Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Seafire
one of the best looking Jet Fighters ever built in my book... even when camo'ed.... North American F 100 Super Sabre...

Video on their service in Vietnam.

The 2 Seater Trainers were the first ones used as the New Wild Weasel Missions...

Yep.

In my late teens, I got to see one real close. My neighbor (eight years my senior) was an Air Force Academy grad and jet jock. He would fly into our area, buzz his family home, land at the nearby airbase and they'd go pick him up. This was before cell phones...

On this day, I was running my Dad's 930 Case tractor, pulling a 15" Terrain King cutter, clipping a pasture. My bud saw me and lined me up with his Mom's house. He let the F-100 slip in from behind me and when he was over me, hit the afterburner. I about had a laundry incident...!!

I remember seeing a "large" red exhaust with heat waves. Now, you know he was pretty low... He then did an 8 point vertical roll, pealed out and headed for the air base.

I recently was thinking about him and thru the Air Force Retired Officers organization hooked up after many years. He put in 20 yrs., retired as a Lt. Col., had a fancy job with a major aerospace manufacturer, retiring again. He lives in Tuscon and was very interested in local neighborhood news, who was still alive, etc. We had a nice visit.

One of his sons, also an Air Force Academy grad, is a Brig. Gen., commanding a major air base. Another son was head of the Fed Swat team that pulled the remaining Boston bomber out of that boat.

Interesting folks, Cajuns nonetheless.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/26/15.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Oh THAT Galland. Yeah they were pretty cool but they didn't fly so good without fuel.

Galland said the engines were only good for 14-20 hours before overhaul. It was the early days, after all.

Glad they didn't have those things operational in '42.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From that era, don't forget the British jets..

The Gloster Javelin had lovely lines and in many respects was a head of its time

[Linked Image]

And then there was the de Havilland Sea Vixen

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by prm

[Linked Image]

What is it?

F-14D Super Tomcat. Only 55 of this variant were produced.

+3. Granted it's an interceptor>fighter, and she's a big heavy bird, but brutish power and beautiful lines.

no sir. Pure fighter with significant interceptor capabilities, but a FIGHTER in the truest sense of the word. The F-4 in turn was an interceptor, with average fighter qualities. Bit don't mind me, I'm just a VS puke...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pete E
From that era, don't forget the British jets..

The Gloster Javelin had lovely lines and in many respects was a head of its time

[Linked Image]

And then there was the de Havilland Sea Vixen

[Linked Image]

Super KOOL! and plusses for the name!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You can run but ya can't hide... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No sure it would ever win any beauty contests, but the English Electric Lightening was another amazing Cold War era interceptor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Faster than even the Star Fighter or the later F15, the Lightening was one of the very few jets that could successfully intercept the U2..

In trials against the U2, successful intercepts were made up to 66000 feet, although test pilots had flown the Lightening up to altitudes of 88000 feet...

Last edited by Pete E; 03/26/15.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by hatari

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I'm a sucker for the look of the Me262, too... in many ways it reminds me of the absolutely gorgeous German sports cars of the 50's, especially the Mercedes Benz 300SL.

[Linked Image]

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Tomcat, at least those with the big motors, were actually quite capable dog fighters. Get those wings out and the big flat airframe generated a lot of lift at slow speeds. I was fortunate to fly for a year and a half with a guy who was very good. This was the days prior to air-to-ground so all we did was air-to-air. In that year and half we fought hundreds of dogfights against every type of aircraft (F-15C, F-16C, F-16N, A-4F, F/A-18C/D, and others) and he lost only one engagement in that entire time. For reliability purposes we had a limitation on using the flaps during training dogfights, but if you did use them we could turn inside every other fighter once the speeds dropped after the first turn. It was impressive.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Butch, I have fond memories of the F-80/T-33. I flew the AT-33, which was a hybrid model. Think of it as either an F-80 with two seats or a T-33 with bomb, rocket, and gun capability. It was crude even compared to the 60s-era jets I trained in to get my wings. But it was an honest airplane with few faults - but two of those could get you dead pretty quick.

One fault involved the tip tanks. On takeoff, they were so heavy and you had so little aileron control that if a wing dropped, you had to be damn quick on rudder and aileron to keep from going in at a 90° bank. By the time you got flaps and gear up, it wasn't so bad, but it still took a lot of heavy pressure to roll with the tips full.

The second was that huge centrifugal compressor engine. The compressor was so big and heavy that it was VERY slow to accelerate. It could take up to 15 seconds from idle to near full power as the compressor disk laboriously sped up. Pull the throttle too soon on landing and if you needed power after that, you were SOL. We learned to keep at least 80-85% power all the way through the pattern, until the flare. The slow windup also meant you had to keep pace with the throttle and not advance it too rapidly or else you'd flood the combustion chambers with excess fuel and overtemp the engine. You could even burn through the engine walls in extreme cases. No "flooring" that beast!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
FA18 Hornet. The fact my brother builds them helps as I've never flown a jet. Closest was a P-51 Mustang I got 1/2 hour flying time in.

Last edited by Jim the Plumber; 03/26/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think all of us who did/do fly envy you for that, Jim.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No sure it would ever win any beauty contests, but the English Electric Lightening was another amazing Cold War era interceptor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Faster than even the Star Fighter or the later F15, the Lightening was one of the very few jets that could successfully intercept the U2..

In trials against the U2, successful intercepts were made up to 66000 feet, although test pilots had flown the Lightening up to altitudes of 88000 feet...

looks like they borrowed some design features from various Migs

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Not to be a name dropper but I have been fortunate enough to have several extended conversations with Gen. Chuck Yeager in the past several years. He told me that there was no question in his mind that the F-15 was the best fighter plane built to this point in time.

RS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

looks like they borrowed some design features from various Migs

Not sure about that as the very early concept dates back to 1946.. A little later but still in the early design phase, they brought in a British pilot who had flown F86's and asked for his input..

It was actually nearly cancelled (like so many British products) but it was the success of another English Electric design, the Canberra light bomber, which helped justify it. It seems the Canberra's service ceiling of 50,000 feet turned enough Government heads to prove the need for a high altitude interceptor..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Not to be a name dropper but I have been fortunate enough to have several extended conversations with Gen. Chuck Yeager in the past several years. He told me that there was no question in his mind that the F-15 was the best fighter plane built to this point in time.

RS

Concur. But when the F-14B (A+) & D came out with the engines they were supposed to have and coupled with the extra set of eyes in the cockpit, I'd pick the Tomcat..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since the F-4 isn't fighter

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 458 Lott; 03/26/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The super-model of fighter aircraft; F-104 Starfighter

[Linked Image]

Best looking fighter today; F-22
[Linked Image]

Best looking fighter the Russians ever made: SU-27 Series
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Since the F-4 isn't fighter

[Linked Image]

DING, DING, DING..........we have a winner!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They pretty much are ALL hard not to love...but we each still have our favorites... I love the lines of an F 100, along with the F 86 and just like the P 51, North American sure knew how to build a good looking fighter....

I grew up around F4s.... Love them, they looked badasssed from day one, but never thought they were as good looking as an F100.

And as brought up, the F 106 was also another wonderful and good looking plane....

Good reason it was called the Golden Age of Military Aviation, kind of like Aviations "Muscle Car" era....defintely a wonderful time to be in the Air Force....

and no intention of leaving out the great birds the US Navy employed either....

side note for Pete E.... might be the time I lived in England, but the Lightning was THE fighter plane for the RAF during those times... and a good looking bird on its own. I always considered it another favorite...definitely the "Spitfire" of the 1960s Cold War period.

I tell ya, growing up on Air Force bases in the 50s and 60s wasn't a dull or boring childhood, that's for darn sure... I know Digital Dan can attest to that...he was an AF Brat also...

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.