Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What do you think?

Guilty or Not Guilty?

Should the U.S. extradite her if found guilty?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1955104/amanda-knox-verdict-what-will-friday-bring/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wasn't there to hear the evidence so I can't judge whether she's guilty or not. However, the appeals court acquitted her so she should not be extradited. The Italian court system bounces around like an Australian marsupial.

All the same, if I was a young single man again, I doubt I'd want to date here.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, here the rule of Double Jeopardy would apply.

Lotsa hoopla for a liberal gal, though.

My guess is that we aren't done with it. It's worse than the OJ Simpson debacle.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if she was an old fat nasty woman, would we even hear about it?

I guess my take is, she is out on appeal, she hightailed it back home to the USA and she had to expect this day would come.

I suspect she has spent the time here in the U.S. making sure she never has to set foot on Italian soil again.

I have no idea as to her guilt or not but I've heard that some of the evidence was questionable at best and the man she was tried with has been inconsistent and flipped between supporting Knox and trying to save his own ass.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Unlike OJ, though, she didn't have the money to buy a jury to get a guaranteed acquittal. He spent a million on his and it worked.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Acquitted. Innocent. Free woman.

I'd hit it.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
if she was an old fat nasty woman, would we even hear about it?

I guess my take is, she is out on appeal, she hightailed it back home to the USA and she had to expect this day would come.

I suspect she has spent the time here in the U.S. making sure she never has to set foot on Italian soil again.

I have no idea as to her guilt or not but I've heard that some of the evidence was questionable at best and the man she was tried with has been inconsistent and flipped between supporting Knox and trying to save his own ass.

I think the way that shook out was that she appealed and won the appeal, and she was freed. She then returned to the U.S.

Then sometime later, they charged her again with the murder and she refused to go back to face a second trial, after she was cleared with the appeal case she won.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.

I have only casually followed this saga, but she was acquitted, and then when public opinion in Italy raged, they retried until they got the verdict they wanted.

Her story smells and is a little to funky for me. However, she was acquitted the first time around, and we are a nation that is founded on the principle of no double jeopardy. England was notorious for that, and retried people and enemies of the State until they got a guilty verdict. That is why our Founding Fathers insisted on trail by jury and no double jeopardy.

She may be guilty or not, but I would not extradite her, and if I were her I'd have an escape plan to Paraguay, assuming they don't play ball with the Italians on such matters. No way I'd go to an Italian prison with her notoriety. Death sentence.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
With O at the helm, she needs to be ready to bolt!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Regardless of the outcome of the latest trial, her life is pretty much fugged up.

Ask Monica Lewinsky.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
She was initially found guilty and served some time, about 2 years IIRC. The was aquitted on appeal and released. After she was released the appeal was appealed and this is the 2nd trial which she didn't attend.

Based on what I've seen the evidence against her is pretty sketchy. She MIGHT be guilty of being stupid, but I'm not sure about murder. I'd not support sending her back under the circumstances.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's our extradition treaty with Italy say?

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe she would have a good case to fight extradition due to protection under US law for Double Jeopardy, which doesn't appear to exist in Italy.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Regardless of the outcome of the latest trial, her life is pretty much fugged up.

Ask Monica Lewinsky.
The news media is now making Monica look like a nice lady who got some bad press at the time. Not so with Amanda.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I hate to say this but if she's convicted again, the decision to extradite comes down to 1 man - John Kerry. I'd say that he would do it to 'protect' US-Italian relations, constitution be damned.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd hate to have my fate hinging on anyone with the Obama administration.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never heard the evidence either, so I have no idea. I think in their system, however, one has to almost prove innocence.

I doubt our powers would hand her over.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/26/15.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Never heard the evidence either, so I have no idea. I think in their system, however, one has to almost prove innocence.

I doubt our powers would hand her over.

I never thought we'd deal with terrorists, trading 5 of them for a deserter that got fellow soldiers killed when they looked for his sorry ass either.

Nothing surprises me anymore. I've come to even expect that if something is clearly in the right, the O administration will do the opposite, and do the wrong thing.

And thumb their noses at Americans afterward. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I believe that under our extradition treaty with Italy we're compelled to extradite her. Double jeopardy applies in the U.S. but not Italy, and if she is convicted there then we're required to send her back.

Nobody in this administration is going to stand up for her, they'll hand her over. I don't know whether or not she's guilty, but the Italian legal system and her case in particular is a farce. There's no hope she could ever receive a fair trial and ethically there's no way she should be sent back.

If I were her I'd be headed somewhere that doesn't have an extradition treaty with Italy and plan on living out my life there.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I believe that under our extradition treaty with Italy we're compelled to extradite her. Double jeopardy applies in the U.S. but not Italy, and if she is convicted there then we're required to send her back.

Nobody in this administration is going to stand up for her, they'll hand her over. I don't know whether or not she's guilty, but the Italian legal system and her case in particular is a farce. There's no hope she could ever receive a fair trial and ethically there's no way she should be sent back.

If I were her I'd be headed somewhere that doesn't have an extradition treaty with Italy and plan on living out my life there.

I agree. Sadly.

But... Extraditions can be worked out between governments. Much like when a death penalty case suspect is caught in Mexico or another country and they refuse to extradite, even though the treaty is in place.

Negotiations CAN happen.

I just wouldn't count on Zero's team to put forth any effort at all. I think they'd simply hand her over.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.