24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The factory pre X mark trigger in my Sendero won't reset on a canceled shot ( pull the trigger but not fire and let off ). Is this normal? Every other gun I have does and I would think the 700 should. Say you have .025 sear engagement and you pull .020 and let off, this would leave you with a mear .005 sear engagement. I see this as a dangerous spot to be in while hunting. Does a Timney act this way?

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Sounds like some one been working on the trigger that shouldn't have. sear should be 12-15 thds. if it is only .005 its not resseting or possibaly the over travel been set too tight and trigger is not pulling far enough.
Ok re read your post you did mean rest after working bolt ? or just after fireing ?

Last edited by ldholton; 03/24/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A clearer explanation of ones exact actions are needed here. Are there any manipulations of ones safety in this process?

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JESUS!!!!

Keep the dick-skinner off the bang-switch until it is time to pull it!!!

Guessing sear engagement in mid trigger-pull is so far out there there are no words to describe it!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"I see this as a dangerous spot to be in while hunting."

NSS

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My goal here is educational. Sitka have you ever cancelled a shot? By the way how's Alaska and did you ever sale that mini? Of course finger off the trigger until ready, but what happens if you don't shoot? If something happens and you change your mind, what then?

This trigger has not been modified at all. The numbers I used are hypothetical. I did not try to measure them, just present a possible scenario. If you switch the safety on and then off the trigger reaches full reset. If the bolt is cycled the trigger then also resets. There is no release of the bolt happening.

The inside of the trigger housing is clean and free of burrs. The only contact is the sear and connector. The over travel screw plays no part here. In fact I backed it out just to check that and the same condition is present. The trigger pull is right at 4.25lbs. My question is this, have any of you checked to see if your 700 behaves this way or does yours fully reset on its own without any other manipulation?

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smooth faces and positive angles of sear engagement should reset the trigger. I've found most factory triggers are simply hit and miss on the surface gauge. ...but rarely out on the angle.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That's my thinking. I still want someone to check their 700 and tell me what happens in that rifle. I am going to buy another trigger but am curious as to the behavior of a Timney, do they reset?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the safety puts everything back in place, then I'd not loose any sleep what so ever over the mechanics at all. It would probably take a serious trigger pull spring to force ones trigger home against the resistance offered by the firing pin spring and its accompanying sear. My Rems, Wins, and Rugers, that allow me to actually see the sear engagement, all simply sit at the point where I let off, and it does take some serious effort to leave them midway. Minimal travel in each. When the safeties take the load off, everything goes home.

Yes, there is probably a 1 in million chance one could position things such that when he relaxed with the safety off and there was a minor tectonic shift, the sear could drop. Never had it happen to me yet with about 55 years of shooting and about 10 different name brands of firearms.

Obey the first of the 10 commandments though (muzzle control) and life will always be fine.

Again, with the safety taking everything home, one has no worries. One of the reasons I favor a safety that captures the firing pin as opposed to one that simply blocks the trigger.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/25/15.

1Minute
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I totally agree with all safety practices. Interesting to know about your other rifles. I didn't post to be lectured by others, I don't think anyone here does. I was simply making an observation of my rifle amid all the BS about Remington issues. It does push me to replace my trigger sooner though. Thanks for the reply.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I talked to a local smith and he said that is normal for a rem trigger.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by willflow
The factory pre X mark trigger in my Sendero won't reset on a canceled shot ( pull the trigger but not fire and let off ). Is this normal? Every other gun I have does and I would think the 700 should. Say you have .025 sear engagement and you pull .020 and let off, this would leave you with a mear .005 sear engagement. I see this as a dangerous spot to be in while hunting. Does a Timney act this way?

The new Timney 510 (Rem 700) blocks the trigger so full engagement is maintained. I never had problems with the old system.

Those Remington triggers are made of MIM, which can break. I don't want one.

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You mean like this ?

[Linked Image]

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
And that is why I would never have a new style trigger.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I doubt if Remington is the only one using MIM.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by whelennut
I doubt if Remington is the only one using MIM.

Nope.

That's why my CZ 550 now has a Timney.

The penny or two they save with those terrible MIM parts has to cost them in the long run with CS and unhappy customers.

It's pretty bad when you have to factor in another hundred bucks or so to "fix" a new rifle trigger... frown

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
laugh laugh

Timney (and others) are getting rich thanks to Rem factory triggers..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by willflow
I talked to a local smith and he said that is normal for a rem trigger.

Did the lighter spring work to reduce the pull while giving you more spring compression?
Alan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
549 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.