was built up off the tundra a good 6-8 feet and had been in place for better than 30 years. A more stable piece of ground one could not find in that country given that it had been hammered by thousands of planes landing. Trenches were dug in that hard pack for footed concrete walls, insulation was laid and in-floor heat loops were installed before a concrete floor was poured. It's a small building, around 1000 sq ft. In the second year of heat in the floor, the floor receded enough so that first, the air compressor hose would slide under an interior wall, a couple months later a 2x4 would slide under (laid flat), and by the beginning of the third year, that same 2x4 would fit under that wall on edge. At least the wall had some integrity. smile A building you can jack as needed is a smart way way to build. Pads and beams/glue lams are not a bad foundation on questionable ground.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't think permafrost is going to be an issue since this is on the side of a ridge and is not a wet property.

The folks we bought this property from built there's on flat ground and they used railroad ties for their foundation. He has only had 1 issue with 1 corner of his cabin shifting so it seems that this might be the way to go where we will be building.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Brother_Bill
Technometalpost.com

Thanks for that link. I've been kicking around options for our place up in Caribou Hills...

Had TMP do 12 pilings for me last month. I'm getting started on then new cabin right now. So far, I'm pretty impressed with these helical piles. Dave did a great job...

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I built a 16x20 cabin up the Little Noatak River back in 04 and it has done well. I jacked and leveled it as needed normally every 2 years. It has been left alone for the pass few years and this was the summer for major work on the place.

Aug 1 was the date. We had major sagging on the SE corner so it not only required jacking but I had to shift 3 of the post/pads about 2 inches to the west. I reset 6 of the 9 posts and all 3 on the deck. The next time I need to level her I am going with cribs 24 x24 on the 4 corners

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 58 invisible), 3,345 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.