Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
My son and I are going to South Africa in May, and I would like to have a rough estimate of how much to budget for tips. Here are the details:
- Hunt was purchased at auction and is for 10 days for two hunters, with $3000 animal credit. Package includes PH, trackers, meals, etc.
- We plan to shoot around $8000 of trophy fees, which would cost us $5000. That should be the total amount we pay the outfitter (plus tips, which I want to estimate.)

Assuming service is good to exceptional, what would be a rough estimate of total tipping we should budget for?

Last edited by Bob33; 03/22/15.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Do you have a "daily rate"?

My best advice is 10% of the daily rate paid to the PH so that he can distribute it to the staff as he sees as appropriate. There are are a lot of folks involved that you may never see.

If you feel that someone goes "above and beyond", then tip them separately, but the "team" concept should still be considered.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bob33,

FWIW- check out the Tipping Guide info over on Africahunting website- lots of useful info.
From my own experience, tipping of individual staff who are part of your safari (cooks, skinners, trackers, housecleaners, etc.) is not only appreciated by them, but also the outfitters I have hunted with- they usually go out of their way to thank me and my wife for doing so. I suspect part of that is the fact that the outfitter or PH don't have to worry about parceling out tip money themselves. We always take along small envelopes for tip money, and write individual names on each.
I usually ask the outfitter or PH for guidelines as what to give their staff, and then deal with the PH or outfitter, if he is also the PH, individually. I know that some folks feel that if a PH is also the owner of his business, that he is not entitled to being tipped. I disagree.
I usually count on approx. 10% to 15% of the hunt cost being spent on tips, but there have been exceptions in the past, in the case of a long, hard hunt that has resulted in an exceptional animal taken.
Also, if the safari is very expensive, the lower end of the total cost percentage is probably fine- you are spending a lot of money with these guys, and 15% may be way out of proportion to the actual effort they put in.
But, all that said- it's an individual decision, and at the end of the day, tips or not, you will probably be welcome to return at any time!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fgold767

Agree

But we Americans tip to dang much and to dang high

I did 10% on 10k in 2014 to Ph and staff but the next time I might drop down to 5 or 6

DO NOT FORGET TO PUT BACK $$$$$ FOR DIP, PACK, SHIP, BROKER and USA SHIPPING

It is expensive and not discussed nearly enoigh

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tipping is always up to your discretion. On a PG hunt of 7-10 days, $500 - $750 to the PH and another $250-300 for the staff will cover a good hunt.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm more in line with hatari's thinking. I sat down with the safari operator last May in Namibia and asked him what his thoughts were. I told him I was very pleased with everything, and that I wanted to make sure everybody involved got tipped on the high end of the scale. Mine was a $6300 hunt, and I wound up tipping them around $600, once again, at the owner's discretion. I'll do the same thing again this go 'round.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I/we will travel to RSA April 17-28 to hunt. On our first two trips to RSA I/we, my wife and myself, have decided to evaluate the hunting, lodging and support before deciding on the size of the trip. We have come to the conclusion that if we were happy with all a $100 a day is adequate and we have been invited to return time and again. BTW, we do not drink or smoke or make unusual requests of the PH/outfitter. He has been very outgoing and pleasant and emails us with specials he does not run often. Evaluate the services and make an informed decision on your own. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
On my two trips to Africa, I have used 10% of daily rates as the number I used when figuring my budget. I also tip up or down on the 10% depending on how things go on the trip. I would also plan on bringing a little extra cash for unplanned stuff that might come up.
Greg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always done 10% of the daily rate for the PH and $300.00-$400.00 to be split between the camp staff. You may want to consider more for the PH if he shoots a Lion or Leopard off of you. grin

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.