OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sun 4/19
Sun 5/17
Sun 6/21
Sun 7/19
Sun 8/16
Sun 9/20-State Championship

The matches all start at 0800 at the Lincoln, NE Isaak Walton range.

Lincoln Ikes

There is a link to the club for the calendar and directions to the range.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to see the IDPA guys try their hand at 200 yards.

Heck they brag about 7 yard groups.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It has been many years since I have done any IHMSA shooting. I loved it but loss of ranges within driving distance did away with it for me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
I'd like to see the IDPA guys try their hand at 200 yards.

Heck they brag about 7 yard groups.

You'd be a fool to assume that just because IDPA shoots close range stuff, that they are not totally capable of a 200 yard handgun shot.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spent many years shooting IHMSA and honestly never ran into any IDPA guys. Maybe they just choose to remain in one discipline which is just fine as it enables one to become more proficient in their chosen area. Then there's the $$$$$$ factor. Serious shooting ain't cheap.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IDPA folks can shoot long, they just choose their sport.

It would be like them saying, hey I bet an IHMSA couldn't shoot worth a flip in our sport.

That would be a mistake.

Discounting any competitive shooter is a mistake. Ones that take the time to compete and practice.

Shooting is all the same, just different venues.

FWIW we were highpower shooters, but crosstrained in a LOT of other sports.... having competed in a lot, there is a lot out there to learn. To be arrogant about your own sport isn't smart.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry to say that IHMSA is dying out. I joined in 1978 and decided to let my membership expire this year. Had a lot of fun with some great people, and learned a great deal, but time takes its toll. It is a great sport but most of the ranges are gone, it's expensive done right, and I guess there are just too many more attractive things for people these days. Still, I have a safe sprinkled with some unique pistols and revolvers we'll never see the like of again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
I have a safe sprinkled with some unique pistols and revolvers we'll never see the like of again.

Do you have any chin guns ?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There were pistols/revolvers that were chin guns?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't recall seeing any revolver chin guns but not saying there weren't any. Rear handled bolt guns as well single shots like Wichitas and a few Contenders mostly.

IC B3

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking forward to the new season. It's truly a shame that the sport is dying out, as it's a great test of skill. As with most shooting sports, you'll come into contact with a group of great people. The only way it will come back is through a grassroots effort...so go shoot it where you can. Hell, all it takes is a revolver or TC single shot. Popping rams, standing, with open sights, to say nothing of the bastid turkeys, is a very satisfying thing. The ability to align the sights on a distant target and set it off without disturbing the pistol will help you become a much better rifle shot also. Scopes for those who don't wish to learn irons, or who's eyesight prevents them being competitive, so there is no reason not to shoot it when and where you can.

Last edited by kciH; 04/08/15.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
kciH

Its the same with many sports...

I just read an email about our state LR championship being filled up. Standby only.

Due to F class.

I"m ok with that and shooting is better than not, for the masses, but it pains me to watch the society do what I think I"m seeing...

Folks in highpower too lazy to put a coat and sling on and learn to use irons. I watched folks in their 70s whip my butt and eveyrone elses this way for years when I started shooting.

But now you make every thing easy and folks will play the game much quicker.

I don't like this lazy society one stinking bit. But as noted I"m glad the championship filled up....

Likely never see the good ole days of Perry having 7 or maybe even more relays in the CMP days... man where those matches long, but fun, and so many folks to chat with and compete against etc...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
kciH

Folks in highpower too lazy to put a coat and sling on and learn to use irons. I watched folks in their 70s whip my butt and eveyrone elses this way for years when I started shooting.

I shot NRA centerfire silhouette for quite a few years.Try getting someone into that !!! It's almost useless to try.

200 meters, 300 meters, 385 meters & 500 meters standing unsupported with no slings or jackets. Guys would say,"I want to practice first",and that would be the last time I ever saw them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It would be a LOT easier to shoot centerfire silhouette than highpower any day.

Only we didn't have a range other than small bore close to us. So we shot smallbore and thought it was a joyful vacation in the heat. No coats. No sweatshirts. No sweatbands, caps, slings etc...

Just go out in your jeans and grab a rifle and shoot.

That was almost as relaxing as bullseye pistol was, maybe even more so.

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm getting into hunting rifle silhouette this year also, as I'm not ready to invest in "proper" rifle...but I do have a tack driving 25-06 with a good scope and a 16oz trigger. I'll be tickled if I hit a turkey or ram at that range offhand.

I'm a firm believer that getting kids, and adults, into shooting sports of whatever kind is the future of our sport(s), and the future of our rights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
It would be a LOT easier to shoot centerfire silhouette than highpower any day.

Shot with a few highpower guys. Their take was the opposite.

You shoot standing at 200. Everything else is prone with a jacket,glove and a sling.

Lets see some of your 500 meter STANDING TARGETS. UNSUPPORTED.

Highpower has 10 minutes to shoot the long line. Silhouette has 2 1/2 minutes. BIG DIFFERENCE

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, umm you didn't get teh part wife and I have shot smallbore, I'm aware of the time limits etc...

In highpower if you use a minute per shot, you've probably lost the match... We get basically a minute per shot, you get 30 seconds per shot. Almost every slow fire shot I've shot in highpower has been in under 30 seconds typically on average. Thats including waiting on someone to pull and mark and recycle your target, no instant feedback.

I never said HP silhouette was easy, but it sure would not be as tortorous as putting all the highpower gear on. There are 2 parts to shooting.

And since a particular person you MIGHT know, David Tubb, has won both HP and Silhouette more than a few times, its a workable thing to shoot both.

Like I said, much easier game to get into is the silhouette wihtout suffering. Now accelling at the game won't be easy, but at least you won't have to learn sitting rapid(yes sitting, its not all prone after offhand, like you say), prone rapid and prone slow all the way to 1000 yards.
Have you ever gone out in 110 degree heat with 80% humidity, and jeans and a shirt on, then put a long sleeve hooded sweat shirt on, then a leather felt insulated coat, insulated glove, and such and then been in that gear sometimes for 20-25 minutes depending on prep time, sighters, and strings plus alibis and so on? I have actually come off the line after winning a 600 yard match with stars showing and had to lay down in the shade and get some wind on me as I was basically in heat stress....
Those days silhouette would have been very welcome.

Wanna show me some of your 600 and 1000 yard supported iron sight groups. LOL.

In the rimfire stuff the turkeys were the worst to me. But it sure helped my standing highpower scores.

Really its all relative. wife and I have shot all kinds of things as cross training and contrary to your thoughts, at least for us, we've moved towards the top in all of them and have trophies from winning in every last cross training event we've tried.

In fact in bullseye pistol shooting, I managed to leg two 10 point hard legs, including winning an overall leg match in the first 2 legs I ever shot with a pistol 3rd one I cross fired in rapid or I've have been pistol distinguished in 3 matches. Something fairly uncommon I'd think.

Which brings me to the point, all competition is good for us. Cross training is good for us. Each competition disicpline has its hard and easy parts. We should all be helping each other out, not out here snubbing someone elses choice of sport for being too easy or not hard enough or whatever... its as arrogant as I used to be about anyone that hunted with anything other than archery... too easy to hunt, to kill, why would you. I learned after I got out of my teen yeras, we are all in this thing together.

Quick question of you though, how did you quickly change your NPA from target to target on banks? Or did you set up NPA to the last target and just have tension in the first ones?

Still need to pick your brain abou 284 loads one day if I ever bed my rifle into the stock and get to working loads in it....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NPA ? Not familiar with that acronym. Turkeys are trouble in both smallbore and centerfire.

Glad you and your wife shot smallbore. It's very fun but it's not centerfire.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rost, give him a break, he knows not what he says.

Shot that range many times, the 2 and 300 has strange wind currents, you are shooting slightly down hill at the 100 & 200, flattens at the 3. Fun range to shoot as it makes you work for it.
Hard enough to shoot from the bench with flags let alone off hand Silhouette. BTDT

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Hard enough to shoot from the bench with flags let alone off hand Silhouette. BTDT

which is what I've been trying to say. Thank you, Sir.

500 meters standing (547 yards) is a fun challenge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 204guy, 57 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.