Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Aught6
I did the same with my recurve minus the string slap injury.... I shot it to the point of failure and the trip to the chiropractor prompted the question as to why my left arm/shoulder was so tight. One mention and he responded "I need to get my azz outside and do the same." I love the fact that it feels like it weighs 1/4 of any compound. I have yet to seriously shoot a long bow for fear of losing the love for my recurve and I'd hate to do that.

I like them both, shoot them both and own them both. I do however like longbows with a lot of RD. I hate Hill style bows. I see no pro's with them and a lot of con's.

BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bea175
I like my Longbow if for no other reason it is like carrying a feather in the woods compared to my Compounds

Because of this thread and Lt Pat I shot my longbow about 45 times yesterday, still suck at it and my wrist got the chit string slapped out of it. grin

Hold that bow like you're shaking hands, not like your doing a push-up.

Thanks for the tip Lt. Pat, I'll try that the next shooting session smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by gunner500
I like my Longbow if for no other reason it is like carrying a feather in the woods compared to my Compounds

Because of this thread and Lt Pat I shot my longbow about 45 times yesterday, still suck at it and my wrist got the chit string slapped out of it. grin

Hold that bow like you're shaking hands, not like your doing a push-up.

I'm gonna have to sell you my Toelke whip longbow. cry grin

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Most who try the longbow will never go back to the recurve
Although that might be true, it wasn't for me. Although I have had and still do have and shoot a long bow (I've probably owned 5 or 6), I keep going back to the first recurve I had made, a Kimsha. It's a beautiful bow, 60" 50# @ 28 (I draw 29) and I just plain like shooting it better than the long bow. Not to mention I'm a better shot with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hoyt

Got a new Covert Hunter being built now that should be ready first part of next month.

I'm jealous - Border makes some very nice stuff. I would love to try a Covert Hunter but don't have the guts to buy and try.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Unfortunately I may be heading in the opposite direction, at least for elk season.

My mid 50# longbows are starting to reek havoc on my old surgically repaired and arthritic shoulder. Yesterday for the first time in my 63 years I shot a compound for more than a shot or two. After maybe 30-40 arrows I realize I can keep hunting elk but I am going to have to head into a world of archery that is totally foreign to me.

Fortunately I was at an archery shop that understood why I was there and patiently set up a nice bow for me to shoot on their range. Of course, I'll probably have to sell three bows to pay for it unless I can find a used one in my old man specs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by Hoyt

Got a new Covert Hunter being built now that should be ready first part of next month.

"I'm jealous - Border makes some very nice stuff. I would love to try a Covert Hunter but don't have the guts to buy and try.
"

Since I now live in the sticks, I don't have the luxury of trying one out. But, I've kinda been thinking about Border Bows for a few yrs. and just decided to give one a try.

All the rave about the new Hex 7 limbs is what really made up my mind for me. I didn't even know about the let off type draw cycle until after I'd ordered it. Don't really know if I'll like that or not until I shoot it. I know I don't like the draw cycle of compounds, especially heavy let offs..main reason I went back to recurves.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by LostArra
Unfortunately I may be heading in the opposite direction, at least for elk season.

My mid 50# longbows are starting to reek havoc on my old surgically repaired and arthritic shoulder. Yesterday for the first time in my 63 years I shot a compound for more than a shot or two. After maybe 30-40 arrows I realize I can keep hunting elk but I am going to have to head into a world of archery that is totally foreign to me.

Fortunately I was at an archery shop that understood why I was there and patiently set up a nice bow for me to shoot on their range. Of course, I'll probably have to sell three bows to pay for it unless I can find a used one in my old man specs.

just remember you can shoot a compound instinctively.... many did for years when they came out. I have also. You can just get a good compound and keep on rocking. No need for 150 buck sights, releases, peeps etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
EXACTLEY! I know guys that shoot compounds with high% let off because they've had shoulder work done. They still shoot with fingers and no sights. You may need a rest of some sort as compounds don't have the correct shelf geometry to shoot off them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But I bet it might be hard to find a long enough one these days with this rage of short bows. Those short bow folks haven't a clue what it means to shoot with fingers and in a way thats a shame.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The crossbow is interesting to me and looks cool.

Ct made them legal for deer so I got one and its easy to shoot and even practice with in the basement. It's quiet.

The kit was only $200.

[Linked Image]

I missed this post, but boy if you think a crossbow is quiet... well you've NEVER heard a quiet stick bow, wheels or not.... quiet crossbow... I think thats under oxymoron in the dictionary.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's right. Crossbows are legal here and most people think they're going to have it easy when they get one. Just my two cents, but the only time I have seen an advantage to a crossbow (other than those physically handicapped) is in certain situations where the sound of drawing a bow is almost certain to alert an animal.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
and the sound when they are fired is so loud it almost negates that advantage,they are not as fast as a speeding bullet as many think...

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yessir. That's why used used ones are so easy to find.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hoyt still makes one. I believe it is called the Tribute. Actually most shops have an area of 'old bows', some real treasures in there sometimes. I once bought a Reflex Caribou for $50!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.