Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 31 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 30 31
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Dennis, I'm hoping you can make it. It's been too long since we sat and talked!

Remember, caffeine is your friend! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, we've had over 9" of rain here since the first of March according to my neighbor!

I do not doubt it. We have had 7.5 inches according to the gauge in my garden. My yard will bog down a snipe. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope you can make it Dennis. I hate that I had to miss the Arizona gathering. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so the shooting contests will be at what ranges?

200 yards for the prairie dog shoot? And the others?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just barely catching up with this thread!
Last year was a blast, although my kids nearly froze to death and Ed and his wife were gentle enough to let us sleep in the RV with heating.
We will be in Peru and coming back Sunday just before the gathering and since my wife did not go into berserk seek and destroy mode when I brought the subject up, pending scheduling at work, we may be able to come again.
It will be nice to see some familiar faces again and meet new guys from here if we can make it.
Any plans on shotgunning claybirds? Ed what kind would we need?

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Pablo, I found one case (90 birds) of biodegradable White Flyer clay birds at the local Walmart.
The box has an orange band around it with the words "biodegradable" in that band. Hope this helps when looking.
Any other kind are toxic to the horses. Use the toxic ones here and Ms. Barbara will be toxic to someone's health. eek

I am going to use some of these for the Firearms class the first weekend of April, so I won't have a full case unless we find some more.

I'm really hoping you and your family can make it!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
so the shooting contests will be at what ranges?
200 yards for the prairie dog shoot? And the others?

These are my ideas, but I'm still waiting for some input from you guys.

DGR Shoot - Any rifle, .40 caliber and up, iron sights only, two 8" targets fired at, in order of farthest to closest, starting at 35 yards, then 15 yards. NO light loads. Factory load equivalent only, This will favor double guns as far as speed, but accuracy is what is important.

It doesn't help if you miss really, really fast. shocked laugh

.22lr Shoot - Any rifle, any sights, any position, 100 yards, tightest five shot group with one round REQUIRED to be in the orange center dot. If no one gets a round in the dot, then closest group wins. Time limit of 90 seconds for the five shots.

BPCR Shoot - 12" target, three rounds, barrel sights only, any position, 200 yards, in one minute. Smallest group wins.

Military Rifle Shoot - Any vintage military rifle, any caliber, iron sights only, military issue or equivalent loads, three shots, off-hand (slings permitted), in one minute at 100 yards.
Maybe we should just go ahead and call this the "Bob "kaywoodie" Norment Shoot". laugh

Spaghetti Western Practice Shoot - 15 yards, any Centerfire Revolver or auto-pistol, iron sights only, five shots, one-handed, beginning with the handgun in the shooters hand and at his/her side, at five beverage cans on a log, in 30 seconds. Ties will be decided by a shoot-off consisting of five cans on a log, five shots in 30 seconds at 50 yards. grin (Thought y'all were going to get off easy, didn't ya?)

I need ideas on a "Kids Shoot", too. Any thoughts?

We can have a Traditional Archery Shoot here in the yard at anytime. 4" balloons at 20 yards, pick the color of balloon BEFORE you release the arrow. grin
Ties will be decided by shooting an apple off of the opponent's head. First shooter will be determined by a coin toss. shocked

Or, shoot-off will be at golf ball size balloons at 20 yards. Your choice. grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.458 SOCCOM AR, check

.22 with 12x scope, check

what is this "barrel sights" you refer to? smirk

M1A's count as military rifles, do they not? How about sporterized 03's? smirk

15 yards, any centerfire revo...check

Kids shoot (now being serious smile ) Probably needs to be a cutoff on ages, but in general maybe make sure they have something fun & easy to shoot as far as a rifle, and balloons or something else as a reactive target (full soda cans?) so they can see hits.

A .22 single shot is traditional, but maybe a .22 autoloader would be more fun? And an AR with adjustable stock would fit different kids? I'm sort of brainstorming here, certainly willing to loan a rifle for kids to shoot.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
...what is this "barrel sights" you refer to? smirk

M1A's count as military rifles, do they not? How about sporterized 03's? smirk...

Barrel sights: look at a factory 1903 or '03A3. They have "barrel sights". grin

M1A is a military rifle. As for the '03, define "sporterized". If it's just the stock cut off, yes. New barrel, aftermarket trigger, glass bedded stock, no.

AR-15 A2 or A3 would qualify, as would a Trapdoor Springfield, P-14 or P-17, 1898 Krag, M-1 Carbine ( sick ), Rolling Block, or Winchester 1895.

I guess I should have called it the "Battle Rifle Shoot".

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kids shoot (now being serious smile ) Probably needs to be a cutoff on ages, but in general maybe make sure they have something fun & easy to shoot as far as a rifle, and balloons or something else as a reactive target (full soda cans?) so they can see hits.

A .22 single shot is traditional, but maybe a .22 autoloader would be more fun? And an AR with adjustable stock would fit different kids? I'm sort of brainstorming here, certainly willing to loan a rifle for kids to shoot.

Good ideas!

The kids are welcome to shoot my 77/22. The stock isnt adjustable, but I'm pretty sure they wont mind. If it will go 'bang', its good.

Some of us 'big boys' had better look-out. There was a young lady at the meet last year, that could shoot pretty darn good! grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldman03
...Some of us 'big boys' had better look-out. There was a young lady at the meet last year, that could shoot pretty darn good! grin

You bet she could! I think that's a very good, generous idea, Randy! I have a couple of single-shot .22's, a Marlin 39, and an old Marlin 81 they could shoot too.

If any other folks have something the kids might shoot, bring it!

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the distance on the P D shoot?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
What is the distance on the P D shoot?

75 yds, if your going to sight in your rifle! whistle grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's why they are trying to keep the range a secret. grin

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
That's why they are trying to keep the range a secret. grin

Since the beginning, it has always been 200 yards. We can make it an unknown distance (no rangefinders allowed whistle ) and really make it tough. grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Works for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not bragging, but last year I came in 2nd place, when I killed the prairie dog in the middle of the head with a 7mmRM.
Cold bore shot, had not sighted it in, and I shot high thinking it was sighted for 100yds (had not shot the rifle in about a year)... had I held on target who knows!

That got me a surprise award of a brick of 22LR so can't complain at all!!!
by the way the range for the PD shoot is not 200yds or 75yds, it is 123.7yds sight in for that gents. wink

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a CZ452 that I will bring if we can make it. Has a centerfire 4x scope that is parallaxed at 100yds I guess, but I am debating getting an infamous SWFA SS MQ 6x or 10x as a belated birthday gift.
What do the masses say? 6x, 10x or different scope?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sponxx
I have a CZ452 that I will bring if we can make it. Has a centerfire 4x scope that is parallaxed at 100yds I guess, but I am debating getting an infamous SWFA SS MQ 6x or 10x as a belated birthday gift.
What do the masses say? 6x, 10x or different scope?

I use FX 12's which have an A O. Does the 10X have an A O?

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I use FX 12's which have an A O. Does the 10X have an A O?

This would be my first choice, too.

Pablo, you need to check your rangefinder it was 121.34 yards. grin
BTW, your shooting that and other rifles proves that you are one of the ones to beat!

Ed

Page 15 of 31 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.