Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking of picking up a trailer for a SxS. Basically for hauling gravel and building supplies ( gotta build a cabin).

I could just use my trailer that I haul my SxS with for most of everything except the gravel. Using the bed would take a lot of trips for the gravel ( multiple dump truck loads) and I would like to speed up the process, if you know what I mean. A trailer that is self dumping would be great since my dad would be using it and he's not exactly a spring chicken anymore. We have a tractor to load it.

I'm curious what's out there and see if the costs are worth investment. I'm in AG country so maybe some of the John Deere, new holland, Massey dealers, etc are available also. Any info would be great

Last edited by Joel/AK; 03/24/15.
GB2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Depending on what you mean by (gravel) and the kind of terrain to get to your cabin hauling gravel in a SxS will be a time consuming project. 1 cubic yard. of cement gravel in Tok is about 3500 lbs.
Lot of weight for an ATV/UTV.
Erich

At some point my hobbies became my life.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That would be a lot of weight for a SxS to pull if the trailor is of any volume (or a whole lot of very small loads). Might be easier to pull it with the tractor that you're using to load it?

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's definite not optimal, I agree. If we can get the dump truck down our access road, it would be about 1/3 mile trip to the farthest point. If we have a wet spring it would be well over a mile in mud because I'm not sure if a dump truck would make it in. Terrain is flat ( it's MI) but add in mud and it's a lot. Last year when we were putting culverts, the dump truck slid off the road and buried itself in the mud. Spent a couple days shoring it up and rebuilding the road. I don't want to play that game again.

I might just save the money and take the topper off my truck and use that.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Can you get gravel at your cabin site if you dig for it with a backhoe/trackhoe. That might be an option.
Erich

At some point my hobbies became my life.
IC B2

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Unfortunately that's not an option. Sucks to cuz I left a good size trailer in Tok with my friend that's made for a SxS when I moved out of AK.oh we'll, that's the way it goes

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
None of the dump trailers I've seen in ads go up to more than 45 degrees. That's not steep enough to dump anything stickier than water or marbles. Gravel with any dirt in it likely won't slide out without shoveling. Watch a dump truck unload dirt or gravel. Most of them go up to maybe 70 degrees or more.

I used to be a roofer. We had a 45 degree truck that we used to haul old shingles, etc. It wouldn't dump anything. We always had to shovel it out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.